Katyn Massacre Redux

Katyn Massacre Redux

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
207d

Even the BBC, which splashed a big headline yesterday about the hospital being destroyed by an "Israeli Strike" is now, ever so reluctantly, moving towards conceding that Israel had nothing to do with it.

We consulted experts to establish whether the available evidence - including the size of the explosion and the sounds heard beforehand - could be used to determine its cause.

So far the findings are inconclusive. BBC Verify has shown the evidence to a number of weapons experts, some of whom say it is not consistent with what you would expect from a typical Israeli airstrike.

J Andres Gannon, an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University, in the US, says the explosion appears to be small, meaning that the heat generated from the impact may have been caused by leftover rocket fuel rather than an explosion from a warhead.

Justin Bronk, a senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute (Rusi) in the UK, agrees. While it is difficult to be sure at such an early stage, he says, the evidence looks like the explosion was caused by a failed rocket section hitting the car park and causing a fuel and propellant fire.

Mr Gannon says it is not possible to determine from the footage whether the projectile struck its intended target.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67144061

You can almost feel the BBC's disappointment. They can't believe they've been proven to have rushed to judgment and that they can't rip Israeli about this one.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
206d
1 edit

BBC just put this update on its live feed. So they are gradually going to stop blaming Israel. Doing it too suddenly will make them look negligent for blaming Israel too early

BBC Verify is trying to unravel what is, and isn't, known about the blast at the Al-Ahli hospital.

The explosion happened at around 19:00 local time on Tuesday. Footage surfaced on social media showing what appears to be the same blast from different angles and distances.

The BBC was able to match details of buildings and the layout of the Al-Ahli hospital site with publicly available satellite imagery, to establish the hospital was the scene of the blast.

We consulted a number of weapons experts to establish whether the available video evidence could be used to determine its cause.

So far the findings are inconclusive.

One expert says it is not consistent with what you would expect from a typical Israeli airstrike. Another says the evidence looks like the explosion was caused by a failed rocket section hitting the car park.

Several experts we spoke to were not willing to put forward a view on what happened.

Click here to read more on what we’ve discovered about the hospital blast.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67141589

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
206d

@sh76 said
Nothing is ever 100% on these things, but I'd call the odds that it was a failed Palestinian rocket that hit the hospital something like 99%.

https://twitter.com/GeoConfirmed/status/1714390254935851272

(clearly nonpartisan source here)

If you want an admittedly partisan source, but with lots of backup, here:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/haters-wont-be-swayed-but-ham ...[text shortened]... s still keeping the wool over its eyes to intentionally stoke Israel (and by extention, Jew) hatred.
Well there was a 100% probability that you would immediately and uncritically accept whatever yarn the IDF spun.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
206d

@sonhouse said
@Mott-The-Hoople
I wouldn't put it past Hamas to do the dirty work like that but most likely a misfired rocket intended for Israel.
Of course they have the ability to wilfully bomb their own if necessary. But it is more likely a failed rocket launch. I saw some figures of failed rocket launches issued by IDF and its several dozen in the last few days. These often fall back on their own Gaza residents and sometimes detonate, killing their own people .. friendly fire.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
206d

@rajk999 said
BBC just put this update on its live feed. So they are gradually going to stop blaming Israel. Doing it too suddenly will make them look negligent for blaming Israel too early

[i] BBC Verify is trying to unravel what is, and isn't, known about the blast at the Al-Ahli hospital.

The explosion happened at around 19:00 local t ...[text shortened]... ******************************************
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67141589
Why did an aide to Netanyahu post a tweet saying: " Israeli Air Force struck a Hamas terrorist base inside a hospital in Gaza" several hours after the blast?https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/18/what-is-israels-narrative-on-the-gaza-hospital-explosion

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
206d

@no1marauder said
Why did an aide to Netanyahu post a tweet saying: " Israeli Air Force struck a Hamas terrorist base inside a hospital in Gaza" several hours after the blast?https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/18/what-is-israels-narrative-on-the-gaza-hospital-explosion
I dunno. But that can be very incriminating if true. It means its a massive coverup involving the US as well.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
206d

@rajk999 said
I dunno. But that can be very incriminating if true. It means its a massive coverup involving the US as well.
It's been done before; Google "USS Liberty".

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
206d

@no1marauder said
Well there was a 100% probability that you would immediately and uncritically accept whatever yarn the IDF spun.
I actually waited 18 hours to see what the evidence indicates before I made a judgment.

You can't possibly still believe this was likely an Israel strike, do you?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
206d

@no1marauder said
Because he jumped the gun to defend Israel before the facts were out.

Duh.

That doesn't change the fact that all physical evidence indicates this was most likely a Palestinian missile.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
206d
1 edit

@sh76 said
Because he jumped the gun to defend Israel before the facts were out.

Duh.

That doesn't change the fact that all physical evidence indicates this was most likely a Palestinian missile.
I see a bunch of independent experts saying the evidence is "inconclusive" and even the NSC hedging.

Don't see your "99%" certainty.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
206d

@sh76 said
[quote]American officials say they have multiple strands of intelligence — including infrared satellite data — indicating that the deadly blast at a Gaza hospital on Tuesday was caused by Palestinian fighters.

The intelligence includes satellite and other infrared data showing a launch of a rocket or missile from Palestinian fighter positions within Gaza. American intelligenc ...[text shortened]... ps://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/18/world/israel-hamas-war-biden-gaza#hospital-gaza-us-intelligence
There's a lot here about the "launch" of a rocket. Can the rocket from that launch be definitively traced to the impact point by the hospital?

That rockets were in the air somewhere near the hospital doesn't prove they were what hit the hospital and if Israel traced the area of the rocket's launch they would have an incentive to target that area.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
206d

@no1marauder said
There's a lot here about the "launch" of a rocket. Can the rocket from that launch be definitively traced to the impact point by the hospital?

That rockets were in the air somewhere near the hospital doesn't prove they were what hit the hospital and if Israel traced the area of the rocket's launch they would have an incentive to target that area.
Here he is again, the air strike expert.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
206d

@wajoma said
Here he is again, the air strike expert.
At least I know what an "airstrike" is which is more than you could say yesterday (before I educated you).

Moves
206d

@no1marauder said
"Why did an aide to Netanyahu post a tweet saying:"

he didnt! he retweeted a Reuters article, then realized the article wasnt correct, then deleted his retweet.

READ you own link.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
206d
1 edit

@no1marauder said
At least I know what an "airstrike" is which is more than you could say yesterday (before I educated you).
The good thing is your audience here is about 3 or 4 all of whom are aware of your anti Israel biases, limiting the damage that can come from your unfounded, unproven, unqualified, false commentary.