1. cube# 6484
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 17:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I just think the lives and the quality of life of those already living is more important than potential lives. Are couples who have less than the maximum number of possible children also murderers? In the end, it comes down to the arbitrary definition of "human" - and I'm sure you will claim that a human gets a soul once a sperm and egg cell fuse. Howev ...[text shortened]... l, therefore it's irrelevant and any boundary between human and non-human will be arbitrary.
    so a 10 week old fetus is not a human? What proof do you have of that?
  2. cube# 6484
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 17:51
    [b]Is there evidence for the existence of God?

No.

"Human and non-human", like animals?

What?[/b]
    No evidence of God? The sun goes up and down every day without fail, the stars, solar system, etc. You really 'see' no proof of a God, or even the potential for one?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 18:19
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    so a 10 week old fetus is not a human? What proof do you have of that?
    Where did I say that?

I just said that "human" or "not human" is useless as a moral criterion.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 18:22
    No evidence of God? The sun goes up and down every day without fail, the stars, solar system, etc. You really 'see' no proof of a God, or even the potential for one?
    Sure, there is the potential for an infinity of possible gods, but no evidence.

By the way, us physicists have some pretty nice explanations for those things.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 18:23
    How is that evidence of god specifically?

The sun going up and down every day is evidence that the earth revolves around the sun and that our theory of gravity is at least pretty accurate 🙂
  6. cube# 6484
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 18:321 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    How is that evidence of god specifically?

The sun going up and down every day is evidence that the earth revolves around the sun and that our theory of gravity is at least pretty accurate 🙂
    It's circumstantial evidence but with a little common sense you can draw a reasonable conclusion that one is not man made. A murderer can be convicted with circumstantial evidence---much less cirucmstantial evidence than we have for a God.
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 18:32
    [b]Is there evidence for the existence of God?

No.

"Human and non-human", like animals?

What?[/b]
    You said "However, you cannot support that statement with any evidence since there is no evidence for the existence of the soul, therefore it's irrelevant and any boundary between human and non-human will be arbitrary".
  8. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 18:33
    Originally posted by daniel58
    You said "However, you cannot support that statement with any evidence since there is no evidence for the existence of the soul, therefore it's irrelevant and any boundary between human and non-human will be arbitrary".
    Yes. So what do you mean by "human and non-human, like animals"?
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 19:521 edit
    That's what the problem is with people that are "pro-death" or pro-abortion" or whatever you want to call them, they don't realize that it IS a child just not grown-up yet, so if I gave you your future wife (or whatever) in a pot of soil and told you to water the plant every day even though it doesn't look human it will one day, and how do you know when it looks "human-enough"? Even though you shouldn't kill it in the first place.
    …they don't realize that it IS a child just not grown-up yet,
    ….

Does this apply to a newly fertilised egg?
    If so, then the same can be said about our skin cells: -you can be cloned from a skin cell so a skin cell has a potential to become a child!
    So does that mean if you kill a skin cell (by, for example applying an injection for medication) you are a “MURDER!!!” ?

Similarly, every time you brush you teeth you are rubbing off and killing some of your surface gum cells each of which has the potential of becoming another human being through cloning.
    So does that mean to brush you teeth is “MURDER!!!” ?
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 20:15
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…they don't realize that it IS a child just not grown-up yet,
    ….

Does this apply to a newly fertilised egg?
    If so, then the same can be said about our skin cells: -you can be cloned from a skin cell so a skin cell has a potential to become a child!
    So does that mean if you kill a skin cell (by, for example applying an injection for med ...[text shortened]... ing another human being through cloning.
    So does that mean to brush you teeth is “MURDER!!!” ?[/b]
    No it doesn't BECOME a child but will change the development of the child, so if someone sawed off a kids leg then it would grow up differently, but it wouldn't have to die.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 20:18
    No it doesn't BECOME a child but will change the development of the child, so if someone sawed off a kids leg then it would grow up differently, but it wouldn't have to die.
    I think you don't quite understand the post you were replying to. Try again.
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 20:23
    ……No it doesn't BECOME a child
    ….

I was talking about skin cells etc -I didn’t say the WILL become a child but rather they CAN become a child if they are cloned.

…but will CHANGE the development of the child, so if someone sawed off a kids leg then it would grow up differently, but it wouldn't have to die.
    …..

What will “CHANGE the development of the child”?
    What are you referring to here?
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 20:33
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]……No it doesn't BECOME a child
    ….

I was talking about skin cells etc -I didn’t say the WILL become a child but rather they CAN become a child if they are cloned.

…but will CHANGE the development of the child, so if someone sawed off a kids leg then it would grow up differently, but it wouldn't have to die.
    …..

What will “CHANGE the development of the child”?
    What are you referring to here?[/b]
    A SKIN CELL DOES NOT BECOME A CHILD!!!
  14. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 20:40
    A SKIN CELL DOES NOT BECOME A CHILD!!!
    It can.
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    20 Jul '09 21:01
    It's circumstantial evidence but with a little common sense you can draw a reasonable conclusion that one is not man made. A murderer can be convicted with circumstantial evidence---much less cirucmstantial evidence than we have for a God.
    With a little common sense you can see that this is just an example of the argument from incredulity and not really evidence at all.

Just because you can't think of another way doesn't mean that it counts as evidence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree