1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 00:53
    Originally posted by bill718
    Thousands of children in Flint, MI have been poisoned. Many face permanent brain damage, some face death. So....where are all these "Pro Life" advocates expressing their outrage at the destruction of innocent lives.

300 children and teens were needlessly killed in gun violence in America in 2015. So....where are all these "Pro Life" advocates expressin ...[text shortened]... ?

Why are all these "Pro Life" advocates only "Pro Life" when it comes to one area. Abortion?
    You do realize that even in Flint, MI folks have lots of options for drinking water. If they think city water is crappy, nobody forces them to drink it.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 11:531 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You do realize that even in Flint, MI folks have lots of options for drinking water. If they think city water is crappy, nobody forces them to drink it.
    yep that's the way society should work. water dirty? don't drink it. woman harassed online? don't go online. mass shootings everywhere? buy a gun you wimp. unless you already died in a mass shooting in which case, why didn't you have a gun, you wimp.

yes, buying bottled water for consumption AND cooking AND hygiene is a valid option for a family living on minimum wage.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 11:56
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yep that's the way society should work. water dirty? don't drink it. woman harassed online? don't go online. mass shootings everywhere? buy a gun you wimp. unless you already died in a mass shooting in which case, why didn't you have a gun, you wimp.

yes, buying bottled water for consumption AND cooking AND hygiene is a valid option for a family living on minimum wage.
    So if the state is going to have a bunch of slaves on their plantation the least they can do is provide them with adequate and safe drinking water.

True dat! 😛
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 12:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if the state is going to have a bunch of slaves on their plantation the least they can do is provide them with adequate and safe drinking water.

True dat! 😛
    what? nevermind, i don't care.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    These beliefs are irrational but not necessarily "religious" - you will be hard-pressed to find any Bible verse saying abortion is wrong. Christianity was the dominant religion in the early United States but the first State to outlaw it did so only in the early 1800s and it was not outlawed in the entire US until 1900. People cling to these beliefs because their social circles hold them and they swallow them unquestioningly.
    These beliefs stem from concerns about what would please and displease the biblical god. For example, masturbation isn't mentioned in the bible, yet it's almost universally agreed by Christians to be wrong. The same with suicide and gambling: not mentioned as sins in the bible, but believed to be evil due to other verses in the bible that some Christians feel makes a case for it

Whether or not the bible actually mention things like abortion has no bearing on the fact that the majority of pro-lifers oppose it for what they believe are religious reasons.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:541 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    Thousands of children in Flint, MI have been poisoned. Many face permanent brain damage, some face death. So....where are all these "Pro Life" advocates expressing their outrage at the destruction of innocent lives.

300 children and teens were needlessly killed in gun violence in America in 2015. So....where are all these "Pro Life" advocates expressin ...[text shortened]... ?

Why are all these "Pro Life" advocates only "Pro Life" when it comes to one area. Abortion?
    While I wouldn't characterize myself as pro-life (in fact, I am pro-death, in many cases; see e.g., YouTube), as a Republican, I would like to hereby express my outrage at what has been going on in Flint. I don't have as broad a view of government responsibility as you probably do, but providing safe water does seem to be a responsibility that government ought to satisfy.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 16:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    These beliefs stem from concerns about what would please and displease the biblical god. For example, masturbation isn't mentioned in the bible, yet it's almost universally agreed by Christians to be wrong. The same with suicide and gambling: not mentioned as sins in the bible, but believed to be evil due to other verses in the bible that some Christians f ...[text shortened]... ct that the majority of pro-lifers oppose it for what they believe are religious reasons.
    But if these concerns stem from what is perceived to be (dis)pleasing to the Biblical God, why do these beliefs come and go while the Bible stays the same? The same kind of Bible-thumping American that is against abortion (no ban in the Bible) tends to be in favour of "capitalism" (while usury is clearly banned in the Bible). I'm not saying that religion plays no role here, but you should see it within a bigger picture, where cultural, tribal and religious superstitutions intertwine, supplement and sometimes contradict each other.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    These beliefs stem from concerns about what would please and displease the biblical god. For example, masturbation isn't mentioned in the bible, yet it's almost universally agreed by Christians to be wrong. The same with suicide and gambling: not mentioned as sins in the bible, but believed to be evil due to other verses in the bible that some Christians f ...[text shortened]... ct that the majority of pro-lifers oppose it for what they believe are religious reasons.
    Genesis 38 has been interpreted as being anti-masturbation even though Onan did not literally masturbate:

"8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Sleep with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to raise up offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the Lord’s sight; so the Lord put him to death also."
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    They are tragic deaths bill, just like the tragic deaths in the streets of Chicago about every day that you never mention.

Problem is, abortion has killed over 50 million babies. Your silence on the matter is duly noted.

Incidentally, I did start a thread about the lead in water around the country
    Hou do realise it's a woman's body and none of your god damned business what she does with it?
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:27
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

Yeh, we all should rely on government, or society to solve all the problems, and when they don't, where do we turn?
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    While I wouldn't characterize myself as pro-life (in fact, I am pro-death, in many cases; see e.g., [youtube]rr29v3SUjAQ[/youtube]), as a Republican, I would like to hereby express my outrage at what has been going on in Flint. I don't have as broad a view of government responsibility as you probably do, but providing safe water does seem to be a responsibility that government ought to satisfy.
    The question next is at what level? What does "safe" really mean? I don't drink Detroit's or any other city water when I travel. I don't consider it safe. You may not die, or get sick tomorrow, but there is plenty of evidence if you look at it to show that most public water supplies aren't particularly healthy.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:35
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Hou do realise it's a woman's body and none of your god damned business what she does with it?
    That's an interesting position. Suppose I decide to be a serial killer with my body. Does that idea still apply?
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    But if these concerns stem from what is perceived to be (dis)pleasing to the Biblical God, why do these beliefs come and go while the Bible stays the same? The same kind of Bible-thumping American that is against abortion (no ban in the Bible) tends to be in favour of "capitalism" (while usury is clearly banned in the Bible). I'm not saying that religio ...[text shortened]... tribal and religious superstitutions intertwine, supplement and sometimes contradict each other.
    Why not get out of the religion business, and let those with a religion believe and act as they will? Because we may believe differently is no reason to impose our beliefs on them.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:57
    Why not get out of the religion business, and let those with a religion believe and act as they will? Because we may believe differently is no reason to impose our beliefs on them.
    My post was descriptive, not prescriptive.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:57
    They are paying for it, you dolt. What should they do for showers, bathing and cooking?

Residents of the impoverished City of Flint pay some of the highest water bills in Michigan. And those bills have not stopped coming or been reduced since state and local officials acknowledged the water is unsafe to drink without filtering.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/01/11/should-flint-residents-pay-lead-poisoned-water/78643368/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree