1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '21 01:41
    @metal-brain said
    Is there more poverty in china than Japan? Yes or no?
    I don't know. Do you? You wrote there's a well-established positive correlation between poverty and population and we still haven't seen it.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 11:47
    @wildgrass said
    I don't know. Do you? You wrote there's a well-established positive correlation between poverty and population and we still haven't seen it.
    Let's start with the USA. We have a relatively high standard of living and we have a relatively low birth rate. Mexico in contrast has a higher poverty rate and a higher birth rate on the other side of the border.
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 19:56
    @metal-brain said
    Let's start with the USA. We have a relatively high standard of living and we have a relatively low birth rate. Mexico in contrast has a higher poverty rate and a higher birth rate on the other side of the border.
    You could have just admitted on page 2 you were referring to birth rate and not population. We would have avoided a lot of typing. I asked the question and you never answered.

Now we can finally move forward. Yes, birth rate and poverty are correlated. But there's no correlation between poverty and population, given all the externalities. On what basis are you making the claim (asserted all the way back on page 2) in which reducing poverty would decrease the number of humans on the planet?
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 04:441 edit
    @wildgrass said
    You could have just admitted on page 2 you were referring to birth rate and not population. We would have avoided a lot of typing. I asked the question and you never answered.

Now we can finally move forward. Yes, birth rate and poverty are correlated. But there's no correlation between poverty and population, given all the externalities. On what basis are you making the ...[text shortened]... the way back on page 2) in which reducing poverty would decrease the number of humans on the planet?
    Sure, immigration is why our population is growing despite a low birth rate. I mentioned that earlier in this thread. Gates is talking about world population so immigration has no effect on that worldwide.

Gates is trying to lower the birth rate in Africa. He could do that by lifting them out of poverty, but perhaps it is cheaper to do it the other way around. In any case, he is not a real humanitarian. He is a eugenicist.

If you are trying to claim reducing poverty does not lower the birth rate why do 1st world countries have a lower birth rate than 3rd world countries? I don't think you can give a better explanation for the correlation than I did. You do admit there is a correlation, right?
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 15:33
    @metal-brain said
    Sure, immigration is why our population is growing despite a low birth rate. I mentioned that earlier in this thread. Gates is talking about world population so immigration has no effect on that worldwide.

Gates is trying to lower the birth rate in Africa. He could do that by lifting them out of poverty, but perhaps it is cheaper to do it the other way around. In any c ...[text shortened]... ive a better explanation for the correlation than I did. You do admit there is a correlation, right?
    Why are you asking a question I already answered? And what does any of this have to do with immigration?
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 15:421 edit
    @mghrn55 said
    If you want to have an intelligent conversation about where humanity is going this century, you might want to factor in our current climate crisis.
    At this point the crisis is being driven by 2 factors, imo...
    1 - our pursuit of economic prosperity, which is a good thing. But we have to manage that intelligently and responsibly. Our notion that our resources are infinite (r ...[text shortened]... open the link provided. Won't get involved in conspiracy fantasies. Or your Bill Gates fantasies.
    btw ....... I didn't bother to open the link provided. Won't get involved in conspiracy fantasies. Or your Bill Gates fantasies.

The fact that you didn't bother to open the link provided simply proves your willful ignorance of the facts. I would also point out that Mr. Gates' views are not driven by anything but hard data.

I'm sensing a little "green eyed monster" problem here. Would the fact that Bill Gates is a real billionaire, and could buy and sell a recently departed President out of his pocket change have anything to do with your views?? 😏
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 16:131 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    I see what is driving you. The loss of white power in a non-white majority.
    That is what your bottom line is, you could care less about actual people.
    You want to retain power when you are in the minority.
    This POV is what is driving the republican senate, they are morally bankrupt and didn't even WATCH the 13 minute video of the traitors attacking the capitol building January 6.

Their minds are made up already, just like yours.

So look at 9-11, a month later were we saying, lets move on?

But your buddy Marco Rubio and the rest of the morally bankrupt crowd wants us to do, boys will be boys, we don't give a shyte people DIED, we want our political power a LOT more than we care about democracy.

Which of course by itself is an anti-democracy stance since they feel they should be in power with Trump as our new king.

Anything less than that, the country can go to hell in a handbasket.

THAT is your bottom line. How does it feel to be morally bankrupt?
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 14:10
    @wildgrass said
    Why are you asking a question I already answered? And what does any of this have to do with immigration?
    You did not answer my question. Why does the USA have a lower birth rate than Mexico if it is not due to poverty in Mexico and lack of it in the USA? If I am wrong you must have an alternative explanation. Do you?
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 15:39
    @metal-brain said
    You did not answer my question. Why does the USA have a lower birth rate than Mexico if it is not due to poverty in Mexico and lack of it in the USA? If I am wrong you must have an alternative explanation. Do you?
    I agreed with you on the link between birth rate and poverty. What's missing is how you think decreasing poverty will decrease population.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 13:081 edit
    @wildgrass said
    I agreed with you on the link between birth rate and poverty. What's missing is how you think decreasing poverty will decrease population.
    Are you claiming an increasing population increases poverty?
    Do you think reducing population is the best way to reduce poverty?

YouTube
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 13:31
    @metal-brain said
    Lack of poverty in the USA? Lol I thought you said you lived in the US.
    One factor that could be considered is the availability of birth control and other fertility options in Mexico as opposed to the US, plus female educational standards.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 13:44
    @kevcvs57 said
    Lack of poverty in the USA? Lol I thought you said you lived in the US.
    One factor that could be considered is the availability of birth control and other fertility options in Mexico as opposed to the US, plus female educational standards.
    YouTube
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 23:38
    @metal-brain said
    Are you claiming an increasing population increases poverty?
    Do you think reducing population is the best way to reduce poverty?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbtptaajV8
    I haven't claimed anything. You wrote on page 3 that reducing poverty will reduce population. Why?
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 00:40
    @wildgrass said
    I haven't claimed anything. You wrote on page 3 that reducing poverty will reduce population. Why?
    YouTube
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '21 01:55
    @wildgrass said
    As it turn out Bill Gates is well aware of this and has been for years because people wrote him and told him the truth, so just listen to Bill Gates explain it to you.

YouTube

Notice he doesn't dispute what I have been saying at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree