1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:23
    Originally posted by e4chris
    replace smuggle with take - and yes that is a fair description and one which would put of at least half there punters...
    Drugs like cocaine are illegal in Indonesia. This fact does not deter millions of tourists who respect the local laws from coming here every year. Where do you get the idea that half of them would not come here if they were reminded that "Drugs like cocaine are illegal in Indonesia" when they were booking their tickets?
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Drugs like cocaine are illegal in Indonesia. This fact does not deter millions of tourists who respect the local laws from coming here every year. Where do you get the idea that half of them would not come here if they were reminded that "Drugs like cocaine are illegal in Indonesia" when they were booking their tickets?
    the exact same tourists would expect and receive an indifference to drug use in spain - so i would never, not ever sell them a tricket to bali.

Why on earth are they coming down so hard on drugs when this is going on fmf?

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/11/08/terrifying-trade-child-prostitutes-bali.html
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    Have you seen Bali marketing itself as a place where people smuggling cocaine should feel safe going? Rather than "strip them out the catalogue", why don't you urge travel agents to market Bali as 'a great holiday destination - but not if you want to smuggle drugs'?
    The problem is that most exotic destinations include available drugs. Mexico, the Bahamas, Jamaica all have pretty readily available drugs. Even Detroit has legalized marijuana for personal use, though few people would consider it a vacation destination. Even here, if you tried to bring in a kilo of pot, smack or coke, you are going to jail, don't pass go and don't collect $200.

I can see where uninformed western tourists might at least consider taking a personal stash. This lady however appears to have thought to pay for her trip with the smuggling. The sentence is way too harsh, but that ought to have been part of the calculation when deciding to do the crime.

I recall a case when some duffus American youth tried to smuggle a personal stash into Turkey, and got something like 30 years in a hell hole of a prison. That doesn't make Turkey a bad destination, but does make obeying the law a primary concern.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:44
    the exact same tourists would expect and receive an indifference to drug use in spain - so i would never, not ever sell them a tricket to bali.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/11/08/terrifying-trade-child-prostitutes-bali.html
    "Why on earth are they coming down so hard on drugs when this is going on fmf? "

Misplaced priorities. From the article it appears that Bali due to its tourist status is a destination for the human traffic, that is common to many tourist destinations.

Drugs are the low hanging fruit. The imported prostitutes don't cause violence, and aren't the children of the locals.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:06
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The sentence is way too harsh, but that ought to have been part of the calculation when deciding to do the crime..
    This has been my point, I think.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:07

What is your point? Because there is child prostitution in Bali, drug smugglers should walk free? Surely not. Why don't you explain?
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:142 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is your point? Because there is child prostitution in Bali, drug smugglers should walk free? Surely not. Why don't you explain?
    the article says it is a big problem there. Its atrocious you can have the death penalty for drug dealing but let that slip by.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    This has been my point, I think.
    Sure. And Indonesia can change its priorities to go after human traffickers, or to legalize drugs or both, but as long as the law is what it is, travel agents would be considerate to advise clients of the law.

About a decade ago, I was planning a trip to Texas. I had a permit to carry a concealed weapon at home, and Texas accepted my State's license. Problem was that I had to travel through several other States, depending on my route. Illinois and Iowa both had restrictive carry laws, so I chose a southern route, via Indiana, Kentucky, Arkansas, and still had to be aware that Arkansas allowed me to have a loaded long gun in my vehicle, but did not support my concealed pistol license.

You can't travel, even in your own country, without considering the laws of various localities. And generally ignorance of the law isn't an excuse.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:22
    the article says it is a big problem there. Its atrocious you can have the death penalty for drug dealing but let that slip by.
    They have the death penalty here for human trafficking too.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:25
    The incongruity of the laws in Bali, are for their citizens to consider, appeal to the legislators and to change politically.

Not usually a good idea for a foreign tourist to challenge laws, especially those that carry capital punishment.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:32
    Sure. And Indonesia can change its priorities to go after human traffickers, or to legalize drugs or both, but as long as the law is what it is, travel agents would be considerate to advise clients of the law.

About a decade ago, I was planning a trip to Texas. I had a permit to carry a concealed weapon at home, and Texas accepted my State's license. ...[text shortened]... sidering the laws of various localities. And generally ignorance of the law isn't an excuse.
    Thats an interesting story - i am sick of places lke bali picking up holiday $/£ when there are other places much more deserving and better.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:32
    The incongruity of the laws in Bali, are for their citizens to consider, appeal to the legislators and to change politically.

Not usually a good idea for a foreign tourist to challenge laws, especially those that carry capital punishment.
    Some of what I will call 'e4chris' "trendy" tourists, looking for a "trendy" holiday destination' come to Bali, not for cocaine, but to have sex with children. Perhaps he should try to prevent travel agents from letting any tourists - including those who don't want cocaine and don't want to have sex with children - from getting to Bali. That would presumably teach someone or other a lesson.
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:351 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Some of what I will call 'e4chris' "trendy" tourists, looking for a "trendy" holiday destination' come to Bali, not for cocaine, but to have sex with children. Perhaps he should try to prevent travel agents from letting any tourists - including those who don't want cocaine and don't want to have sex with children - from getting to Bali. That would presumably teach someone or other a lesson.
    the article says that has happened 70,000 times on record alone since 2003 so yes bali does seem to sell itself for that - but are shooting a granny for smuggling coke .

i don't see how it gets into any brochures at all quite frankly.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:35
    Thats an interesting story - i am sick of places lke bali picking up holiday $/£ when there are other places much more deserving and better.
    Many of the tourist dollars in Bali go to little privately owned business, cafes, shops, salons, hotels, art and craft producers, and to wage earners like drivers, hotel staff, artists, dancers, etc. What makes them "undeserving" in your mind?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:372 edits
    the article says that has happened 70,000 times on record alone since 2003 so yes bali does seem to sell itself for that - but are shooting a granny for smuggling coke .

i don'y see how it gets into any brochures at all quite frankly.
    How does Bali "sell itself" as a child sex destination?

Do you think they should execute BOTH the drug smugglers AND the human traffickers, or do you think they should execute neither?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree