This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    15 Jul '15 20:20
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    That is so very boring.
    They did not call you "Sleepyguy" for nothing then.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jul '15 07:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Thanks a lot, dimwit.
    Sorry I asked now. 😳
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 02:09

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 08:03
    Originally posted by vivify
    That's amazing.

How was this photo taken? Isn't it too dark where Pluto is in order to get a good shot?
    You dumb ass ... ever hear of Flash Photography?? 🙄
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 08:05
    It is sometimes easy to get depressed about our species; looking around on this mud ball there is plenty of killing, oppression and other ills.

NASA for all its faults is something that the US can be justifiably proud of.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 14:10
    It is sometimes easy to get depressed about our species; looking around on this mud ball there is plenty of killing, oppression and other ills.

But then there is something like this: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/us/nasa-new-horizons-pluto-flyby/index.html

It is astonishing to consider that a man made device is flying to the further reaches of the ...[text shortened]... Street so they could turn the power on in my new house .........................................
    Congrats on the move!

I'm still waiting for someone to land on Europa to see if there really are enormous bio-luminescent octopi under the ice.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 14:15
    Originally posted by finnegan
    As I said, the question is always about the context in which national flags are waved. I do not question there is a place for them and games played by national teams are typically regarded as a good natured context where flags play their part.

I also did not say I hugely objected to the pride Americans take in their technological achievements. What I ...[text shortened]... ly be shared by all.

Even then, the only real problem I have is that you can't see the point.
    Since you generally claim to have little but contempt for the United States and the American political system, what's with the inferiority complex? Since we have to live under the oppressive corrupt totalitarian Amerikan regime, why begrudge us a little flag waiving fun?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 14:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    Since you generally claim to have little but contempt for the United States and the American political system, what's with the inferiority complex? Since we have to live under the oppressive corrupt totalitarian Amerikan regime, why begrudge us a little flag waiving fun?
    The same mentality that allows people to wave flags with patriotic fervour has led billions of people to their deaths.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 15:131 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The same mentality that allows people to wave flags with patriotic fervour has led billions of people to their deaths.
    That's like saying the same mentality that allows businesses to hike up their prices by an extra quarter to increase profits led to the Wall Street meltdown.

Most adults are perfectly capable of understanding the distinction between waiving a flag and waging a world war. Slipper slope arguments that are so extremely attenuated are meaningless.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 16:581 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Killjoy! 😠

Ignore the pain and death. All that matters is technological achievments.

See, we are progressing. We can see Pluto's heart from over a million miles away!......or is Pluto mooning us? 😛

If I were Pluto, I would moon them.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 17:07
    That's like saying the same mentality that allows businesses to hike up their prices by an extra quarter to increase profits led to the Wall Street meltdown.

Most adults are perfectly capable of understanding the distinction between waiving a flag and waging a world war. Slipper slope arguments that are so extremely attenuated are meaningless.

How's that?

Most adults are perfectly capable of understanding the distinction between waiving a flag and waging a world war.

The occurrence of world wars suggests that they do not.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 17:21
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]That's like saying the same mentality that allows businesses to hike up their prices by an extra quarter to increase profits led to the Wall Street meltdown.

How's that?

Most adults are perfectly capable of understanding the distinction between waiving a flag and waging a world war.

The occurrence of world wars suggests that they do not.[/b]
    - Both are based on desire for excess profits

- That people do bad things does not suggest that people are incapable of knowing that they're bad.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    14 Aug '15 17:25

- That people do bad things does not suggest that people are incapable of knowing that they're bad.

Not necessarily.

They are capable, they are just not very good at it when their judgement is clouded by tribal sentiments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree