1. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 10:51
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Obama is tying the unemployment situation to the creation of ATMs. So his "point" is NOT correct. The unemployment rate has not been over 9% for this long because of ATM machines and airport ticket kisoks, regardless of what you're being fed by Chris Matthews.
    It is an example to illustrate a point.
  2. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 10:592 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It is an example to illustrate a point.
    Sorry, I just edited the post you quoted, so I'll repost the last part:

There are no technological breakthroughs during the past two and a half years that have caused unemployment to skyrocket.

Technology advancements are NOT the problem here.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 11:05
    Originally posted by TheBloop
    Sorry, I just edited the post you quoted, so I'll repost the last part:

There are no technological breakthroughs during the past two and a half years that have caused unemployment to skyrocket.

Technology advancements are NOT the problem here.
    I agree. The main problems are the severe undertaxation of the rich, a horribly inefficient health care system, lacking education funding and bloated military spending. That is why redundant manufacturing jobs have not been replaced with services jobs even though they could very easily have been.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:27
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's the trickle down model of economics but unfortunately the facts don't seem to support it.
    I never said trickle down always works. I even gave an example where it would not.

Did you forget to drink your coffee this morning?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:31
    I agree. The main problems are the severe undertaxation of the rich, a horribly inefficient health care system, lacking education funding and bloated military spending. That is why redundant manufacturing jobs have not been replaced with services jobs even though they could very easily have been.
    Those are certainly factors that contribute but you ignored the primary factor, trade with China (and others) without protectionist policies to keep jobs here.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:331 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Those are certainly factors that contribute but you ignored the primary factor, trade with China (and others) without protectionist policies to keep jobs here.
    Do you think US states ought to be able to put tariffs on imported goods from other US states? By the way, the US does implement protectionist policies against China, as does the EU.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:36
    Do you think US states ought to be able to put tariffs on imported goods from other US states? By the way, the US does implement protectionist policies against China, as does the EU.
    Why would we want to do that? You are not making any sense at all.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:46
    Why would we want to do that? You are not making any sense at all.
    Then why would you want to implement protectionist measures against China?
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:49
    Then why would you want to implement protectionist measures against China?
    To keep jobs here and not have them replaced by lower paying jobs. Reducing the overall income of Americans hurts the economy.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 12:581 edit
    To keep jobs here and not have them replaced by lower paying jobs. Reducing the overall income of Americans hurts the economy.
    So if Texas and New Mexico would implement protectionist measures against each other, both states would benefit?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 15:45
    So if Texas and New Mexico would implement protectionist measures against each other, both states would benefit?
    The states can compete with each other without protectionist measures. We can't compete with Chinese labor without protectionism except with certain products that don't amount to much.
    Can you compete with slave like wages?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 15:501 edit
    The states can compete with each other without protectionist measures. We can't compete with Chinese labor without protectionism except with certain products that don't amount to much.
    Can you compete with slave like wages?
    Economics is not about competing, it's about cooperating. The US can guarantee full employment with a few simple measures without having to depress consumer demand by increasing tariffs on Chinese goods.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 16:04
    Economics is not about competing, it's about cooperating. The US can guarantee full employment with a few simple measures without having to depress consumer demand by increasing tariffs on Chinese goods.
    I don't thing you understand what is happening here, but since you live in Europe it does not surprise me.

I'll ask what your simple solution is though.

How?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 17:08
    I don't thing you understand what is happening here, but since you live in Europe it does not surprise me.

I'll ask what your simple solution is though.

How?
    Look at my earlier posts in this thread.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jul '11 17:301 edit
    wow you got all the answers and know everything you should go into politics.

Have you ever been employed ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree