1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 15:00
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I've said from right after 9/11/2001 to the present, that responders to that event, and others who died in it, did not automatically deserve more favorable treatment than Americans who suffered injury or death in traffic accidents, or other terrorist events.

Because of the large numbers of victims, Americans who are generally a compassionate group fe ...[text shortened]... to traffic accidents and crime reports die and are already given substantial insurance coverage.
    "I've said from right after 9/11/2001 to the present, that responders to that event, and others who died in it, did not automatically deserve more favorable treatment than Americans who suffered injury or death in traffic accidents, or other terrorist events. "
    yes, you were an ashole then as well.

your lame nirvana fallacy aside (all americans deserve healthcare, so if you can't give them to all because you're such a poor country, nobody should get it), 9/11 responders are in total about 30 thousand. you are perfectly capable of covering their medical expenses. these are 30 thousand people who didn't watch 9/11 from the comfort of their couches like you did. these are 30 thousand people who worked day and night in horrible conditions (despite Bush assuring them the sites are safe) just for a chance to save one more american. are you telling them they must die of cancer for their efforts because america is incapable of providing universal healthcare?

what about veterans? WWII, Koreea, Vietnam, Golf, they aren't deserving of medical care as well?

"First responders, in regular house fires, as well as cops responding to traffic accidents and crime reports die and are already given substantial insurance coverage."
    those are cops and firemen who might be covered. first responders were not all firemen. some were just decent americans. they are those who when presented with a tragedy behave differently than you.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 15:02
    [b]A decent society would organise its resources collectively to secure for everyone decent care based on need, not ability to pay.

Sounds like the old Soviet mantra. How did that work out in practice?[/b]
    or sounds like denmark, sweeden, norway, other european countries. how do they work in practice?
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    05 Dec '15 15:33
    [b]A decent society would organise its resources collectively to secure for everyone decent care based on need, not ability to pay.

Sounds like the old Soviet mantra. How did that work out in practice?[/b]
    Even Cuba has better health outcomes for lower spending than the US but hey let's not put facts in the way of blinkered prejudice. However, social democratic countries across Europe have devised a variety of systems that work well and that cause us to look at the USA with astonishment. You are so ideologically blinded that you are unable to find a route out of the trap you have created for yourselves: huge, ridiculous spending on a technologically sophisticated and adminisitratively chaotic nightmare of buraucracy, with over a third of what you spend on health vanishing into administrative overheads.

That is the way you Americans have allowed your society to be organised because you are unable to develop social commitment and collective engagement around desirable outcomes.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    06 Dec '15 18:28
    it's funny how little interest this issue gets.
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 01:081 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    :'(
  6. Germany
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 07:39
    or sounds like denmark, sweeden, norway, other european countries. how do they work in practice?
    I think norm usually reverts to his "but some day..." vague prophecies about the imminent downfall of universal health care. Of course, ignoring that it is cheaper and more efficient and has been around for many decades.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 09:57
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I think norm usually reverts to his "but some day..." vague prophecies about the imminent downfall of universal health care. Of course, ignoring that it is cheaper and more efficient and has been around for many decades.
    norm knows perfectly well but pretends he doesn't that socializm is not synonymous with communism. he knows those countries have solid, free market economies (to one degree or another). they simply have chosen to give their citizens some safety nets in case "bad stuff happens"
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Dec '15 13:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It has generally improved all over the world during the same time period. Progress in the field of health care the world over.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 09:42
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5xvbon/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-jon-stewart-calls-out-mitch-mcconnell

"Mitch McConnell pulled the zadroga bill because he didn't get concessions on oil exports"
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 10:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I wonder how long he's going to keep up the joke of pretending not to be an American.

He's already slipped up at least two times.

The ice is getting thin.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:12
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I wonder how long he's going to keep up the joke of pretending not to be an American.

He's already slipped up at least two times.

The ice is getting thin.
    yes, 9/11 first responders need healthcare. in the video i linked only 1 of the four representatives from the first time jon stewart tackled this managed to come back (2 are very sick and one is dead), american elected officials are quite willing to let heroes die for political reasons.

and you and duchess care if i am american or not.

i lost respect for her a long time ago but i was on the fence about you. thank you for clarifying this conundrum for me.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:391 edit
    yes, 9/11 first responders need healthcare. in the video i linked only 1 of the four representatives from the first time jon stewart tackled this managed to come back (2 are very sick and one is dead), american elected officials are quite willing to let heroes die for political reasons.

and you and duchess care if i am american or not.

i lost respe ...[text shortened]... long time ago but i was on the fence about you. thank you for clarifying this conundrum for me.
    Oh goodgollygosh, no!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost your respect!!!!!!!

Whatever will I do???

By the way, were you there, protesting against your Prime Minister concerning the Colectiv nightclub fire?

How did you feel about it?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:47
    I certainly feel bad for first responders who developed health problems, but they're eligible for the same government benefits everyone else is. Why is a 9/11 first responder inherently more special and more deserving of benefits than a factory worker in Sheboygan who had a heart attack?
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    I certainly feel bad for first responders who developed health problems, but they're eligible for the same government benefits everyone else is. Why is a 9/11 first responder inherently more special and more deserving of benefits than a factory worker in Sheboygan who had a heart attack?
    "but they're eligible for the same government benefits everyone else is. "
    they performed a task that nobody else did. they are entitled to benefits because of that.

"Why is a 9/11 first responder inherently more special and more deserving of benefits than a factory worker in Sheboygan who had a heart attack?"
    because the sheboyganer didn't work in hazardous conditions during a tragic event.

say you are a lion tamer. are you supporting the idea that lion tamers should not get lion bite treatments because the hairdresser from sheboygan doesn't?

would you say women shouldn't get gynecology coverage until you (as a man) also get them?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 14:41
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Oh goodgollygosh, no!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me it isn't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lost your respect!!!!!!!

Whatever will I do???

By the way, were you there, protesting against your Prime Minister concerning the Colectiv nightclub fire?

How did you feel about it?
    i am glad you can use google.

on the subject of the romanian prime minister, the colectiv fire was simply a pretext used by the population to demand the resignation of a corrupt and incompetent prime minister (under current investigation for corruption) and a pretext used by the prime minister to gather a modicum of decency and step down to make it appear he is obeying the wishes of his people (we demanded his resignation on numerous other occasions. the prime minister had nothing to do with the fire, he was just the most obvious boil on the diseased romanian political system.

club colectiv fire was the tragic effect of a festival of incompetence, stupidity, corruption, bad luck. it made my blood boil with anger. that is how it made me feel.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree