1. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 17:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Who are "we"?
    The royal we, as in everyone on the planet.
  2. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 22:37
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Exactly. Use the solar to desalinate and transport water, for one thing.
    yup, that is what I'm thinking, and why not get that started asap? why wait until we have to?
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '11 22:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Who are "we"?
    The entire world...... except maybe the pacific Northwest...
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 01:01
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    If things are good ideas, why is it ever necessay to apply government force to get them done?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 02:20
    yup, that is what I'm thinking, and why not get that started asap? why wait until we have to?
    Well, in California we are.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 06:201 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I can't figure out why they don't cover parking lots with solar panels. Covered parking and energy generation, it's a win-win. Also, solar panels in the desert sounds like a no brainer, surely someone's already thought of this, is the cost too prohibitive?
    Pumping millions of gallons of water over hundreds of miles in and out of the desert just to warm it up is the worst idea ever; and is certainly a "no brainer"; as would be trying to run electricity cables to collect the feeble amount of charge which would then have to be driven hundreds of miles into the grid.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 06:43
    Solar energy is difficult to transport and Africa needs developing.
    It can be developed with the money obtained by selling solar power.
    I don't think it is logical to suggest that power should not be exported in an attempt at development - unless there is massive corruption. But that applies much more to oil.

If anything, the export of power would help pay for construction of solar power plants thus making the possibility for cheaper local power.
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 13:33
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Isn't it funny that if it doesn't concern the US or Israel, nobody seems interested in talking about it?

As far as I've been able to tell, if this plan goes ahead it will be the next step in energy evolution.

Not interesting?
    In terms of realism, to what extent do vast amounts Russian Oil and natural gas make an integrated European green energy grid a non starter?
  9. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 17:45
    Well, in California we are.
    great I didn't know that where are the facilities located?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 17:51
    I don't see a water shortage happening in Holland any time soon.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 17:55
    great I didn't know that where are the facilities located?
    Wherever we want them. They're mobile.

http://www.water.ca.gov/desalination/pud_pdf/Mobile_Desalination.pdf
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 17:55
    Solar energy is difficult to transport and Africa needs developing.
    But once it's in place, there's no need to transport anything. The problem is that it's a one-sale deal and therefor not as profitable as other forms of energy. Helen Caldicot has argued that if the power companies could wrap a blanket around the stratosphere and sell holes, the technology would be decades ahead of where it is now.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 18:00
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    But once it's in place, there's no need to transport anything. The problem is that it's a one-sale deal and therefor not as profitable as other forms of energy. Helen Caldicot has argued that if the power companies could wrap a blanket around the stratosphere and sell holes, the technology would be decades ahead of where it is now.
    There's a loss of energy as it goes through the wires. A side effect of widespread solar panelling is that the land underneath will be shaded and enclosed, which means it could be possibly made into habitable land again over time - and the solar energy could do it.

If Africa sells this energy, they surrender some of their wealth to Europe and get paper in return. Right? What would they sell it for except money?

The net transfer of wealth will be out of Africa.
  14. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 18:01
    There's a loss of energy as it goes through the wires. A side effect of widespread solar panelling is that the land underneath will be shaded and enclosed, which means it could be possibly made into habitable land again over time - and the solar energy could do it.

If Africa sells this energy, they surrender some of their wealth to Europe and get ...[text shortened]... What would they sell it for except money?

The net transfer of wealth will be out of Africa.
    The point of solar is that it can be very decentralized. Each village can have its own sources. Potentially, each home.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Sep '11 18:02
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    The point of solar is that it can be very decentralized. Each village can have its own sources. Potentially, each home.
    That is not consistent with the plan of selling the energy to Europe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree