1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 19:34
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Japanese too.
    I dont think the Japanese are in the same category as Hitler,Pol Pot, and Stalin as I do not think that there was any ideology behind their expansion into china and other territories in 1930s and 40s. However there was definitely a hint of the master race delusion in their dealings with, and attitudes toward the Chinese and Koreans in particular.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 19:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    What exactly is the criterea for being compared to a nazi? Is it even possible to be compared to a nazi? If so, then who is on your list?
    "The Nazis supposedly made attempts to include the N-word in their own vocabulary in order to make it less derogatory, but unsuccessfully; since such a maneuver requires a sense of humor as well as irony, it was probably doomed to fail."

http://blog.erlingwold.com/2010/08/etymology-of-nazi.html
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 19:481 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I dont think the Japanese are in the same category as Hitler,Pol Pot, and Stalin as I do not think that there was any ideology behind their expansion into china and other territories in 1930s and 40s. However there was definitely a hint of the master race delusion in their dealings with, and attitudes toward the Chinese and Koreans in particular.
    "Japan’s Holy War reveals how a radical religious ideology drove the Japanese to imperial expansion and global war. Bringing to light a wealth of new information, Walter A. Skya demonstrates that whatever other motives the Japanese had for waging war in Asia and the Pacific, for many the war was the fulfillment of a religious mandate. In the early twentieth century, a fervent nationalism developed within State Shintō. This ultranationalism gained widespread military and public support and led to rampant terrorism; between 1921 and 1936 three serving and two former prime ministers were assassinated. Shintō ultranationalist societies fomented a discourse calling for the abolition of parliamentary government and unlimited Japanese expansion." [it goes on]

http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Holy-War-Ultranationalism-Asia-Pacific/dp/0822344238
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 21:29
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Japan’s Holy War reveals how a radical religious ideology drove the Japanese to imperial expansion and global war. Bringing to light a wealth of new information, Walter A. Skya demonstrates that whatever other motives the Japanese had for waging war in Asia and the Pacific, for many the war was the fulfillment of a religious mandate. In the early twentieth ce ...[text shortened]... goes on]

http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Holy-War-Ultranationalism-Asia-Pacific/dp/0822344238
    Maybe we in the west did not equate ultra nationalist shintoism with Nazi ideology because of our own racist attitudes toward the east. Certainly the atrocities perpetrated by the Japanese in Manchuria headlined by the infamous 'rape of Nanking' was on par with those perpetrated by nazi germany in russia and eastern europe, they also carried out medical experiments on Chinese civilians as part of their biological and chemical warfare programmes.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 21:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    "The Nazis supposedly made attempts to include the N-word in their own vocabulary in order to make it less derogatory, but unsuccessfully; since such a maneuver requires a sense of humor as well as irony, it was probably doomed to fail."

http://blog.erlingwold.com/2010/08/etymology-of-nazi.html
    South Park - Funnybot - crude humor and language
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e02-funnybot
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 02:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does anything you say really matter? Is anything you say serious? Does it matter whether you know who the Nazis were and what they did? It seems not.
    :'(
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 02:062 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    But if I had to draw a short list of people and groups in the same ballpark, maybe I'd say

- Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge
    - The Ottomans who carried out the Armenian Genocide
    - Stalin and the henchmen who carried out his purges

.[/b]
    Now we are talking!!

As far as Stalin, he killed far more people than Hitler, however, there was not the racist twist. He then went on to torment an entire nation and world after the war.

So does the racist twist trump sheer numbers murdered?

I suppose the way they were murdered is also a factor. For example, are they killed off one at a time or are they rounded up and tortured and then killed in mass at one time?

And lastly, like it or not the USSR was part of the winning side. That has a tendency to bolster the overall image.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 10:32
    Are there any skinheads left?

I haven't seen any since...about the turn of the millenia I guess. They were a force to be reckoned with at street level back in the 80's and 90's.

Good riddance 😛
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 10:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    What exactly is the criterea for being compared to a nazi? Is it even possible to be compared to a nazi? If so, then who is on your list?
    Anyone and anything can be compared to a Nazi. The error is to think that if there is a similarity or a difference that projections can be made from there.
    For example, if as shavixmir says, someone has a preference for well ironed uniforms, it is a logical error to then conclude that they must also like swastikas.
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 15:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Anyone and anything can be compared to a Nazi. The error is to think that if there is a similarity or a difference that projections can be made from there.
    For example, if as shavixmir says, someone has a preference for well ironed uniforms, it is a logical error to then conclude that they must also like swastikas.
    Does a well-ironed sheet count?
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 15:37
    So, how many civilians do you have to kill to get into the same league as Hitler and Stalin?

And surely you don't have to kill more than one person to be a nazi, so long as the other criteria are met?
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 16:38
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    So, how many civilians do you have to kill to get into the same league as Hitler and Stalin?

And surely you don't have to kill more than one person to be a nazi, so long as the other criteria are met?
    These are Nazis - not McCain:

http://gawker.com/5589640/neo-nazi-leads-vigilante-arizona-border-patrol-well-kill-them
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 16:411 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Are there any skinheads left?

I haven't seen any since...about the turn of the millenia I guess. They were a force to be reckoned with at street level back in the 80's and 90's.

Good riddance 😛
    Yeah they're still around.

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/01/sbcrime.html
    http://8814.com/index.php/2012/01/20/alert-for-feb-27-white-supremacists-to-rally-for-south-africa-across-us/
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 18:28
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    These are Nazis - not McCain:

http://gawker.com/5589640/neo-nazi-leads-vigilante-arizona-border-patrol-well-kill-them
    That doesn't address my questions.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    17 Mar '12 18:583 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    That doesn't address my questions.
    Why use any cliche? It's an appeal to stupidity. Why not compare him to Mugabe?

Or Patton for that matter since the topic is overaggressive conquest?

Or maybe the Mongols or the Soviets.

Is that McCain? No.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree