1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 02:211 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You're off-topic, of course.

I hardly ever visit the Science Forum and was not aware there was a thread there.

Money spent on space exploration is sometimes controversial. A fair amount of the populace want such programs ended and the money spent on Earth. Surely you are aware of these facts. For example:

Despite these positive opinions of the space program, just a two-in-ten Americans in the 2012 GSS survey said that the U.S. spends too little on space exploration. Four-in-ten believed the current spending was adequate, while three-in-ten believed further cuts should be made to the program. Instead, Americans strongly preferred increased spending on programs closer to home, including education (76😵, public health (59😵, and developing alternative energy sources (59😵.

Currently, total funding for NASA accounts for 0.5% of the federal government’s budget. Of that funding, the space exploration program accounts for roughly 22% of NASA’s budget.

The disinclination to spend money on space exploration has already had an impact when it comes to ambitious projects like space colonization. In 2012, the NASA budget took a 20% hit to its planetary science programs, severely crippling NASA’s Mars exploration program.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/04/23/americans-keen-on-space-exploration-less-so-on-paying-for-it/

So stop hijacking the thread.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 02:301 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 02:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You're off-topic, of course.

I hardly ever visit the Science Forum and was not aware there was a thread there.

Money spent on space exploration is sometimes controversial. A fair amount of the populace want such programs ended and the money spent on Earth. Surely you are aware of these facts. For example:

Despite these positive opinions of the s ...[text shortened]... 3/americans-keen-on-space-exploration-less-so-on-paying-for-it/

So stop hijacking the thread.
    Yes indeed, I am one that always thought Kennedy wanting to spent all that money to go to the moon was BS. 😏

The Near Genius
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 12:312 edits
    Speaking of being dishonest: it was Finnegan on p. 3 of that thread who started discussing the US Founding Fathers and their philosophy claiming that it was "white supremacist". The relevance of that to the shooting seems fairly straightforward. The relevance of Locke's philosophy to there's seems also straightforward.

As the OP of this thread shows, I was not really interested in discussing the scientific details of the mission so there was no need for me to go meandering into a forum I don't think I've ever posted in. If people want to read the thread there and not here, they should. But you should not have the poor form to hijack this thread.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 13:04
    Speaking of being dishonest: it was Finnegan on p. 3 of that thread who started discussing the US Founding Fathers and their philosophy claiming that it was "white supremacist". The relevance of that to the shooting seems fairly straightforward. The relevance of Locke's philosophy to there's seems also straightforward.

As the OP of this thread shows, ...[text shortened]... ad there and not here, they should. But you should not have the poor form to hijack this thread.
    Yes I thought it was relevant at the time. A relevant link to the OP in this thread is to question why all those scientists in the video are so frenziedly waving their childish little USA flags. I wonder which political commissar distributed these for the occasion? This excessive and I think inappropriate demonstration of nationalist fervour is politically poisonous on many levels. It would be nice to think of the Pluto flypass as an achievement for humanity or for science, but as an achievement for American imperialism and never ending expansion it is more chilling and no longer an inclusive event - one in which we might all take pride and joy. Those of us who are not members of the American "commonwealth" are simply reminded of American power. Scientists ought to learn to stay away from political ideology and not be used for nationalist propaganda purposes.
  6. Garner, NC
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 13:54
    Oh, shut up. No Nazis using slave labor were involved in the New Horizons project as far as I'm aware.

Genghis Khan killed a lot of people; that's about as relevant to the OP as your post.
    Some people have a deep emotional need to find ways to bash the US as often as possible. Seem emotionally immature to me.
  7. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 14:32
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Those of us who are not members of the American "commonwealth" are simply reminded of American power.
    That is so very boring.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 18:29
    Yes I thought it was relevant at the time. A relevant link to the OP in this thread is to question why all those scientists in the video are so frenziedly waving their childish little USA flags. I wonder which political commissar distributed these for the occasion? This excessive and I think inappropriate demonstration of nationalist fervour is politically ...[text shortened]... learn to stay away from political ideology and not be used for nationalist propaganda purposes.
    Yes the imperialist Americans are going to seize Pluto and enslave its indigenous inhabitants.

In actuality it's a harmless little display that won't hurt the political winds when the funding request to continue the mission into the Kuiper Belt comes up.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 18:421 edit
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi-go

Also

https://lovecraftianscience.wordpress.com/tag/mi-go/
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 18:461 edit
    Yes the imperialist Americans are going to seize Pluto and enslave its indigenous inhabitants.

In actuality it's a harmless little display that won't hurt the political winds when the funding request to continue the mission into the Kuiper Belt comes up.
    The harmless display of the national flag will, as you say, have political resonance. One example will be when the next funding request arises. Another will be in the way people from other countries and cultures perceive the nationalist message. This is a display of American technological mastery and power. The notion of expanding the US to incorporate Pluto is obviously symbolic and without practical implications in our lifetimes. However, politics is all about symbols.

When you object to me commenting on this political display, then bear in mind that you have confirmed it is a political display. Does that matter? It matters if you learn to realize that the way outsiders see American nationalist displays is quite unlike the way Americans perceive them and that is one of the benefits of a multi national forum. You get to hear from people who are not so soaked in your ideology that, like you, they cannot even see it.

A good rule of thumb is this - never trust people who wave flags in the wrong context. That is the path to fascism.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 18:51
    The harmless display of the national flag will, as you say, have political resonance. One example will be when the next funding request arises. Another will be in the way people from other countries and cultures perceive the nationalist message. This is a display of American technological mastery and power. The notion of expanding the US to incorporate Pl ...[text shortened]... is this - never trust people who wave flags in the wrong context. That is the path to fascism.
    It's funny that I don't have this huge problem with flag waving when the Euros or other nations do it after they score a goal (which admittedly happens rarely) in the silly sport called soccer.

Your childish distaste for Americans leads you to ridiculous extremes.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 18:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 19:02
    Finnegan seemed to think it was; why don't you bitch at him?
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 19:082 edits
    It's funny that I don't have this huge problem with flag waving when the Euros or other nations do it after they score a goal (which admittedly happens rarely) in the silly sport called soccer.

Your childish distaste for Americans leads you to ridiculous extremes.
    As I said, the question is always about the context in which national flags are waved. I do not question there is a place for them and games played by national teams are typically regarded as a good natured context where flags play their part.

I also did not say I hugely objected to the pride Americans take in their technological achievements. What I did say was that it would be a good thing for Americans to be alert to the political nature of flag waving. In this context, there is no doubt that the pictures would be seen around the world and as such, the scientists might, in an ideal world, have questioned if the national flag was the right accompaniment to a celebration that would ideally be shared by all.

Even then, the only real problem I have is that you can't see the point.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 19:10
    Finnegan seemed to think it was; why don't you bitch at him?
    other writers ignored me and kept arguing about John Locke.

Is that only about you?

No. It is not only about you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree