1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 04:17
    Consumers could see prices fall by up to 1.2% if Britain were to
    abolish all tariffs once it has left the European Union, a report says.
    Good News.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43459153

Almost offsets the 2% rise in prices falling the GBP fall after the Brexit vote.
    😀
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 19:36
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Good News.

Almost offsets the 2% rise in prices falling the GBP fall after the Brexit vote.
    😀
    Brexit was the throwing of a stone into a lake.

You focus too much sir on the transitory ripples.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Mar '18 23:20
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Brexit was the throwing of a stone into a lake.

You focus too much sir on the transitory ripples.
    Without the ripples how do we know the stone was thrown?

Rather like the soundless falling of the tree in the forest.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 08:24
    Is it going to happen?

I heard it characterized today as a brexit in name only.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 08:33
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Is it going to happen?

Sure, but that was probably said by Winnie the Pooh or by Dave down the pub.
  6. RSA
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 09:102 edits
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Is it going to happen?

You're referring to the transition period. The transition is pretty much EU membership but we can sign our own trade agreements. Brexit still happens in December 2020. Too long if you ask me.

While our own trade arrangements is the most important part of brexit I would prefer no deal to this transition. I'm fed up with many other aspects of the EU. The CFP, CAP and ECJ need to be consigned to the dustbin of history as soon as possible. Our poor fisherman who have seen the industry decimated by EU trawlers in British waters have been sold out by the government for the sake of big business.

The only bright spot is that the EU member states might not ratify the transition this Friday. That would put the government in an uncomfortable position as it would force them to face up to this sellout.

I want to leave the EU with no arrangements in March 2019. Make of bonfire of EU rules and red tape. Compete with them in every aspect of the economy. The British economy is very flexible and able to adapt.

The chancellor has his work cut out for him - fixing productivity and the dangerous levels of debt that the UK has. There have been hugely positive signs as of late - we'll post a budget surplus for the first time in nearly 20 years, productivity and manufacturing are growing at the fastest since the economy boomed in the 90's and unemployment is at 4.2%. The budget surplus will give him room to ease off austerity which will further boost growth. He needs to implement an industrial strategy to rebalance the economy away from London and bring manufacturing back to post industrial areas such as Northern Ireland and the north of England.

Inflation is rapidly falling back to the target of 2% and the record low unemployment is driving wage growth higher. For the first time in a while wages will outstrip inflation. This will ease pressure on consumers and boost the UK's spending economy.

London is still booming and extended its lead as the world's foremost financial centre this year. Despite the best efforts of France and to a lesser extent Germany to lure business away, tech startups and financial institutions still vastly prefer London to Paris or Frankfurt.

The truth is that the EU whinges about Trump and protectionism as it's some sort of champion of free trade. What a total joke. They whine about Trump putting 25% tariffs on their steel while simultaneously putting close to 80% tariffs on Chinese steel. The EU imposes 10% on some American goods while EU goods only have 2.5% added in America. That's not fair.

The EU's agricultural protectionism to protect continental European farmers is highly damaging to third world producers like here in South Africa as well as to net food importers like the UK. The CAP drastically increases food prices by close to 20% in the UK.

The only reason that the EU included the ability for us to make our own trade arrangements in the deal is because they know that if they didn't include that at the very least we would walk away, or worst of all for them, Boris, Michael Gove, Priti Patel, Olukemi Badenoch, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Penny Mordaunt, Kwasi Kwarteng, Liam Fox, David Davis or any brexiteer really in the Tory party could oust Mrs May and opt to leave with no deal.

I don't fancy funding a centralized EUSSR with the economic disaster that is the Euro that the British public want nothing to do with any longer than March 2019. I guess you can't have everything you want. There might be merit to Mrs May's approach of not being too rash and seeing how things play out. We might look back and say that she did the right thing and didn't leave with no deal prematurely.

Getting free trade with America (our closest ally, best friend and of course, the largest economy and most powerful country is a priority for the UK at the moment. Hopefully there will be some progress on that soon.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 10:19
    [i]Getting free trade with America (our closest ally, best friend and of course, the largest economy and most powerful country is a priority for the UK at the moment. Hopefully there will be some progress on that soon.[/b]
    Nah, most Brits want to distance themselves from US.
  8. RSA
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 11:112 edits
    That's definitely not true. People are actually starting to realize who our true friends are. The EU is not our friend. France and Germany's attempts in particular to damage business here by creating uncertainty have shown what we knew all along - they don't care about us - they care about shoring up their own power. They know that Britain is a nation of winners and that if we leave successfully and show that the EU and the euro is a failure their whole house of cards will come crumbling down. It would be the end of the euro which is kept artificially weaker than a German currency by Southern Europe and kept artificially stronger than an Italian currency by Germany.

This gives German heavy industry huge competitiveness in the market at the dear expense of Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Finland. Germany runs massive, damaging surpluses at the expense of other countries. Italy's economy, once larger than Britain's, has not grown in nearly 20 years, from the year they joined the euro in 2000. I love Italy and have visited many times, and it makes me sadder and sadder each time at how much it has deteriorated. I hate the Troika actions (at the insistence of Germany) for destroying Greece and Italy, our cultural centres and the birthplace of western civilization.

As a non-founding member of the EU, we had less power than any of the founder members except Belgium and Luxembourg despite having the second largest economy, largest military, being the overall most powerful member state (as well as paying the second highest amount in contributions) and being the EU's gateway to America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other Anglosphere/Commonwealth countries.

They thought they could give David Cameron's reforms the middle finger and that we would still vote to remain. I relished teaching them a lesson.

Europe is an ancient land with a history stretching back thousands of years. The EU is comparatively a mere blip, a stain on our proud history. To conflate the two is parochial.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 14:401 edit
    'I love Italy and have visited many times, and it makes me sadder and sadder each time at how much it has deteriorated.'@ashiitaka
    That is exactly how I feel when I visit England.What happened to your 'rose tinted glasses' theory.
    🙂
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 15:04
    Good News.

😀
    This is terrible.

Taxes help everyone.
  11. RSA
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    'I love Italy and have visited many times, and it makes me sadder and sadder each time at how much it has deteriorated.'@ashiitaka
    That is exactly how I feel when I visit England.What happened to your 'rose tinted glasses' theory.
    🙂
    The hard economic evidence shows that the UK has not deteriorated (it has fared very well compared to the Eurozone) and is going to start rapidly improving. It will be the developed economy that slips the least in the largest economy rankings until 2050. America will fall 2 places, Japan 5, Germany 4 and France 2. the UK will only fall 1 place. An alternative theory is that having lived in Germany you are juxtaposing the two countries.

Perhaps you just meant in terms of politics. In that case, well, you're just being subjective, aren't you? Some people would say this is the best thing that could have happened. The last few weeks have seen Jean-Claude Juncker "appoint" Martin Selmayr through what can only be described as pure corruption and cronyism as well as him congratulating Putin on his re-election in a nauseating sycophantic tweet instead of condemning the spy poisoning or criticizing the fact that the election was clearly rigged. Why is being run by this man acceptable to some people?
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    21 Mar '18 15:41
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    The hard economic evidence shows that the UK has not deteriorated (it has fared very well compared to the Eurozone) and is going to start rapidly improving. It will be the developed economy that slips the least in the largest economy rankings until 2050. America will fall 2 places, Japan 5, Germany 4 and France 2. the UK will only fall 1 place. An alterna ...[text shortened]... ct that the election was clearly rigged. Why is being run by this man acceptable to some people?
    I was in Italy a few times in the past 5 years and everything was fine.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 06:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 06:24
    Originally posted by @biffo-konker
    I was in Italy a few times in the past 5 years and everything was fine.
    Thank god for that. Phew.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '18 06:261 edit
    No more true than saying most Brits want to distance themselves from the European countries.

By the way, how is life on your little island on the other side of the globe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree