1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 23:51
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Well, now we have it from a real authority.
    yeah you're prolly right the Swedes love the CIA and their justice department does whatever they say
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 23:59
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    yeah you're prolly right the Swedes love the CIA and their justice department does whatever they say
    I actually don't think the charges necessarily have anything to do with the CIA. I don't know.

I do think that the timing and circumstances surrounding the charges are suspicious, but that doesn't require the CIA.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:12
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I actually don't think the charges necessarily have anything to do with the CIA. I don't know.

I do think that the timing and circumstances surrounding the charges are suspicious, but that doesn't require the CIA.
    Then why the smart mouth comment?
  4. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:47
    Assange is no journalist. He recieved private communiques and posted them on the internet. It's no different then if someone hacked your email and posted that on the internet.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:51
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Assange is no journalist. He recieved private communiques and posted them on the internet. It's no different then if someone hacked your email and posted that on the internet.
    Yeah that's my thought, cutting and pasting does not a journalist make, although he's written some stuff all by himself, it's not what he's in trouble for.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:52
    Then why the smart mouth comment?
    Why not?

Just because I don't think it's necessarily the cia doesn't mean you (or anyone here really) can authoritatively say that the CIA wasn't involved.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:53
    Actually, it's very different. He didn't hack anything.

So what makes someone a journalist in your view?
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:59
    ...by that criteria, what does that make Woodward and Bernstein?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:11
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ...by that criteria, what does that make Woodward and Bernstein?
    They were reporters for the Washington Post...or didn't you know that?
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:13
    Do you have to be hired by a newspaper or news organization to be a journalist?
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:24
    I did know that, but the nature of investigative journalism meant that they did a lot of digging and did not stop short because it might embarrass someone. The 'truth' is all that mattered.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:39
    Originally posted by sh76
    He's probably not subject to US law. In theory he could be if he, for example, used a computer to hack into American databases to steal information. But, of course, there's no suggestion that this occurred.
    He could be subject to US law under a "shooting from Canada" theory.
  13. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:43
    I heard a discussion about assange on the Diane Rehm show recently with a NY Times foreign correspondent named John Burns. He said assange was not a journalist. 3 other folks on the panel agreed with him.
    Assange is basically doing the job that the NY Times used to do... spilling as much classified info as possible, in hopes of harming the United States.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:45
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Assange is basically doing the job that the NY Times used to do... spilling as much classified info as possible, in hopes of harming the United States.
    The NY Times was trying to "harm the United States"?
  15. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 01:46
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_%E2%80%93_United_States_relations

sarcasm will get you into trouble...!

"In the Statement of Government Policy presented to the Swedish parliament on October 6, 2006, the new centre-right Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt declared that the new government will work for a "strengthening of the transatlantic link".[6] Reinfeldt's party, the Moderate Party, is more pro-American than the social democrats and supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq and Swedish membership of NATO. It has some ties with the Republican Party. Reinfeldt visited President Bush at the White House on May 15, 2007."

and this:-

"The United States and Sweden have strong economic relations. The United States is currently the third largest Swedish export trade partner,[7] and US companies are the most represented foreign companies in Sweden."

and this:-

" Although Sweden has a longstanding policy of political neutrality in international affairs, Sweden is a participant in the NATO affiliated Partnership for Peace and the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council. Sweden currently participates with around 500 troops in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), under the command of NATO, in Afghanistan. Two of the four parties in the ruling coalition supports NATO membership.

During the Cold War, the Swedish government secretly made preparations to receive military aid from the United States in case of Soviet aggression.[8]

AND YOU THINK THE CIA DOES NOT HAVE THEIR NUMBER...???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree