Poverty in China

Poverty in China

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
17 Aug 10

Since introducing free-market policies, China has lifted 300 million citizens out of poverty, according to the United Nations.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-16/china-economy-passes-japan-s-in-second-quarter-capping-three-decade-rise.html

🙂

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Since introducing free-market policies, China has lifted 300 million citizens out of poverty, according to the United Nations.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-16/china-economy-passes-japan-s-in-second-quarter-capping-three-decade-rise.html

🙂
If they hadn't introduced "free market" policies maybe they would have lifted 400 million out of poverty by now.

q

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by rwingett
If they hadn't introduced "free market" policies maybe they would have lifted 400 million out of poverty by now.
More likely free markets work.

F

Moves
17 Aug 10

The Chinese have been tenacious and adventurous merchants for thousands of years. I think the 'authentic' Communist era from 1950 or so up until the 1970s, and the remnants of its political fallout up to the present day, are but a blip on the timeline and an aberration. Having said that, I am not claiming that Confucianism and feudalism have been the ideal breeding ground for the kind of "free markets" that 21st Century neo-liberal duckspeakers advocate.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by rwingett
Is there any basis at all for that speculation?

E

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by sh76
Perhaps by comparing Hong Kong's economy to the rest of China before China made reforms. The rest of China was such an economic power that the reforms were viewed as necessary. You see, Communist govenrments really want to move their countries in a Capitalistic direction. It just makes sense.

It is a wonder how liberals can come to the concusions they come to. I mean really, how blinded by ideology can one person be?

F

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by Eladar
It is a wonder how liberals can come to the concusions they come to. I mean really, how blinded by ideology can one person be?
What conclusions do "liberals" come to about 'post-communist' authoritarianism in China?

w

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by sh76
Its the same speculation that says that Obama's stimulus package saved millions of jobs. You know, the same stimulus package that was suppose to create millions of jobs.

w

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by Eladar
Perhaps by comparing Hong Kong's economy to the rest of China before China made reforms. The rest of China was such an economic power that the reforms were viewed as necessary. You see, Communist govenrments really want to move their countries in a Capitalistic direction. It just makes sense.

Its not that they love capitalism, its just that they allow enough of it to stimulate their economy. Personally, I think they abhor surrendering any power to the private sector, but then, its what works so they allow it.

F

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by whodey
Personally, I think they abhor surrendering any power to the private sector, but then, its what works so they allow it.
Which "liberals" on this forum, for instance, do you claim "abhor surrendering any power to the private sector"? So many of these kinds of claims you make seem like rhetorical freebasing. Can you make this one stick?

F

Moves
17 Aug 10

Its not that they love capitalism, its just that they allow enough of it to stimulate their economy.
You seem to be snatching 'analysis' out of thin air. Do you know anything at all about China in 2010? Its private sector is absolutely rampant with thousands and thousands - umpteen millions in fact - of colossal private investments both from overseas and from domestic sources . They "they allow enough of it to stimulate their economy" do they? How do you figure that?

w

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by FMF
Which "liberals" on this forum, for instance, do you claim "abhor surrendering any power to the private sector"? So many of these kinds of claims you make seem like rhetorical freebasing. Can you make this one stick?
It is pretty simple really, liberals blame everything on the private sector whether it be the credit crisis or the failing economy. The solution? The solution is always to empower government to bail out, take over, or regulate to death the private sector to save us all. Unfortunatly, history shows that the more intrusive government becomes on the private sector the less productive their economies become.

w

Moves
17 Aug 10

Originally posted by FMF
You seem to be snatching 'analysis' out of thin air. Do you know anything at all about China in 2010? Its private sector is absolutely rampant with thousands and thousands - umpteen millions in fact - of colossal private investments both from overseas and from domestic sources . They "they allow enough of it to stimulate their economy" do they? How do you figure that?
Why is all that money flowing into China? It is because of the population and the fact that it has been economically surpressed since the Great Wall was built by statists. Now the wall is gradually coming down and the world economies are salivating at the oppurtunity to stimulate vast growth in the region. In fact, China is poised to bypass Japan as the second best economy in the world.

F

Moves
17 Aug 10

It is pretty simple really, liberals blame everything on the private sector whether it be the credit crisis or the failing economy.
Who does? Who are you talking about? Who are these "liberals"?

F

Moves
17 Aug 10

China is poised to bypass Japan as the second best economy in the world.
You're just after having said that "they abhor surrendering any power to the private sector" and the very next post you say they are soon to become the second biggest economy in the world. You appear to be making an advertisement for the extraordinary capacity of authoritarianism. Not your intention, I am sure. But the incoherence and ambiguity of what you say is perhaps one of hazards of just making things up.