1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:04
    @lemon-lime said
    disappointing that this garbage isn't removed.
    I know, right? But don't blame us, blame it on that pesky little first amendment thingamabob.
    What makes you think the First Amendment applies to a private Forum on a chess website?

The Posting Guidelines are on top of the page; your posts are in violation of them.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:10
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Well, isn't this strange?!?

In the wake of protests following the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a member of the Boogaloo Bois opened fire on the Minneapolis Police Third Precinct with an AK-47-style gun and screamed “Justice for Floyd” as he ran away, according to a federal complaint made public Friday.

He opened fire on the police...? He screamed "Justi ...[text shortened]...

This makes no sense! I thought Boogaloos were white supremacists???

What... the.... jeepers!
    No it’s called a false flag op. Your only supposed to fall for it if they don’t actually find the actor and discover the truth.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:19
    So anyone have any comments about the actual topic of the thread?
  4. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:213 edits
    @no1marauder said
    Yeah, if the Republicans are trying to suppress voting they are doing a crappy job of it since 50 million people have voted so far and the elections are ten days away.
    Who exactly have they kept from voting?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:37
    @dood111 said
    Yeah, if the Republicans are trying to suppress voting they are doing a crappy job of it since 50 million people have voted so far and the elections are ten days away.
    Who exactly have they kept from voting?
    Good question:

"States across the American South have closed nearly 1,200 polling places since the Supreme Court weakened a landmark voting-discrimination law in 2013, according to a report released by a civil-rights group on Tuesday."

"The report comes as Republican-led states impose a range of other restrictions, from shorter voting hours to photo-ID requirements. As turnout has surged in recent elections, voters in cities like Phoenix, Arizona and Atlanta, Georgia, have endured hours-long waits to cast their ballots.

Seven counties in Georgia now have only one polling place, the report found."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-locations/southern-u-s-states-have-closed-1200-polling-places-in-recent-years-rights-group-idUSKCN1VV09J
  6. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:48
    @no1marauder said
    Good question:

"States across the American South have closed nearly 1,200 polling places since the Supreme Court weakened a landmark voting-discrimination law in 2013, according to a report released by a civil-rights group on Tuesday."
    Wow.
    So SEVEN YEARS AGO 1200 polling places were closed but FIFTY MILLION PEOPLE have voted ten days before the election, which is a record, and you claim people are being prevented from voting.
    Try again.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 23:56
    @dood111 said
    Wow.
    So SEVEN YEARS AGO 1200 polling places were closed but FIFTY MILLION PEOPLE have voted ten days before the election, which is a record, and you claim people are being prevented from voting.
    Try again.
    No, I claimed that Republicans are trying to suppress the voting of esp. minority citizens but that effort is backfiring.

There are also many lawsuits out there by Republicans trying to restrict mail in voting, limit hours of voting, etc. etc. etc. In one rather hilarious instance, Republicans in New Jersey are suing to stop a practice the same one Donald Trump used to vote in a Congressional primary in Florida this year:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/20/politics/trump-ballot-florida-lawsuit/index.html
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 00:02
    "A litigious conservative activist in Houston, the Harris County Republican party, and a number of Republican officials and candidates are asking the Texas Supreme Court to limit in-person and absentee voting options for Harris County voters during the pandemic."

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/28/houston-republicans-lawsuit-voting/

This is just one example among many of Republican efforts to limit voting as much as possible.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 00:301 edit
    @no1marauder said
    What makes you think the First Amendment applies to a private Forum on a chess website?

The Posting Guidelines are on top of the page; your posts are in violation of them.
    Okay, so I violated the no contradicting no1marauder rule. So what?
    You frequently violate the everyone must agree with lemon lime rule.
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 02:44
    😄
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '20 19:10
    @Cheesemaster

You must be one of those dreamers.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 13:52
    22% of Biden supporters said they would take action to challenge the result, while 16% of Trump supporters said they would challenge a Democratic win by protesting in public or resorting to violence.

https://www.axios.com/reuters-poll-americans-accept-result-election-4e37aa1d-bd1c-46ad-92da-5da2e57805eb.html
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 14:13
    @metal-brain said
    22% of Biden supporters said they would take action to challenge the result, while 16% of Trump supporters said they would challenge a Democratic win by protesting in public or resorting to violence.

https://www.axios.com/reuters-poll-americans-accept-result-election-4e37aa1d-bd1c-46ad-92da-5da2e57805eb.html
    Yeah the problem is one of those in the Trump figures is Trump himself.
    If the words you used are verbatim it sounds like Dems are looking at a legal challenge whilst republicans are talking about a violent attempt to overthrow a democratic decision.
    Different strokes I suppose.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 14:18
    @no1marauder said
    Yes.

You're right. Trump is toast. The only real drama is whether Biden can take states like Texas and Georgia. The Dems will take the Senate too.

The real question is what comes next.

To me, the central issue is what's done about COVID response and the economy (which are intertwined, of course). Other issues are background noise.

While I recognize that states control these issues for the most part, my one great fear is that the Biden administration will normalize COVID overreaction, making it more likely that policies like closing schools will be sustained.

I don't give a damn about whether crowded bars or ballgames are open. Keep them closed forever. I don't care. Pass all the mask mandates you want. I also don't care. Nobody is going to enforce mask mandates when people are walking in solitude anyway and if they want to enforce mask mandates in stores and houses of worship, they have my blessing. If Biden wants to jack up my taxes is a bit (though he promises he won't), I'll live.

But force kids to stay home from school and crush local retail businesses and we have a serious freaking problem. That's the one thing I'm concerned about.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 23:22
    @sh76 said
    Yes.

You're right. Trump is toast. The only real drama is whether Biden can take states like Texas and Georgia. The Dems will take the Senate too.

The real question is what comes next.

To me, the central issue is what's done about COVID response and the economy (which are intertwined, of course). Other issues are background noise.

While I recognize that states contro ...[text shortened]... retail businesses and we have a serious freaking problem. That's the one thing I'm concerned about.
    People are sick of mask mandates. Biden will lose because of that alone. By election day even democrats will have mask fatigue and not be motivated to vote.

Polls mean nothing unless all of those polled vote.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree