1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'm pointing out how Obama is creating classes within society. If you belong to a special class then you get special perks.
    That has been going on for some time Eladar.

That is how politics gets support. You throw money at the system for special perks in order to get a leg up on your fellow man. An example is gay marriage today. They want the special perks that only straight couples now get. Instead of insisting on equality for everyone, they simply insist on getting a leg up on singles and polygamists.

Just imagine a government where everyone was treated with equally. From where would they draw support? It's not like corporations will throw millions of dollars at them just to be treated like everyone else.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:421 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    They are a Christian company because they say they are a Christian company, you nincompoop. And they practice what they preach too. They close on Sunday while other arts and crafts stores do not. 🙄
    They now say they are a "Christian company" (again a misnomer) because they want to be exempt from a provision of the law.

Many, many retail establishments don't open on Sundays. From wiki:

Some stores, especially in suburban and rural areas, might remain closed on Sundays for any reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opening_hours#United_States

My favorite bar doesn't open on Sundays and not because its owners are devout Christians.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:49
    They are a Christian company because they say they are a Christian company, you nincompoop. And they practice what they preach too. They close on Sunday while other arts and crafts stores do not. 🙄
    Now, now, only "true" Christians can be labeled Christian.

Only the government can determine who is a "true" Christian. In fact, Obama recently announced that God has delegated judgment of our immortal souls to the Executive Department.
  4. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:50
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    My comment and your response was directed toward Hobby Lobby, not Mardel. Your statement was incorrect as regards the former company.
    Oh my god.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:51
    My favorite bar doesn't open on Sundays and not because its owners are devout Christians.[/b]
    But if it were not for religion your bar would be open on Sundays.

In fact, to fully eradicate religion from society we need to do away with weekends entirely. We need a return to slave labor working 24/7.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:52
    Oh my god.
    You seem to have an really high opinion of no1. 😛
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:53
    They now say they are a "Christian company" (again a misnomer) because they want to be exempt from a provision of the law.

Many, many retail establishments don't open on Sundays. From wiki:

Some stores, especially in suburban and rural areas, might remain closed on Sundays for [b]any
    reason

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opening_hou ...[text shortened]... My favorite bar doesn't open on Sundays and not because its owners are devout Christians.[/b]
    Based on my real world, practical experience, most retailers are open on Sundays. Only the Christian ones are closed on Sundays. 😵
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    You seem to have an really high opinion of no1. 😛
    lol
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Now, now, only "true" Christians can be labeled Christian.

Only the government can determine who is a "true" Christian. In fact, Obama recently announced that God has delegated judgment of our immortal souls to the Executive Department.
    Exactly.

If you aren't a true Christian, then you are not allowed to have religious convictions. I suppose you are allowed to have them, the government just doesn't have to worry about it.

You either support abortion with your money or you don't get health insurance.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 21:29
    Based on my real world, practical experience, most retailers are open on Sundays. Only the Christian ones are closed on Sundays. 😵
    So you're claiming that most retail establishments in the US are owned by non-Christians?

I'm rarely impressed by anecdotal claims.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 21:321 edit
    Oh my god.
    mmm: The religious beliefs of Hobby Lobby's shareholders, directors, and officers informs the company's business judgment. That is why they sell primarily christian merchandise and that is why they are closed on Sunday. Hobby Lobby can hardly be described as a "secular for profit corporation."

Glad to help.

Since the case relies on statutory interpretation one has to ask whether Congress in 1993 really intended that a corporation be exempt from general business regulations applicable to all other corporations merely because the primary stockholders were devout Christians. This seems most unlikely.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 21:34
    So you're claiming that most retail establishments in the US are owned by non-Christians?

I'm rarely impressed by anecdotal claims.
    I find it hard to believe that you don't get it.
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 21:482 edits
    Since the case relies on statutory interpretation one has to ask whether Congress in 1993 really intended that a corporation be exempt from general business regulations applicable to all other corporations merely because the primary stockholders were devout Christians. This seems most unlikely.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/1/1

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/chapter-21B
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 21:49
    I find it hard to believe that you don't get it.
    Your petty insults are childish. Try to stay on topic.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jan '14 22:00
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/1/1

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/chapter-21B
    I read the 10th Circuit decision which relied heavily on the "Dictionary Act". The issue remains whether "the context" of the statute " indicates otherwise". That will presumably be decided by the SCOTUS.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree