1. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:11
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Actually, it's very different. He didn't hack anything.

So what makes someone a journalist in your view?
    You're splitting hairs. I understand that he didn't hack anything, but that was private correspondence.

When the NY Times published these they actually followed them up to provide background and context. I don't think that posting someone's private correspondence to the web makes you a journalist. I don't think they should punish Assange, but they should punish the people who leaked him the info.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:12
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    He could be subject to US law under a "shooting from Canada" theory.
    But it doesn't appear that he gathered the info illegally. If he stole it electronically, I could see the theory. But since someone voluntarily gave it to him, I don't see why the US would have jurisdiction.
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:13
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yeah that's my thought, cutting and pasting does not a journalist make, although he's written some stuff all by himself, it's not what he's in trouble for.
    Well, but cutting and pasting really does a journalist make. Uncovering info and revealing it is journalism. It may not be very good journalism. But it's journalism.
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:14
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ...by that criteria, what does that make Woodward and Bernstein?
    The only thing I know about Woodward and Bernstein is that they broke the watergate story. Is that relatable to this?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:161 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    But it doesn't appear that he gathered the info illegally. If he stole it electronically, I could see the theory. But since someone voluntarily gave it to him, I don't see why the US would have jurisdiction.
    Lawyers at the State Department feel differently and have so informed Assange:

Legal adviser to the Department of State Harold Koh wrote in a letter to Robinson and Assange on Nov. 27 that, if any of the classified materials were provided by any government officials or intermediaries without proper authorization, they were provided in violation of U.S. law. "As long as WikiLeaks holds such material," Koh wrote, "the violation of the law is ongoing."

http://westlawnews.thomson.com/National_Litigation/News/2010/11_-_November/Active_U_S__criminal_probe_into_WikiLeaks_release/

The Koh letter also referred to the information obtained by wikileaks as: "illegally obtained US government classified materials". Full text of the Koh letter is at: http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/documents/2010/11/harold-koh-letter-to-wikileaks--november-27-2010.php?page=1
  7. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 02:19
    Well, but cutting and pasting really does a journalist make. Uncovering info and revealing it is journalism. It may not be very good journalism. But it's journalism.
    I don't think that's so and neither do lots of professional journalists.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 06:23
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Some say Assange is not a journalist. Since journalists have more free speech protection from prosecution the Sate Dept. has decided to argue Assange is not a journalist so they can throw him in prison like Bradley Manning, the guy that leaked the information.

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/12/10/state-dept-decides-julian-assange-not-a-
    journalist/

I have not heard a good debate on this, so is he or isn't he?
    God damned US imperialist bastards.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 06:23
    Lawyers at the State Department feel differently and have so informed Assange:

Legal adviser to the Department of State Harold Koh wrote in a letter to Robinson and Assange on Nov. 27 that, if any of the classified materials were provided by any government officials or intermediaries without proper authorization, they were provided in ...[text shortened]... intsmemo.com/documents/2010/11/harold-koh-letter-to-wikileaks--november-27-2010.php?page=1
    How can Assange be accountable in the US?
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 06:29
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    How can Assange be accountable in the US?
    ProTip: because we rule the world.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 06:47
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    CIA doesn't have anything to do with the rape charge
    Says who? CIA?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 06:48
    What's the matter? No confidence in your own justice system to sort this one out?
    In this case? No. When CIA pulls the strings, the Swedish prosecutor jumps.
  13. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 11:25
    The NY Times was trying to "harm the United States"?
    The Times made a habit of putting classified info on their front pages over the past 9 years
  14. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 12:23
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    The Times made a habit of putting classified info on their front pages over the past 9 years
    So my country right or wrong hey? Loyalty and patriotism say you cover up the sins with the flag and everything's okay, right?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 12:45
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    God damned US imperialist bastards.
    Sorry about my government's ambitions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree