1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '10 23:47
    Originally posted by sh76
    I agree with Pal and PP. Assange's character has nothing to do with Wikileaks. I just can't stand the guy and am using this opportunity to drag him through the mud a bit.

Why, you ask, do I not like him? Is it because he released documents that may hurt US interests? Well, one can never rule out the workings of one's subconscious, but I don't think so.

He ...[text shortened]... f course, I don't have adequate information to make a judgment on that issue.
    Man, if you don't get that stick out of your ass you're going to get an infection from the splinters. 😉
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 00:59
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Man, if you don't get that stick out of your ass you're going to get an infection from the splinters. 😉
    I had a comeback about Assange and something else of his that might instead be somewhere else in reference to his defenders on this board.

I tried to find a way of using the comeback without being rude, but I couldn't figure out a way to do so, so I'm just going to let it go.

😛
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 12:471 edit
    I agree with Pal and PP. Assange's character has nothing to do with Wikileaks. I just can't stand the guy and am using this opportunity to drag him through the mud a bit.

Why, you ask, do I not like him? Is it because he released documents that may hurt US interests? Well, one can never rule out the workings of one's subconscious, but I don't think so.

He f course, I don't have adequate information to make a judgment on that issue.
    From what I've seen of him and his personality, I have no trouble believing that he's capable of being a rapist.

What??!!

I pity the person whoever might end up having you as a juror.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 14:50
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]From what I've seen of him and his personality, I have no trouble believing that he's capable of being a rapist.

What??!!

I pity the person whoever might end up having you as a juror.[/b]
    You shouldn't, really.

I'm quite capable of applying the law and holding the prosecution to its beyond a reasonable doubt standard.

As this forum is NOT a jury, I am held to no such standard.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 14:56
    You shouldn't, really.

I'm quite capable of applying the law and holding the prosecution to its beyond a reasonable doubt standard.

Right, so you have no problem with guilty until proven innocent outside the confines of a court of law.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 15:221 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Right, so you have no problem with guilty until proven innocent outside the confines of a court of law.
    Strawman.

I did not say I thought he was guilty; but that I would have no trouble believing that he was capable of being guilty.

Furthermore, the context was several posters asserting (with no basis) that the charges against him are fabrications/conspiracies/CIA directed harassment/whatever. In that context, I said that it would not surprise me if he were guilty; although I obviously made no assertion that I knew one way or the other. (Quite the contrary, I said many times that I do not know if he's guilty.)

If anything, the US government is the entity that appears to be "guilty until proven innocent" in the context of this board. I'll expect your criticism of all the people who have already "convicted" the CIA of being involved in the Assange rape charges forthwith.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 15:31
    Strawman.

I did not say I thought he was guilty; but that I would have no trouble believing that he was capable of being guilty.

Furthermore, the context was several posters asserting (with no basis) that the charges against him are fabrications/conspiracies/CIA directed harassment/whatever. In that context, I said that it would not surprise me if he were ...[text shortened]... have already "convicted" the CIA of being involved in the Assange rape charges forthwith.
    Who really is innocent on this board until proven guilty? I don't see many, if any, who are truly given that benefit.

So I guess your statement goes to being basically meaningless. Heck, I have no trouble believing just about everyone on earth is capable of being guilty - even you.

Of course, I have to criticize everyone in order to be "fair"? Ridiculous. I'll wait to see your own consistent criticism on everything on an internet forum. I won't hold my breath. I don't expect anyone to consistently criticize everyone on everything that they might think is wrong - it's a ridiculous and impossible standard to hold anyone to.

I've already expressed my doubt about the CIA's involvement, but apparently I have to criticize every single person who might have made the claim?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 15:41
    Who really is innocent on this board until proven guilty? I don't see many, if any, who are truly given that benefit.

So I guess your statement goes to being basically meaningless. Heck, I have no trouble believing just about everyone on earth is capable of being guilty - even you.

Of course, I have to criticize everyone in order to be "fair"? Rid ...[text shortened]... , but apparently I have to criticize every single person who might have made the claim?
    Of course you don't have to do anything. I think that if you unfairly criticize me for assuming Assange's guilt, then you might as well fairly criticize others for assuming the CIA's guilt. But, of course, it's certainly up to you.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 15:51
    Of course you don't have to do anything. I think that if you unfairly criticize me for assuming Assange's guilt, then you might as well fairly criticize others for assuming the CIA's guilt. But, of course, it's certainly up to you.
    I think I essentially have done what you have asked - perhaps not as directly as you would like. Maybe I should have added some personal insults or something to make it "fair". Let me know the verbiage that you would find acceptable and "fair" and "balanced" if you will.

I'm aware that I don't have to do anything captain obvious - yet another meaningless statement. You also don't have to worry about criticizing someone for not living up to a standard I'm willing to bet you (or anyone) wouldn't be able to live up to ... your choice.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 16:00
    I think I essentially have done what you have asked - perhaps not as directly as you would like. Maybe I should have added some personal insults or something to make it "fair". Let me know the verbiage that you would find acceptable and "fair" and "balanced" if you will.

I'm aware that I don't have to do anything captain obvious - yet another meaningl ...[text shortened]... rd I'm willing to bet you (or anyone) wouldn't be able to live up to ... your choice.
    Relax. That was just a little tweak. I didn't mean to get under your skin; I'm sorry if I did.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 18:14
    You shouldn't, really.

So Mr Haas, what criteria does Mr Assange fit for you to believe that he is capable of raping a women?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 18:242 edits
    So Mr Haas, what criteria does Mr Assange fit for you to believe that he is capable of raping a women?
    Well, I'm not sure I like the direction this is going. I never said I thought he did it and I'm not going to put myself in a position where I'm going to be pressed to argue the probability of something completely speculative. As such, I'm going to reserve further comment on the question of whether Mr. Assange may or may not be guilty of rape until more evidence comes out on the subject. If this is perceived as a back-off, then so be it. An online message board format is not nuanced enough for this type of discussion.

Congrats on the detective work, BTW, Mr. Knob 😉
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 18:282 edits
    Knobileaks rules.

Actually I think you leaked that yourself sh, with links to online pictures as I recall.

Edit: Not that that's any justification for Mr. Knob outing it again. It's the Assange dilemma all over again, writ very very small.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 19:01
    Well, I'm not sure I like the direction this is going. I never said I thought he did it and I'm not going to put myself in a position where I'm going to be pressed to argue the probability of something completely speculative. As such, I'm going to reserve further comment on the question of whether Mr. Assange may or may not be guilty of rape until more evidence ...[text shortened]... nced enough for this type of discussion.

Fair enough. I just thought this comment you made -

From what I've seen of him and his personality, I have no trouble believing that he's capable of being a rapist, though of course, I don't have adequate information to make a judgment on that issue.

You don't have enough information to make a judgement, yet you have enough to believe he could be capable of rape?! That's slightly bizarre logic.

Congrats on the detective work, BTW, Mr. Knob.

The internet is a world of information.
  15. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 Dec '10 19:31
    The internet is a world of information.
    Yeah sure, but ...

You agree to not use the Service to:

Post, email or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

...Snip...

"Stalk" or otherwise harass another; or

Collect or store personal data about other users.

Just sayin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree