1. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 23:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    So I suppose it is a concensus. No one thinks that the Amish should be treated any differently than anyone else. So does anyone propose reforming the bill or shall we let others opt out as well?
    Not quite a consensus whodey, you should be able to opt out for any damn reason you please, in fact why not put it to the true test, make it voluntary.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '10 23:35
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Not quite a consensus whodey, you should be able to opt out for any damn reason you please, in fact why not put it to the true test, make it voluntary.
    You mean like our Congressmen?
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 00:16
    http://politics4all.com/users/mikedavis/blog/5939-amish-families-exempt-from-insurance-mandate-in-obamacre

Federal health care reform will require most Northern New Yorkers -- but not all, it turns out -- to carry health insurance or risk a fine.

Hundreds of Amish families in the region are likely to be free from that requirement.

The Amish, as well ...[text shortened]... there are Christians that object to monies from the taxes collected going to abortions?
    are there any religious exemptions to paying all federal/state taxes?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 00:351 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    are there any religious exemptions to paying all federal/state taxes?
    Sure. For example, if you are a Washington insider in the cult knows as the "statists" you don't have to pay taxes....unless appointed by the President to a cabnet position. 😛
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 17:13
    Because they oppose it based upon religious grounds. Should people oppose legistlation that they feel violates their freedom of religion?
    Should religious people be above the law? I don't think so.

I'd understand if there was some serious reason to oppose this bill (your abortion example comes to mind), but there isn't.

Furthermore, shouldn't freedom of religion be within reason?
  6. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 17:16
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    you should be able to opt out for any damn reason you please

so you're seriously saying people shouldn't follow laws if they don't want to?

thats a retarded suggestion, even for your standards.
  7. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 18:47
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]you should be able to opt out for any damn reason you please

so you're seriously saying people shouldn't follow laws if they don't want to?

thats a retarded suggestion, even for your standards.[/b]
    He's suggesting that the state has no right to force citizens into these programs that are extraneous to the intended function of government. It's a violation of our liberty and our property, a perversion of law istelf. If you believe this is ok for the "common good", then what's to stop the Congress from legislating the next great program, taking more of your money and liberty, for the common good? A government not chained to the consitution is nothing more than your next-door neighbor legislating his will over yours, and quite inept too considering the current 10 trillion dollar debt we're in. No thanks, I'll take care of myself.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 18:521 edit
    Originally posted by Beyer
    He's suggesting that the state has no right to force citizens into these programs that are extraneous to the intended function of government. It's a violation of our liberty and our property, a perversion of law istelf. If you believe this is ok for the "common good", then what's to stop the Congress from legislating the next great program, taking more of your ...[text shortened]... dering the current 10 trillion dollar debt we're in. No thanks, I'll take care of myself.
    You're not forced into it. You can simply pay the tax.

You're still free to disagree with the Republicans' idea to have an individual mandate. But mere disagreement doesn't mean you should be exempt from the law.
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:00
    He's suggesting that the state has no right to force citizens into these programs that are extraneous to the intended function of government. It's a violation of our liberty and our property, a perversion of law istelf. If you believe this is ok for the "common good", then what's to stop the Congress from legislating the next great program, taking more of your ...[text shortened]... dering the current 10 trillion dollar debt we're in. No thanks, I'll take care of myself.
    Well, considering the state was democratically elected by the people it represents, and is constitutionally empowered to enact laws, yes, they do have the right to that.

It's a violation of our liberty and our property, a perversion of law istelf

explain to me again how obamacare is a violation of these.

If you believe this is ok for the "common good", then what's to stop the Congress from legislating the next great program, taking more of your money and liberty, for the common good?

I don't know, perhaps the people who elected congress? or are you under the illusion the US is some sort of dictatorship where citizens have no power to determine what direction the country takes?

A government not chained to the consitution is nothing more than your next-door neighbor legislating his will over yours, and quite inept too considering the current 10 trillion dollar debt we're in. No thanks, I'll take care of myself.

I see, so you're saying the US govt is acting uncontitutionally, is there any evidence of this?
  10. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:06
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Well, considering the state was democratically elected by the people it represents, and is constitutionally empowered to enact laws, yes, they do have the right to that.

[b]It's a violation of our liberty and our property, a perversion of law istelf

explain to me again how obamacare is a violation of these.

If you believe this is ok for ...[text shortened]... so you're saying the US govt is acting uncontitutionally, is there any evidence of this?
    We're a republic, not a democracy. Meaning, rights of an individual can't be overrun by majority rule.

Point to me in the Constitution where Congress has this power?
  11. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:10
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    You're not forced into it. You can simply pay the tax.

You're still free to disagree with the Republicans' idea to have an individual mandate. But mere disagreement doesn't mean you should be exempt from the law.
    That's my point. I dunno about you, but I don't like my money being used by other's frivolous fancies.
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:28
    That's my point. I dunno about you, but I don't like my money being used by other's frivolous fancies.
    Beyer, you're not qualified to assess 'frivolous fancies', pooper sees himself as being more qualified than your good self to make those judgements.
  13. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:36
    Frivolous fancies like what?
  14. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:41
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Frivolous fancies like what?
    ...programs that are extraneous to the intended function of government.
  15. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 19:42
    ...programs that are extraneous to the intended function of government.
    Intended by whom, our founding fathers?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree