1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 00:421 edit
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305654/Lindsay-Sandiford-WILL-executed-drug-smuggling-Bali-losing-death-sentence-appeal.html

What do you think about this case ??

It sickens me, Its granny killing!! why on earth does bali market itself as a trendy get away when they plan to execute tourists in such a manner? It should be immediately removed from all travel agents as far as I'm concerned! Goa? Prague (no food poisoning and you can smoke weed) bali?? like hell!

Anyway what do you make of it?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 01:001 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    It sickens me, Its granny killing!! why on earth does bali market itself as a trendy get away when they plan to execute tourists in such a manner?
    They are not executing her because she is a tourist. They are executing her because she smuggled cocaine worth £1.6million into Indonesia from Thailand.

I hope the death sentence is commuted.

[Bali] should be immediately removed from all travel agents as far as I'm concerned!

If there were no travel agents offering holidays there, it would be considerably more difficult for tourists who want to go there to do so.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 01:04
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305654/Lindsay-Sandiford-WILL-executed-drug-smuggling-Bali-losing-death-sentence-appeal.html

It sickens me, Its granny killing!! why on earth does bali market itself as a trendy get away when they plan to execute tourists in such a manner? It should be immediately removed fro ...[text shortened]... (no food poisoning and you can smoke weed) bali?? like hell!

Why should a granny get a less severe sentence than a twenty year old male? Do the crime, do the time.
  4. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:21
    she is in deep , but there is a gross hypocrisy in selling itself as a trendy beach resort and executing those who bring the drugs . its no good, would you want to go there? would you want your friends who use drugs too?

if they execute her i hope 7000 tons of sewage or worse ends up on there beaches, they are not fit for most UK tourists thats for sure.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:301 edit
    she is in deep , but there is a gross hypocrisy in selling itself as a trendy beach resort and executing those who bring the drugs . its no good, would you want to go there? would you want your friends who use drugs too?
    Bali is both traditional and trendy, depending on where you go. And it's relatively cheap. And beautiful. I've been there several times. I don't have any friends who smuggle millions of dollars worth of cocaine but, if I did, I would caution them strongly not to do so in places like Indonesia.

If you want to boycott Bali, that's fine. But I don't understand why you would want to prevent or obstruct other people from going there by "immediately remov[ing] Bali from all travel agents".

Does your definition of "trendy" really extend to turning a blind eye to drug smuggling? Which countries in the world are "trendy" according to you in this regard?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:35
    if they execute her i hope 7000 tons of sewage or worse ends up on there beaches, they are not fit for most UK tourists thats for sure.
    Wouldn't that just harm the local tourist trade and the many thousands of UK tourists that visit Bali every year and relax on those beaches?
  7. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:481 edit
    we should not be handing over our money to countries that treat people like that - i think the same of thailand - if you want a 'cool' holiday (that may involve drugs) we should only spend our money where the guy you get it from won't be hung or tortured ...
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 02:59
    we should not be handing over our money to countries that treat people like that - i think the same of thailand - if you want a 'cool' holiday (that may involve drugs) we should only spend our money where the guy you get it from won't be hung or tortured ...
    I suggest you don't go to Bali if you want to smuggle or deal in drugs. If you oppose the death penalty, then I agree with you. I hope her sentence is commuted.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 15:21

It sickens me, Its granny killing!! why on earth does bali market itself as a trendy get away when they plan to execute tourists in such a manner? It should be immediately removed fro ...[text shortened]... (no food poisoning and you can smoke weed) bali?? like hell!

It sickens me too; but so does the 10 years she might have gotten in the US for doing the same thing.

I think it's time we start re-examining whether the war on drugs is really worth it.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 23:51
    Originally posted by sh76
    It sickens me too; but so does the 10 years she might have gotten in the US for doing the same thing.

I think it's time we start re-examining whether the war on drugs is really worth it.
    I don't like the war on drugs, and certainly not capital punishment for drug mules. On the other hand, as long as those laws exist, it is extremely foolish to be a drug mule.

We know damned well it isn't worth it, but look at how many people have jobs in the industry it creates, on both the legal and illegal side.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '13 23:523 edits
    Originally posted by sh76

The war on drugs is becoming are war off attrition - even in the UK its causing a lot of suicides in jail, and in bali, thailand its in-human - disgusting.

I don't like the hypocrisy, you have judges, there associates snorting coke at christmas parties then locking up the suppliers for a long time - its wrong.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 Apr '13 07:28
    You could always go to Margate.🙂

It smacks of tourist based colonialism to tell a sovereign state what laws and punishments they can enforce just because we want to go there and do drugs. Tourism is a massive conduit for moving money from relatively wealthy people to relatively poor people, so using embargo's in order to manipulate other people into doing what we want should only be considered in severe cases.

I could be wrong but do these non indigenous mules not nearly always get their sentences commuted at the last gasp. What effect do you think it might have on the indigenous population if the streets of Bali were awash with cheap, readily available Cocaine and other rec drugs?
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 22:592 edits
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    You could always go to Margate.🙂

It smacks of tourist based colonialism to tell a sovereign state what laws and punishments they can enforce just because we want to go there and do drugs. Tourism is a massive conduit for moving money from relatively wealthy people to relatively poor people, so using embargo's in order to manipulate other people into doi ...[text shortened]... on if the streets of Bali were awash with cheap, readily available Cocaine and other rec drugs?
    The treatment of Lindsay Stafford is not human and thailand is worse - people have to eat cockroaches there for nutritional value, and that is no myth.

I agree a bit that countries should not have to accomodate bad tourists (bali seem all to keen, but punish those using drugs) I would not expect bahrain to change its laws to accomodate stag doos for example - but marketing yourself as such a destination and doing this is a disgrace, and yes i would strip them out the catalogue.

If they want to run mosque tours fine, but there are better places to see one!
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:08
    but marketing yourself as such a destination and doing this is a disgrace, and yes i would strip them out the catalogue.
    Have you seen Bali marketing itself as a place where people smuggling cocaine should feel safe going? Rather than "strip them out the catalogue", why don't you urge travel agents to market Bali as 'a great holiday destination - but not if you want to smuggle drugs'?
  15. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 00:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    Have you seen Bali marketing itself as a place where people smuggling cocaine should feel safe going? Rather than "strip them out the catalogue", why don't you urge travel agents to market Bali as 'a great holiday destination - but not if you want to smuggle drugs'?
    replace smuggle with take - and yes that is a fair description and one which would put of at least half there punters...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree