Run government like a business??

Run government like a business??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
03 Nov 09

Considering that more than 50% of private companies go bankrupt, why do people insist that private companies are better at running things than governments?

Seems the facts are at odds with peoples beliefs.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by uzless
Considering that more than 50% of private companies go bankrupt, why do people insist that private companies are better at running things than governments?

Because they're elitists who despise both democracy and the common man.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
03 Nov 09

Governments face a very different problem than private companies. In terms of solvency, they have a huge leg up on the private sector. Imagine a firm that could raise equity simply by either forcing people under threat of prison to invest a larger stake (analagous to taxation) or by creating the equity out thin air which all else equal reduces the value of outstanding shares (analagous to printing currency = seignorage = inflation tax).

If a company had that sort of power, I think it would almost never go bankrupt either. Of course, the rest of the markets ability to incentive this super company to work efficiently would be greatly reduced as well, which is why people criticize the government's ability to produce things efficiently.

M

Moves
03 Nov 09

The point is that in the private sector, a badly run business will soon fail and disappear. That continual possibility of failure is what keeps businesses on their toes, always looking for ways to become more efficient, or more responsive to consumers. But government entities (like businesses with a monopoly position) don't have to worry about dealing with any "competition". They don't have to make a profit every year -- so no matter how badly they're run, they can remain in place and usually get larger.

The challenge is to find ways to run government like one of those (relatively small number) of well-run businesses that don't fail.

silicon valley

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes
The point is that in the private sector, a badly run business will soon fail and disappear. That continual possibility of failure is what keeps businesses on their toes, always looking for ways to become more efficient, or more responsive to consumers. But government entities (like businesses with a monopoly position) don't have to worry about dealing wit ...[text shortened]... rnment like one of those (relatively small number) of well-run businesses that don't fail.
TARP!

M

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by zeeblebot
TARP!
do you have something specific you'd like to say regarding TARP?

w

Moves
03 Nov 09
4 edits

I think the point here is that Big Business is what runs the government. Now say thank you mam may I have another and get out your check books!! 😠

I think the conservative side of the political spectrum finally gets it. They see that there is very litle distinction between large corporate america and Big Brother. Neither has to balance their books because they are the task master and can bail out corporations who are "too big to fail", like GM and AIG and Freddy Mac and Fanny Mae, and can continue to run their business with impunity into the ground while Big Brother can simply use your tax money to bail them out and raise your taxes and print money etc. The fix is in and it comes from both parties. Now what are we going to do about it?

Having said that, the left is a little slower to this realization simply because the Dems are running the show. I think the same would be said of the conservatives if the Rhinos were running the show. Its time to awaken and rid ourselves of partisan politics that are basically headed in the same direction and finally stand up for the average Joe.

g

Pepperland

Moves
03 Nov 09

Considering that more than 50% of private companies go bankrupt
1.says who?
2. even if that is true, it still means that 50% of companies do just fine.

what people?

g

Pepperland

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Because they're elitists who despise both democracy and the common man.
as usual you come up with these nonsensial attacks on capitalism.

what does democracy have to do with anything?
as for the "common man", I don't know what you're reffering to.

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by whodey
I think the point here is that Big Business is what runs the government. Now say thank you mam may I have another and get out your check books!! 😠

I think the conservative side of the political spectrum finally gets it. They see that there is very litle distinction between large corporate america and Big Brother. Neither has to balance their books bec ...[text shortened]... tics that are basically headed in the same direction and finally stand up for the average Joe.
So, you're advocating communism?

Hy-Brasil

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
as usual you come up with these nonsensial attacks on capitalism.

what does democracy have to do with anything?
as for the "common man", I don't know what you're reffering to.
he is a frick'en commie reaping the rewards and benefits of capitalism as he bashes it.

g

Pepperland

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
he is a frick'en commie reaping the rewards and benefits of capitalism as he bashes it.
I wonder if he'd think the same if he actually lived in a communist country.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
03 Nov 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
I wonder if he'd think the same if he actually lived in a communist country.
I doubt it. This punk and several others here flying U.S. flags spout commie rhetoric as if it is some new great idea they just stumbled upon.I was killing commies for mommy long before they ever heard of the communist manifesto! They ought to pack up and move to China. Bunch of losers.

M

Moves
03 Nov 09
3 edits

Originally posted by whodey

I think the conservative side of the political spectrum finally gets it. They see that there is very litle distinction between large corporate america and Big Brother. Neither has to balance their books bec tics that are basically headed in the same direction and finally stand up for the average Joe.
Its time to awaken and rid ourselves of partisan politics that are basically headed in the same direction and finally stand up for the average Joe.

The problem is that the average Joe is a dunce. He insists on having twice the food for half the price. The Democrats are the "twice the food party" and the Republicans are the "half the price" party -- but in reality they're both trying to cater to Joe's moronic demands.

A case in point is the New Jersey governor's race. The main issue involves the property taxes (too high) and spending on poor school districts (too high, or at least way too wasteful), and the state's budget is in really bad shape. But the main candidates both look like Santa Claus - Corzine has the facial hair and Christie has the body build. And like dear old Santa, they've both promised that there'll be lots of goodies under the tree for clueless Joe. But there's a third candidate. His name is Daggett. He kind of looks like Scrooge. He's actually made proposals that include some higher taxes and some reduced spending. But it appears that 85% of the Joes are going to be choosing one of the Santas.

Santa's always a lot more fun than Scrooge. But can we afford him?

silicon valley

Moves
03 Nov 09

someone with a Latin username shouldn't need me to spell it out.