pro-life

pro-life

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by duecer
Roe vs. Wade...they already have
im not talking about legality, i'm talking about the argument that if one's not ready to be a parent then an abortion is the best/only option. It's not because there is always adoption..

S

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
im not talking about legality, i'm talking about the argument that if one's not ready to be a parent then an abortion is the best/only option. It's not because there is always adoption..
Rape? Medical conditions?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by zozozozo
Its not a hunk of flesh, its a bunch of cells sticking together.
Anyways, Its still unclear to me why my reason was idiotic, but i have the feeling this argument took long enough now...
It's ok, zozo. You can go play now.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Finally! Someone who understands...

Except that the line is not that easily drawn because the brain develops gradually, but at least we can say with certainty that some cases are clear cut for pro-choice.
so would you be against abortions after say...22 weeks--since a baby can survive at that point (it's earlier than that, but for the sake of this debate...)?

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Rape? Medical conditions?
adoption is still an option if you get raped, is it not?

S

Moves
15 Jul 09
1 edit

adoption is still an option if you get raped, is it not?
You think an autonomous person should carry a fetus, which was forcibly placed into them against their will, to term?

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
15 Jul 09

You think an autonomous person should carry a fetus which was forcibly placed into them against their will to term?
men are usually the ones crying loudest about the rights of the unborn, often siting the belief that the right of a forcibly implanted fetus supersedes the rights of the victim. Its really about men controlling the reproductive rights of women

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Jul 09

so would you be against abortions after say...22 weeks--since a baby can survive at that point (it's earlier than that, but for the sake of this debate...)?
Viability is up to scientists/physicians to decide.

My complete view would also pose conditions on brain development. If science develops into a point where viability reaches a point where brainless fetuses are "viable", then obviously I still think they are just chunks of flesh. Again, the exact minimal point would be decided by neurologists and other medical professionals.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09
1 edit

You think an autonomous person should carry a fetus, which was forcibly placed into them against their will, to term?
i could possibly see it in this case...but adoption is still a better option. Pro choice people always change the subject to these rare circumstances. Most abortions are not done after a rape, they are done after someone chooses to get pregnant even though they don't want a child.

S

Moves
15 Jul 09

men are usually the ones crying loudest about the rights of the unborn, often siting the belief that the right of a forcibly implanted fetus supersedes the rights of the victim. Its really about men controlling the reproductive rights of women
I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic, obviously there will be more women pro-choice when it comes to rape cases. I'm not sure it's 'really about men controlling the reproductive rights of women'.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Viability is up to scientists/physicians to decide.

My complete view would also pose conditions on brain development. If science develops into a point where viability reaches a point where brainless fetuses are "viable", then obviously I still think they are just chunks of flesh. Again, the exact minimal point would be decided by neurologists and other medical professionals.
wow, way to not answer the question. Babies have lived at 22 weeks, so make a decision! Ok, i'll dumb down my question for you, at 34 weeks (is that viable enough for you or do i need to get a scientist involved) is an abortion cool with you?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Jul 09

wow, way to not answer the question. Babies have lived at 22 weeks, so make a decision! Ok, i'll dumb down my question for you, at 34 weeks (is that viable enough for you or do i need to get a scientist involved) is an abortion cool with you?
Are you stupid? My previous answer already made it clear that at 34 weeks abortion would not be 'cool' with me.

S

Moves
15 Jul 09

i could possibly see it in this case...but adoption is still a better option. Pro choice people always change the subject to these rare circumstances. Most abortions are not done after a rape, they are done after someone chooses to get pregnant even though they don't want a child.
Again you're precluding the argument by assuming that the fetus always has a right to life, but there is clearly a time at which the fetus is just a ball of cells. Adoption is not a better option if there is no need to bring the ball of cells to life/personhood.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09

men cotrolling the repro rights of woman, lol.. good one. It's never about the baby to pro choice people. You always divert to something else. I give a woman all the rights in the world to reproduce. If you don't want to reproduce, don't get freaking pregnant...and if you do take some responsiblity and don't kill the baby. You can call it a fetus or whatever, but just because it can't live outside the womb at 12, 15, 20 weeks, whatever doesn't mean it isnt a living human being.

N

cube# 6484

Moves
15 Jul 09

Again you're precluding the argument by assuming that the fetus always has a right to life, but there is clearly a time at which the fetus is just a ball of cells. Adoption is not a better option if there is no need to bring the ball of cells to life/personhood.
but that is not the usual argument made by pro choicers, and the one i most disagree with...that an abortion should be ok at any stage.