Obama sends nuclear physicists to Gulf spill

Obama sends nuclear physicists to Gulf spill

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HG

Moves
18 May 10

Originally posted by smw6869
How big is this broken pipe ? I don't think it should take more than 1 physicist to plug it.

GRANNY.
20" I think.
If they have been able to get another line into the opening to start siphoning some of the oil, why can't they get a larger tube down, and insert a plug?
Get the second line far enough down in the pipe, then blow up a big rubber stopper.
We used them in smaller lines at work. Of course the depth plays a huge part, as well as the pressure coming out of that line.. I wonder what it is?
We used one on a 12" line when a valve failed.

F

Moves
18 May 10

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
If they have been able to get another line into the opening to start siphoning some of the oil, why can't they get a larger tube down, and insert a plug?
It seems that zeeblebot wants us to address this question to President Obama.

HG

Moves
18 May 10

I'm interested in this one, because of a friend who nearly ended up on that rig..
Have you ever read anything about the Glomar Explorer?

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
18 May 10

20" I think.
Get the second line far enough down in the pipe, then blow up a big rubber stopper.
We used them in smaller lines at work. Of course the depth plays a huge part, as well as the pressure coming out of that line.. I wonder what it is?
I would think that one very thin physicist should be able to plug the hole. You may need to coat him with olive oil first.

GRANNY.

HG

Moves
18 May 10

I would think that one very thin physicist should be able to plug the hole. You may need to coat him with olive oil first.

GRANNY.
the inside of that pipe is coated with crude oil, that may be a problem in getting an air stop to hold it, along with the amount of pressure.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
18 May 10

How big is this broken pipe ? I don't think it should take more than 1 physicist to plug it.

GRANNY.
Well I heard they tried using politicians first, but they were way too slippery and kept popping out.

😀 Sorry, the devil made me do that!

silicon valley

Moves
18 May 10

GRANNY.
he'd pop back out again!

if we braced him in the hole, then swelled him up with an air compressor, i think it would work.

any one of Pres. Obama's Nuclear Physicist BP Spill Response Team should be happy to take this on for the good of the country.

silicon valley

Moves
18 May 10

I'm interested in this one, because of a friend who nearly ended up on that rig..
Have you ever read anything about the Glomar Explorer?
you're dating yourself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_Explorer#Leasing

The GSF Explorer is currently on hire to a consortium led by Marathon Oil, to drill offshore Indonesia until March 2012.[10]

silicon valley

Moves
18 May 10

maybe FMF could arrange a tour.

silicon valley

Moves
18 May 10

20" I think.
that brings to mind another question.

the plugs didn't work.

NOW they're going to siphon the oil.

THREE WEEKS ON!

you'd think they would have concurrent efforts going on (and concurrent tiger teams in place!)

maybe banning BP from US waters would make the industry take the problem seriously.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 May 10

Maybe there's something to this offshore drilling environmental damage stuff.

HG

Moves
19 May 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
you're dating yourself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_Explorer#Leasing

The GSF Explorer is currently on hire to a consortium led by Marathon Oil, to drill offshore Indonesia until March 2012.[10]
well, my friend was a first mate on it while it was in the gulf. It was interesting to hear how it worked. During Huricane season, they pulled off the bottom, and rode it out.

HG

Moves
19 May 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Maybe there's something to this offshore drilling environmental damage stuff.
Ya, it's too deep to get a crew down to fix it.
But, why not slide tube down over the exisiting tube they claim is there, then gradully up size the tube, until they can insert a rubber stopper, they would force air in to?
5000 ft is quite a challenge, I'm sure they are looking at every angle.