1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    17 Sep '11 08:28
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The Green party in the European parliament has a proposal (I'm not sure if it's actually been proposed yet) to join the complete energy system of Europe into one integral network.

Then using solar energy from Spain (and I believe Turkey), wind energy from Germany and the North sea, hydro-energy from various countries and tidal stream / tidal barrage ene ...[text shortened]... cient energy on a constant basis.

What do you all think?
    Is it possible?
    Is it realistic?
    Sounds like a great idea. 🙂
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    17 Sep '11 08:30
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Isn't it funny that if it doesn't concern the US or Israel, nobody seems interested in talking about it?

As far as I've been able to tell, if this plan goes ahead it will be the next step in energy evolution.

Not interesting?
    Look at this. A European whining about not being the center of attention. Go start a World War, you cheese eating European, you!
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    17 Sep '11 08:31
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    When I first read about this or a comparable scheme, the main resources were supposed to be geothermal energy from Iceland, wind and tidal energy from Northern Europe, and solar energy from Spain and the Sahara. I suppose the last component of the scheme may have to wait until we know what kind of regimes are going to emerge from the North African part of ...[text shortened]... s of the Nevada desert could, in theory, provide all of the energy needs of the United States.
    The Saharan solar energy should be used for Africa.
  4. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '11 21:461 edit
    I think solar and wind are perfect for home use, in fact that is my goal. However t will be very exensive to start..... I hope th tax incentives can hang around for a year longer.... And i will still need a dual fuel back up generator.
    Anyome spent a week in a snow cave?
  5. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '11 21:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Saharan solar energy should be used for Africa.
    Why ? I can understand a position that says that countries first need to look at their own energy needs, but why would you expand that to continents ? It's a bit arbitrary that countries have to prefer one partner over the other based on the continent they are on.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '11 22:10
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I think that's a bit exaggerated, but I've heard that solar panels on a certain percentage of homes would eliminate the need for oil imports. I realize that's not too helpful, but the percentage was considerably less than 50 percent.

I've always loved the irony in the alternative energy opposition. They fight any attempts to convert to solar tooth and na ...[text shortened]... entage low.... because the percentage is low.

Sometimes the lack of shame is profound.
    You might have misread that argument. I use a similar one often when unrealistically optimistic people come out and say how we could easily and quickly replace all nuclear/fossil fuel power plants with alternative energy sources. The argument then is that they should take a look at what has been achieved so far and how it seems unlikely that such a small part of total production can quickly explode to cover all our energy needs. The argument is not, "It's small so it should stay small", it is "It's small and you can't explain how it's going to expand as rapidly as you wish it's going to expand"

I've seen number on energy production in Belgium and the rate of growth in total capacity for alternative energy is phenomenal .... and even if it continues growing like that for the next couple of decades it's still not going to cover everything.
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 07:01
    Originally posted by Barts
    You might have misread that argument. I use a similar one often when unrealistically optimistic people come out and say how we could easily and quickly replace all nuclear/fossil fuel power plants with alternative energy sources. The argument then is that they should take a look at what has been achieved so far and how it seems unlikely that such a small part ...[text shortened]... ng like that for the next couple of decades it's still not going to cover everything.
    No, but in conjunction with other developments, we could be free from oil and/or nuclear eventually. It's worth the effort.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 07:08
    Originally posted by Barts
    Why ? I can understand a position that says that countries first need to look at their own energy needs, but why would you expand that to continents ? It's a bit arbitrary that countries have to prefer one partner over the other based on the continent they are on.
    And just as importantly, if a country wants to export it solar power, why shouldn't it? They export their oil. I don't see anyone saying "Africas oil should only be used in Africa".
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And just as importantly, if a country wants to export it solar power, why shouldn't it? They export their oil. I don't see anyone saying "Africas oil should only be used in Africa".
    Solar energy is difficult to transport and Africa needs developing.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Solar energy is difficult to transport and Africa needs developing.
    More difficult to transport to South Africa than to Spain.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:301 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    More difficult to transport to South Africa than to Spain.
    I was thinking north-central Africa - the jungles and desert.

Spain is pretty far south. Can't they do their own solar power?
  12. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:56
    Along with energy, it won't be that long before we have to deal with water supplies, no?
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 16:58
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Along with energy, it won't be that long before we have to deal with water supplies, no?
    Exactly. Use the solar to desalinate and transport water, for one thing.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:00
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Who are "we"?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Who are "we"?
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree