1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 16:16
    Some say Assange is not a journalist. Since journalists have more free speech protection from prosecution the Sate Dept. has decided to argue Assange is not a journalist so they can throw him in prison like Bradley Manning, the guy that leaked the information.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/10/state-dept-decides-julian-assange-not-a-
    journalist/

I have not heard a good debate on this, so is he or isn't he?
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 16:20
    I haven't heard a good argument as to how he isn't.
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 16:23
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Some say Assange is not a journalist. Since journalists have more free speech protection from prosecution the Sate Dept. has decided to argue Assange is not a journalist so they can throw him in prison like Bradley Manning, the guy that leaked the information.

journalist/

of course he is a journalist, and a very good one at that.
  4. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 17:276 edits
    Webster says a journalist is a writer that aims at a mass audience.

I have trouble seeing why he wouldn't qualify.

I don't buy at all the argument that journalists can't have a viewpoint. That sounds to me like a state that doesn't understand the concept of freedom of the press. Should we have a list of state approved journalists with an "independent" viewpoint? Of course not.

I suppose you're going to tell me that Fox news is unbiased too. NPR too, right?
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:13
    Originally posted by Metal Brain

journalist/

Of course he's a journalist.

Furthermore, he needs no free speech protection as no American charges have been brought against him. If and when that happens, this issue becomes much more relevant.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Of course he's a journalist.

Furthermore, he needs no free speech protection as no American charges have been brought against him. If and when that happens, this issue becomes much more relevant.
    Since when was he subject to US law?
  7. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:36
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    As soon as he's extradited to the U.S.
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:37

The claim, which was announced by US Assistant Secretary of State P.J. Crowley came with the justification that Assange has an “agenda” behind his activities, which in this case appears to be the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist.”

Read that bolded part a few times and reflect.
    Revealing the truth is incompatible with being a journalist......

And on the question at hand, some psychos want to require licensing to be considered a journalist.
    http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/03/meet-the-man-and-the-mustache

Patterson, reports FishBowl NY, wants to pass a law that ould require license applicants to possess, among other things:
    1) "Good moral character";
    2) a degree in journalism;
    3) three writing samples.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:37
    He's probably not subject to US law. In theory he could be if he, for example, used a computer to hack into American databases to steal information. But, of course, there's no suggestion that this occurred.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:42
    Originally posted by joneschr
    As soon as he's extradited to the U.S.
    I wish I could say that I would be extremely shocked if they found an excuse to do that and there will be people here cheer leading and spouting apologetics for it.

They'll extradite him to the US and then they'll argue that he doesn't deserve due process or a defense because he's not a citizen.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    He's probably not subject to US law. In theory he could be if he, for example, used a computer to hack into American databases to steal information. But, of course, there's no suggestion that this occurred.
    A few questions:
    Do journalists have higher protection in free speech cases in the US? (Elsewhere?)
    If yes, how does the law define a journalist?
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    Give it time... someone will suggest it 😉
  13. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:462 edits

They'll extradite him to the US and then they'll argue that he doesn't deserve due process or a defense because he's not a citizen.
    Exactly. Well, he doesn't deserve due process because he's not a citizen. And he doesn't deserve freedom of the press because he's a "political actor". Don't worry, they'll find a way to make him fall under the other new invention... "enemy combatant". The great thing about U.S. law seems to be that we can make it up as we go along.
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 18:55
    Originally posted by tmetzler

The claim, which was announced by US Assistant Secretary of State P.J. Crowley came with the justification that [b]Assange has an “agenda” behind his activities, which in this case appears to be the goal of seeing the truth revealed to the public, which is wholly incompatible with being a “journalist.”

Read that bolded part a few t ...[text shortened]...
    1) "Good moral character";
    2) a degree in journalism;
    3) three writing samples.
    [/quote][/b]
    This is laughable at best, these days its very hard to find someone in the media who doesn't have an agenda, and yet they're all considered journalists.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 19:01
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Exactly. Well, he doesn't deserve due process because he's not a citizen. And he doesn't deserve freedom of the press because he's a "political actor". Don't worry, they'll find a way to make him fall under the other new invention... "enemy combatant". The great thing about U.S. law seems to be that we can make it up as we go along.
    Maybe you can whine about evil US conduct after it happens rather than before it happens.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree