Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Garner, NC

Moves
15 Aug 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Yes, I would attempt to stop somebody from committing suicide.

I just find it ironic that Whodey - always so concerned with Freedom being taken away and Personal Responsibility disappearing as the Nanny State takes over your, mine and everybody's life* - is so easy to ditch all of that when somebody decides to steer that Freedom in a direction that ...[text shortened]... ER carrying a DNR?

* I'm positive Whodey could phrase this in a more poetic, hyperbolic way.
I'm sure whodey can defend his own point, but it seemed to me that for the statement to which you were referring he was talking specifically about Robin Williams in 2014.

If we're going to talk about legality and/or morality of suicide (and specifically to what extent we intervene), we'd be remiss to not consider cases where the person may be making a terribly short sighted decision.

I once knew a Cornell graduate who tells of the practice of putting suicide watch guards near campus gorges on the day of the Freshmen class' first Chemistry exam. (I don't know if this still happens today). If I were near a freshman about to commit suicide because he failed (or perhaps made a C) on a Chemistry test, I would put up a spirited fight against it, sort of what whodey was suggesting he'd do had he been around Robin Williams. Note, this has nothing to do with government control because neither of us would have been acting in an official capacity.

Whodey may choose to answer questions about DNR and such, but it seems like a very reasonable position to say that in some cases you'd try to prevent a suicide. And I'd say this has little to do with one's view of the Nanny State.

K

Germany

Moves
15 Aug 14

Originally posted by techsouth
I'm sure whodey can defend his own point [...]
I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you.

rc

Moves
15 Aug 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you.
LOL

nanoo nanoo whodey, come in whodey

dudes wired to da moon man!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Aug 14

Originally posted by whodey
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-robin-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-his-94744481702.html

Apparently, Robin Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Was this the reason he killed himself? If so, should he be given the right to kill himself? For those who are in favor of euthanasia, should Robin have been able to check into a medical facility and terminate his life without any fear of "pain"?
US television media outlets report that Robin Williams struggled with alcohol and drug addiction for decades which may have hastened the onset of Parkinson's Disease. Hanging himself was the culminating event of a gradual suicide process. imo

E

Moves
16 Aug 14

Seems to me that the talk of Euthanasia combined with Socialized medicine is not a good combination.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/euthanasia-is-out-of-control-in-the-netherlands-new-dutch-statistics

K

Germany

Moves
16 Aug 14

Originally posted by Eladar
Seems to me that the talk of Euthanasia combined with Socialized medicine is not a good combination.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/euthanasia-is-out-of-control-in-the-netherlands-new-dutch-statistics
The article is not particularly accurate - euthanasia deaths contribute to only about two percent of all deaths. Performing euthanasia without registering it is illegal; not following the prescribed procedures can and does lead to prosecution, in constrast to what is suggested in the article. The number of deaths relating to euthanasia is rising (1.8% in 2005 to 2.3% in 2010), but is hardly "out of control."

Oh, and the Netherlands has a private health care system.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
16 Aug 14

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-robin-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-his-94744481702.html

Apparently, Robin Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Was this the reason he killed himself? If so, should he be given the right to kill himself? For those who are in favor of euthanasia, should Robin have been able to check into a medical facility and terminate his life without any fear of "pain"?
I hope Parkinson was funnier than RW

E

Moves
16 Aug 14

The article is not particularly accurate - euthanasia deaths contribute to only about two percent of all deaths. Performing euthanasia without registering it is illegal; not following the prescribed procedures can and does lead to prosecution, in constrast to what is suggested in the article. The number of deaths relating to euthanasia is rising (1.8% i ...[text shortened]... 0), but is hardly "out of control."

Oh, and the Netherlands has a private health care system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_the_Netherlands

The Netherlands has a dual-level system. All primary and curative care (i.e. the family doctor service and hospitals and clinics) is financed from private obligatory insurance. Long term care for the elderly, the dying, the long term mentally ill etc. is covered by social insurance funded from earmarked taxation.

Were you trying to deceive or were you simply ignorant?

E

Moves
16 Aug 14

Originally posted by redbadger
I hope Parkinson was funnier than RW
Like you, there is nothing funny about Parkinson's.

K

Germany

Moves
16 Aug 14

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_the_Netherlands

[b]The Netherlands has a dual-level system. All primary and curative care (i.e. the family doctor service and hospitals and clinics) is financed from private obligatory insurance. Long term care for the elderly, the dying, the long term mentally ill etc. is covered by social insurance funded from earmarked taxation.

Were you trying to deceive or were you simply ignorant?[/b]
Neither - the "primary and curative care" is the vast majority of all health care.

w

Moves
17 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Great King Rat
See here Whodey's idea of "Freedom".

Marvelous.
I'm simply exploring worldviews is all.

Usually people fall into one of two categories.

1. Those that favor death only via euthanasia or abortion.

2. Those that favor death by killing only those who murder others.

Looking at these two worldviews, it seems to me that #1, where you assumingly fall, only favors death for those who are either too weak or incompetent to defend themselves adequately.

Of course, there are those like Robbie, who purport to favor neither, even though he spends all his waking hours defending those with the worldview of #1.

E

Moves
17 Aug 14

Neither - the "primary and curative care" is the vast majority of all health care.
Total BS, the ones being terminated are the ones under Socialized care.

w

Moves
17 Aug 14
1 edit

Total BS, the ones being terminated are the ones under Socialized care.
Like in the VA

It's a simple message really. Once you have outlived your usefulness to society and are terminally ill, you need to let nature take its course and die quickly, cause you simply cost the state too much money.

K

Germany

Moves
17 Aug 14

Like in the VA

It's a simple message really. Once you have outlived your usefulness to society and are terminally ill, you need to let nature take its course and die quickly, cause you simply cost the state too much money.
Yes, because legalizing something is the same as forcing people to do something.

Infidel

Moves
17 Aug 14
1 edit

I'm simply exploring worldviews is all.

Usually people fall into one of two categories.

1. Those that favor death only via euthanasia or abortion.

2. Those that favor death by killing only those who murder others.

Looking at these two worldviews, it seems to me that #1, where you assumingly fall, only favors death for those who are either too we ...[text shortened]... or neither, even though he spends all his waking hours defending those with the worldview of #1.
Damn... you, Eladar and some others here really do have an ongoing battle to determine who is the biggest moron of them all, don't you?

Euthanasia isn't about killing those that are too weak to defend themselves, you disrespectful dumbass.

It gives people who don't wish to live anymore a way out that isn't messy and painful and gives them the oppurtunity to properly say their goodbyes to their loved ones and vice versa.

People who suffer from Lou Gehrig's disease for instance. Many people don't want to live the final stage of their lives as a vegetable. Instead, when they can still communicate properly they will wish to go on their terms.

Euthanasia isn't murdering people, you stupid, stupid, disrespectful, godfearing, hillbilly retard.

It gives people the freedom to take control over the end of their own lives.

Fvck, somebody should really punch your lights out, man.

Fvcking retard.