1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Apr '13 01:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Some of what I will call 'e4chris' "trendy" tourists, looking for a "trendy" holiday destination' come to Bali, not for cocaine, but to have sex with children. Perhaps he should try to prevent travel agents from letting any tourists - including those who don't want cocaine and don't want to have sex with children - from getting to Bali. That would presumably teach someone or other a lesson.
    The only thing that boycotting Bali as a tourist destination would be to take away one of the ways that people there have of participating in a global economy, and improving themselves financially.

Self righteous indignation isn't terribly attractive, considering that there is child prostitution, and drug trade in almost every major western city, such as London or New York.

Making those laws, and the conditions more palatable are for the people and politicians in the localities not of self righteous foreigners.

I would suggest that e4chris if he so desires to go to the Mediterranean on holiday. It is a lot closer to the UK than Bali, but I also suggest that drugs and child prostitution are illegal in most of those places, yet the trade goes on.
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:32
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The only thing that boycotting Bali as a tourist destination would be to take away one of the ways that people there have of participating in a global economy, and improving themselves financially.

Self righteous indignation isn't terribly attractive, considering that there is child prostitution, and drug trade in almost every major western city, such ...[text shortened]... t that drugs and child prostitution are illegal in most of those places, yet the trade goes on.
    It strikes me there is a big prostitution and drugs trade in bali - those figures are not good and that would not be normal at all in london or ny - definately not. I think they should be more leniant with drugs mules - surely 10 years in one of there attrocious prisons would be enough. its like shooting sitting ducks otherwise, immoral. With illegal prosrtitution - 70,000 cases per year - clearly they must do more to stamp that out. I've got nothing against indonesia in particular - other then there laws, but bali sounds terrible.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:44
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I've got nothing against indonesia in particular - other then there laws, but bali sounds terrible.
    It's a very popular tourist destination. If you were a travel agent, and I wanted to go on holiday to a country where cocaine smuggling was legal and there was no prostitution, where would you recommend?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:49
    I think they should be more leniant with drugs mules - surely 10 years in one of there attrocious prisons would be enough.
    Well the sentence is harsh and I oppose the death penalty. What prison sentence would you think was appropriate for [1] dealing cocaine, and [2] possessing cocaine?
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's a very popular tourist destination. If you were a travel agent, and I wanted to go on holiday to a country where cocaine smuggling was legal and there was no prostitution, where would you recommend?
    Spain 🙂
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well the sentence is harsh and I oppose the death penalty. What prison sentence would you think was appropriate for [1] dealing cocaine, and [2] possessing cocaine?
    I think that is a question for you and the other residents to wrestle with. I haven't a problem with capital punishment, but not for non violent crime.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:58
    With illegal prosrtitution - 70,000 cases per year - clearly they must do more to stamp that out.
    I find it odd that you can post a link to information about such an utterly grotesque situation, and a day later you don't even remember what that information was. It's not 70,000 cases of prostitution per year, it's 70,000 children being sexually exploited. How can a fact like that elude you a day after you posted a link to it?

What punishment would you recommend/endorse for [1] men from places like Germany, U.K., Japan and elsewhere [including Indonesian men] who travel there to have sex with children, [2] the people who engage in the human trafficking that makes this sex trade possible?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 01:59
    Spain 🙂
    You seriously reckon there is no prostitution in Spain and that dealing cocaine is legal?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 02:02
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I think that is a question for you and the other residents to wrestle with. I haven't a problem with capital punishment, but not for non violent crime.
    Sure. But this is a discussion forum where all manner of people wrestle with all manner of things. e4chris has talked about leniency and harshness in punishment. I am curious as to what he advocates. No harm will be done to me or anyone else here if he shares his thoughts. 😀
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 02:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sure. But this is a discussion forum where all manner of people wrestle with all manner of things. e4chris has talked about leniency and harshness in punishment. I am curious as to what he advocates. No harm will be done to me or anyone else here if he shares his thoughts. 😀
    Sure, but you as a resident of the area, and a voter, are more intimately acquainted with why local laws are what they are.

My personal opinion is that both drugs and prostitution are victimless crimes, so long as it is consenting adults involved.
  11. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 02:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think child prostitution is much more serious then cocaine. I wouldn't want the job of judge but I'm sure in the UK you get locked up for longer for offences like that.

I do remember what the article was on - i think you were confused . when i said 70,000 cases i was guessing they come from a much bigger trade in illegal prostitution in bali.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Apr '13 03:08
    I do remember what the article was on - i think you were confused . when i said 70,000 cases i was guessing they come from a much bigger trade in illegal prostitution in bali.
    You said "With illegal prosrtitution - 70,000 cases per year - clearly they must do more to stamp that out."

All prostitution is illegal here. Obviously there are far, far more than 70,000 cases of "illegal prostitution" per year in this country! What are you thinking?

The "70,000 cases per year" was children being forced into the sex trade. How this could become muddled in your mind in only 24 hours is anyone's guess. This, combined with you thinking cocaine smuggling is legal in Spain and that there is no prostitution there, I don't think you're qualified to tell travel agents what to do. 🙂
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    01 May '13 23:151 edit
    I think its a terrible place to send party go-ers too, not saying its terrible over all (though it sounds that way) countries with laws like that should never be advertised as 'fun' destinations. The same is true of thailand - if it does not want to change its laws for tourists don't have them.

The article describes a serious problem too. I think they should send Lindsay-Sandiford back to the UK to serve her sentence and deal with that instead. it looks very wrong to me doing otherwise.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree