Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 07 Mar '13 16:18 / 4 edits
    I've posted a few pro drugs statements, cannabis especially... But they do have a dark side, I've seen it...

    Have you seen this film? what do you think it says about drug users and how they should be treated (or left alone to my mind)

    Your thoughts?
  2. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    10 Mar '13 16:30
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I've posted a few pro drugs statements, cannabis especially... But they do have a dark side, I've seen it...

    Have you seen this film? what do you think it says about drug users and how they should be treated (or left alone to my mind)

    Your thoughts?
    People think that addicts go out and steal and pimp themselves when they cant afford a fix.
    I guess it would be boring just to show those people just hangin out.

    Drug use is stereotyped in all mainstream media.

    Thing is drug use has been with us from time immemorial, to prohibit what people can and cant do to their bodies is ridiculous.

    And if you try to paint drugs in a fair,(non biased), light then you are seen to be promoting drug use.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 Mar '13 17:21
    I remember when I was at school, there was research out which showed that you have just as much chance of developing schitzophrenia by marijuana use as by masturbation. The ultimate conclusion being that schitzophrenia is something you have or don't. And if you do have it, something, somewhere, sometime is going to trigger it.

    As for LSD, the probability of it causing schitzophrenia is just as high as any other drug or non-drug. However, if you have schitzophrenia and you take it, it has a higher chance of triggering it (making it non-dormant, if you will).
    Hence the advice: don't use LSD until you're older than 25.
    Why? Because schitzophrenia will generally have been triggered by the age of 25 (excluding pregnant women). So, the chances of you being older than 25 and schitzophrenia being dormant in your brain is rather small. And if it ain't there.... it ain't gonna be triggered.

    Drugs, as with most things (with the beautiful exception of orgasms), are okay if you take good quality stuff and don't over do it.
  4. 11 Mar '13 01:52 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    People think that addicts go out and steal and pimp themselves when they cant afford a fix.
    I guess it would be boring just to show those people just hangin out.

    Drug use is stereotyped in all mainstream media.

    Thing is drug use has been with us from time immemorial, to prohibit what people can and cant do to their bodies is ridiculous.

    And if ...[text shortened]... you try to paint drugs in a fair,(non biased), light then you are seen to be promoting drug use.
    Its true very few people have the guts to publicly put drugs in a fair light. and no politicians. We have a black market the size of tescos and they just try to pretend its not there ,that its not about 6 million people in the UK.

    But I have lost friends to drugs and whilst I'm very pro cannanbis, its a sin that its illegal. And its deeply wrong to criminalise people for using it. Requiem for a dream is mostly about harder drugs (I think they are taking heroin) My attitude to heroin is that taking it, possesion should not be a crime. Any associated crime i would still act on, and dealing, With that drug, methadone is the best solution, so much that methadone must have a quantifiable effect on shoplifting. I wouldn't legalise any hallucinogens either, on the basis they are poisons that happen to get you high.

    Regarding Schizophrenia, I do believe and have seen cannabis cause this. I think the pro weed people need to admit to it. But it is very rare amoung the stoners i know, the mental health profession say its an issue as they see it often, but really they are seeing the tip of the iceburg of otherwise stable users. And I agree those who get it would have just as many problems if booze was there thing. I also know the pressures of dealing with the black market, particualy inconsistent supply give some stoners mental health problems they would not have if it was legal.
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    11 Mar '13 07:57
    The U.S. has a big problem with overconsumption. The U.S. is the most obese nation earth, because we spoiled, over-indulged Americans, have little self-control. It's even gotten to the point where laws have been passed regarding our intake of sugary drinks.

    People in this country also smoke themselves to death, or give themselves some sort of lung disease, despite the warnings on cigarette labels. Cigarette companies have been sued for (and lost) ungodly amounts of money, by people stupid people with no self-control, or care that what they're doing is unhealty.

    And I haven't even gotten to our problem with alcoholism yet. These problems illustrate our problem with substance abuse. And these millions of people eventually become a strain on the national economy, when programs and institutions must be put in place to help them recover; this includes both physical (like detox) and mental help (counseling), which is usually funded by the government.

    In short, since the government has to bail out scores of Americans who can't control themselves when they abuse substances, the government should have the right to make laws regarding drugs. It only makes sense.
  6. 12 Mar '13 00:54
    Originally posted by vivify
    The U.S. has a big problem with overconsumption. The U.S. is the most obese nation earth, because we spoiled, over-indulged Americans, have little self-control. It's even gotten to the point where laws have been passed regarding our intake of sugary drinks.

    People in this country also smoke themselves to death, or give themselves some sort of lung dise ...[text shortened]... es, the government should have the right to make laws regarding drugs. It only makes sense.
    I find it interesting how Victorian England had about the most lax drugs laws possible, but was very prosperous, heroin cocaine, that was cough medicine, extra strong was probably both! Somehow they controled themselves. Its risky to say but i can immagine an everything legal world working out. I think what makes it work , like the dutch too, is a society that is otherwise a bit conservative ... sounds like rubbish ... but the swiss are quite conservative but very liberal with weed, not poor either... i doubt they could bear loosing money to it?
  7. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    12 Mar '13 07:12
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Its true very few people have the guts to publicly put drugs in a fair light. and no politicians. We have a black market the size of tescos and they just try to pretend its not there ,that its not about 6 million people in the UK.

    But I have lost friends to drugs and whilst I'm very pro cannanbis, its a sin that its illegal. And its deeply wrong to crimin ...[text shortened]... onsistent supply give some stoners mental health problems they would not have if it was legal.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't their pupils widen after taking their drugs in that movie, suggesting it's some sort of speed that they're on rather than an opiate, where you're pupils get smaller?
  8. 12 Mar '13 09:55 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't their pupils widen after taking their drugs in that movie, suggesting it's some sort of speed that they're on rather than an opiate, where you're pupils get smaller?
    I don't know what they are taking. The mother is on speed / amphetamine based diet pills. But I'm not sure what the couple are taking, it is either heroin or cocaine, has to be with how hooked they are - neither is good!! To me it's a cruel but very good film, did you like it? In the UK they would both end up on methadone probably.
  9. 15 Mar '13 10:07
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I've posted a few pro drugs statements, cannabis especially... But they do have a dark side, I've seen it...

    Have you seen this film? what do you think it says about drug users and how they should be treated (or left alone to my mind)

    Your thoughts?
    A young Jennifer Connely involved in an ass-to-ass is not bad, though admittedly twisted and sad. Not quite as upbeat as the even-younger Jennifer Connely riding the horse in Career Opportunities.

    I found the movie Requiem for a Dream well-acted but depressing. The ending was gross.

    In general, I have seen the different forms of powder destroy people. Stay away.
  10. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    17 Mar '13 09:13
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I don't know what they are taking. The mother is on speed / amphetamine based diet pills. But I'm not sure what the couple are taking, it is either heroin or cocaine, has to be with how hooked they are - neither is good!! To me it's a cruel but very good film, did you like it? In the UK they would both end up on methadone probably.
    Methadone is to treat opiate based addictions.

    I did like the movie but only in a fantasy way.

    I dont think it reflects reality.
  11. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    17 Mar '13 09:15
    Originally posted by moon1969
    A young Jennifer Connely involved in an ass-to-ass is not bad, though admittedly twisted and sad. Not quite as upbeat as the even-younger Jennifer Connely riding the horse in Career Opportunities.

    I found the movie Requiem for a Dream well-acted but depressing. The ending was gross.

    In general, I have seen the different forms of powder destroy people. Stay away.
    And what about alcohol? Stay away from that too?
  12. 17 Mar '13 19:12
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    And what about alcohol? Stay away from that too?
    Yeah, though overall alcohol not as bad as powder for most people, but it can be bad, very bad. It being legal (except being intoxicated while driving or too intoxicated publicly) helps for to function in society. Cigarettes not a great thing to do. Marijuana is the least bad of them all, but is generally illegal.
  13. 17 Mar '13 21:01
    I feel like I should be 'responsible' in this thread ... try not to sound like a character from trainspotting. But I hate the black market for weed I think it is very destructive to the UK. Its the sole reason why I left England.. the numbnut thinkers who keep it illegal are wreckless / feckless . Its about as responsible as me going into a supermarket with bottle of mercury and pooring it into the ready meals... what a dumb thing to suggest... well if you take drugs such a threat is inconsiquential because you are far more likely to be poisoned by your next bag. I view countries that don't have any plans to legalise weed as dead. they might as well not exist. I think the same of any newspaper / political party who say a bad word about weed, you might as well be dead. I won't vote for you.. touch your stupid paper ever (the labour party in the UK are dead to my mind over this. the surge in liberal votes was the cannabis vote)... Its time for a change with this..
  14. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    17 Mar '13 21:58
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Yeah, though overall alcohol not as bad as powder for most people, but it can be bad, very bad. It being legal (except being intoxicated while driving or too intoxicated publicly) helps for to function in society. Cigarettes not a great thing to do. Marijuana is the least bad of them all, but is generally illegal.
    yep. its a twisted society. as far as i'm concerned there's nothing wrong with any drugs. heck, you can get off your face on all sorts of legal stuff.
    the worst part about it is that thc takes the longest to get out of your system, despite being the least harmful.
    you cant get f***ed up on h and amphedamines on friday night and give a clean urine for work on monday whereas weed takes 2 months to get out of your system.
  15. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    17 Mar '13 22:03
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I feel like I should be 'responsible' in this thread ... try not to sound like a character from trainspotting. But I hate the black market for weed I think it is very destructive to the UK. Its the sole reason why I left England.. the numbnut thinkers who keep it illegal are wreckless / feckless . Its about as responsible as me going into a supermarket with ...[text shortened]... this. the surge in liberal votes was the cannabis vote)... Its time for a change with this..
    yeah, it's legal in rainy holland. yay :s

    how about making it legal in australia . could you imagine the ads - kicking back on the beach in beautiful weather, people surfing , hot chicks in bikinis while you toke on a huge bob marley!! Now that would be a cash cow