1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 May '10 16:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    There's absolutely more to being a teacher than in the classroom and teaching is (or should be) a full time job... during the school year.

But I don't see what teachers have to do in July and August. Any teacher that tells you that s/he's working July and August to prep for the school year is preparing more than s/he has to. I taught for almost 10 years and ...[text shortened]... t my understanding is that this is apart from and paid over and above the teacher's salary.
    There's absolutely more to being a teacher than in the classroom and teaching is (or should be) a full time job... during the school year.

I'm willing to bet it's more than a full time job during the school year. You think teachers ONLY work 9-5? I'm sure they mark all their papers only in the time between their classes.

But I don't see what teachers have to do in July and August. Any teacher that tells you that s/he's working July and August to prep for the school year is preparing more than s/he has to.

Well, that's your opinion.

I'm assuming that this $87k/year is also not the entry level salary for a teacher. Around here I think it's in the range of $30K. When you do things like get masters degrees and PHD degrees your salary goes up, as it should. That's one thing many teachers do in their summers - of course some would argue that that's not their job. Well, it is investing to improve their job performance and hence increasing their value to the community and the school system so that does justify an increase in their pay.

You can argue that this person is being overpaid or that teachers are being overpaid if you want, I don't think this person is necessarily typical and you certainly haven't presented any evidence that she is or isn't.

The point I definitely agree with is that teachers shouldn't be unique in sacrificing due to economics. I also think you could argue well that $100K + for a police officer is overpaid.

I think a single well educated teacher working 9 months of the year is worth more to society and the taxpayer than a cop.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 May '10 16:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well in my local city the Mayor was selling a tax hike that the voters had to approve. Of course, he was a Democrat so he threatened that jobs would be lossed on the police force if the tax hike was not approved. I'm sure that if it were a Republican perhaps the salaries of the teachers would have been a target. So what is more important? I suppose the vo ...[text shortened]... ing in, adjusted for inflation, of course, and learn to do their best with the funds available.
    Of course, he was a Democrat so he threatened that jobs would be lossed on the police force if the tax hike was not approved

So he actually told people of the consequences of not having enough money to pay for the police force? Sounds like a what a fiscal conservative should be to me.

Of course, I'm sure it would have been better to just cut police jobs or just fire teachers instead.

In this particular case the voters voted for the tax increase and gave in to his threats.

Or maybe they recognized the necessity of having police and teachers having jobs.

Of course, this doesn't have anything to do with my real response. You suggested that teachers "had it coming" for voting against Christie. Do you think teachers somehow deserve to be fired based on who they vote for?

Government needs to learn to balance their books with a set amount of taxation flowing in, adjusted for inflation, of course, and learn to do their best with the funds available

I partially agree. I think government does need to balance their books, however sometimes it is necessary to raise taxes. Sometimes it's good and necessary to lower them too - but simply having a set budget isn't the right idea.

Of course, would you be ok with a 3% tax hike every year to adjust for inflation?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '10 16:481 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn

I'm willing to bet it's more than a full time job during the school year. You think teachers ONLY work 9-5? I'm sure they mark all their papers only in the time between their classes.

But I don't see w orking 9 months of the year is worth more to society and the taxpayer than a cop.
    I'm not debating whether this teacher is overpaid. She's getting what she can get on the open market (even though it's not truly open; but that's another matter). Fine. More power to her.

But for her to get all sanctimonious and complain that a temporary pay freeze is such an injustice for her is absurd.
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 16:561 edit
    😲

http://rokdrop.com/2010/05/27/lee-administration-fires-134-leftist-teachers/

By GI Korea on May 27th, 2010 at 8:30 am
    Lee Administration Fires 134 Leftist Teachers
    » by GI Korea in: Korea-General Topics

The Lee Myung-bak administration fresh off of arresting 273 members of the KTEWU for their political activities last month, are now moving forward with firing 134 more teachers:

About 130 unionized public school teachers accused of having illegally maintained membership in an opposition political party will face a mass dismissal early next month, officials at the education ministry said yesterday.

The ministry has decided that as of June 1, it will dismiss a total of 134 public school teachers affiliated with a liberal teachers union for having regularly paid membership fees to the progressive minor opposition Democratic Labor Party, said the officials.

The 134 teachers, all affiliated with the Korean Teachers and Education Workers’ Union, were indicted for illegally belonging to the political party. South Korean law bars public workers, including teachers, from taking part in collective political activity.

The government Sunday announced a decision to take strong disciplinary measures against all of the 134 public school teachers, as well as against 83 lower-ranking civil servants and 35 private school teachers, who were also indicted for membership in the Democratic Labor Party.

The teachers and the civil servants were accused of having been Democratic Labor members or supporters since 2005.

It is the first time since the teachers’ union was founded in 1989 that more than 100 public school teachers face dismissals for political activities. [Joong Ang Ilbo]

At first glance you would think that it is a bit extreme to tell a teacher they cannot participate in political activities. However, the KTEWU is not any normal union. This group routinely indoctrinates students with pro-communist propaganda, spreads anti-government lies, and anti-Americanism in the classrooms of Korean schools. To further emphasize where the true loyalties of this organization lies, the political party they were caught giving money to, the DLP was linked to a North Korean spy scandal.

So considering the past activities of this teachers’ union, it is easy to understand why the Lee government is taking the measures they are.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:09
    more of the exchange:

YouTube

Does anyone want to argue that Christie is wrong?

Not rude. Wrong.

Anyone?
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:11
    More Christie, on his tone:

YouTube&NR=1
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:30
    he's wrong if he thinks it won't stir up the teachers.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:48
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    and the teachers are wrong if they think he cares if they get stirred up
  9. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:52
    they're better organized than your average random voter.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    28 May '10 17:53
    and the teachers are wrong if they think he cares if they get stirred up
    Christie might care if the teachers are able to stir up enough opposition to defeat his budget plan.

Although so far, the teachers could use a much better strategy. I think they've become too used to governors immediately giving them everything they ask for and they have no clue about how to react to someone who tells them no.
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 May '10 18:59
    I'm not debating whether this teacher is overpaid. She's getting what she can get on the open market (even though it's not truly open; but that's another matter). Fine. More power to her.

But for her to get all sanctimonious and complain that a temporary pay freeze is such an injustice for her is absurd.
    I think she could definitely have asked why other groups didn't have to suffer the same kind of pay freeze - which I think is likely where the real injustice is.

Point out how overpaid their police are - but it's quite the other political hand grenade to cut the police budget or freeze their salaries.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    28 May '10 18:59
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    .. and the teachers are somewhat right to get a bit stirred up.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '10 21:07
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I think she could definitely have asked why other groups didn't have to suffer the same kind of pay freeze - which I think is likely where the real injustice is.

Point out how overpaid their police are - but it's quite the other political hand grenade to cut the police budget or freeze their salaries.
    Yes, she could have done that.

Unfortunately for her, though, she didn't have the presence of mind to do so... or to say anything else that sounded intelligent.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 21:54
    Yes, she could have done that.

Unfortunately for her, though, she didn't have the presence of mind to do so... or to say anything else that sounded intelligent.
    cut her some slack!

she deals with pre-college kids all day!

bound to influence you somewhat.
  15. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    29 May '10 02:02
    If he hasn't, he should. All public employees should get pay freezes until the budget is at least under control.
    I agree with you 100 % at least they are working. That's more than about 10% of the rest of the state can say.
    If I were to poll the 1400 people laid off because of the Hynix plant closing here, how many do you think would have chosen to have their pay frozen, rather than be shown the door? I saw figure where they claim for every job lost there, it cost 5 more in the economy down town,, so do the math.... 7000 more.
    I wish the Federal government would freeze something too..... not my S.S. though... :-) Hey wait, they did that...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree