Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Robin Williams had Parkinsons

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Aug 14

Originally posted by whodey
Thumbs up or down Emperor Nero. Does Robin live?
You want Nero's opinion?!

He will not be permitted to die. Nero finds him amusing.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
23 Aug 14

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
A doctor would have to violate his Hippocratic Oath to euthanize.
Which is the greater harm, ending the patients life or forcing them to endure the unendurable?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
23 Aug 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
You know, the concept of euthanasia is not that difficult to comprehend. The decision is taken by the person who wants to die. No "death panel" is required other than a doctor who needs to judge whether someone is capable of making this decision.
My problem with euthanasia is that it could become compulsory. Especially with the privatisation by stealth of the NHS. The chronically ill are not profitable. I do not regard withdrawal of treatment as euthanasia, and I also do not regard a decision to forget cure and go for pain or symptom management at the expense of life expectancy as euthanasia. Euthanasia is a deliberate attempt to kill the patient.

Where a patient is able bodied, but in unendurable pain, then really no assistance is required. They can do what Robin Williams did although I wouldn't recommend hanging, there are better ways. Sensible advice on how to do it should be available to those (and only those) who are in an intolerable position. Where a patient cannot be expected to kill themselves then a judge must be involved to ensure that there is no hope of improvement, that no pressure is being put on them, and that the decision is theirs and theirs alone.

For myself I intend to see it out to the bitter end, for the reason that if I take the easy route then others may find themselves forced into death. Incidentally I'm speaking about the distant future, this isn't something I need to worry about for the time being. I can well imagine the elderly and infirm being told they are being selfish wanting to live on and should die in an orderly manner.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
23 Aug 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
Which is the greater harm, ending the patients life or forcing them to endure the unendurable?
"Forcing them"?

The doctor can choose to kill the person or not kill the person. He isn't "forcing" the suffering individual by refusing to kill him.

w

Moves
24 Aug 14

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
No, I'm not a doctor.
So being a doctor qualified you on knowing when a life is no longer worth living?

P

Moves
24 Aug 14

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/wife-robin-williams-had-parkinsons-disease-his-94744481702.html

Apparently, Robin Williams had recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons.

Was this the reason he killed himself? If so, should he be given the right to kill himself? For those who are in favor of euthanasia, should Robin have been able to check into a medical facility and terminate his life without any fear of "pain"?
yes

w

Moves
24 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Phranny
yes
Finally, someone admits to believing that a doctor should have helped Robin kill himself.

Should this "right" be given to anyone for any reason?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
24 Aug 14
3 edits

Finally, someone admits to believing that a doctor should have helped Robin kill himself.

Should this "right" be given to anyone for any reason?
Finally, someone admits to believing that a doctor should have been able to help Robin kill himself.

Provided he could find a willing doctor.

w

Moves
24 Aug 14

Originally posted by Wajoma
Finally, someone admits to believing that a doctor should have [b]been able to help Robin kill himself.

Provided he could find a willing doctor.[/b]
All Robin would have to do is sue him if state assisted suicide was allowed by law.

g

Moves
24 Aug 14
1 edit

But everyone knew that Robin had his "demons". In other words, mentally he could have been suffering much like a cancer patient with severe physical pain.

So who is to blow the "suffering" alarm and put a pillow over his face if he requests it?
He may have been, but it's possible he can battle through those demons because that is mental, maybe even classified as a disease, to be put out of misery, you have to have a pretty serious condition where there is no hope, even if he couldn't overcome those demons there's hope there. There's certain scenarios where there isn't a hope and the suffering with nothing left to do is miniscule.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Aug 14

So being a doctor qualified you on knowing when a life is no longer worth living?
It potentially qualifies someone to judge whether or not someone is capable of making the decision to end their life.

K

Germany

Moves
24 Aug 14

Originally posted by DeepThought
My problem with euthanasia is that it could become compulsory.
So far, that fear has been unfounded. I don't see how voters would put up with such a thing, anyway, so in any effective democracy this seems like clumsy paranoia rather than genuine criticism.

g

Moves
24 Aug 14

Have it your way.

So when should euthanasia be implemented? When should assisted suicide be chosen?

Should we set up a death panel to assess the situation? Would you like to be on it?
assisted suicide? give me a break. You answer the question? if a person is suffering beyond what we would say is repairable besides a substance abuse problem, no matter how dark and deep it is it's possibly repairable, alot is repairable, but when a disease breaks down a body to such an extent and we relieve the pain and suffering your term for it is assisted suicide?

g

Moves
24 Aug 14
3 edits

And I don't even know why We're saying Robin anymore, but say a human, has early stages of parkinsons, then heck no that's no reason to end his life, whether he makes the decision or anyone else, there's drastic situations where that takes place and just because you are inflicted with a disease and your life is crippled doesn't mean throw in the towel. Or it is suicide.

g

Moves
24 Aug 14
1 edit

And like I said before, you can make it a topic of debate, but when you are in that position, and you've watched a loved one in a coma shattered, that's when your post means something. And I don't wish that on anyone.