Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10111
    14 Mar '18 17:472 edits
    Originally posted by @mghrn55

    As to the abortion issue, the topic is complex enough (when does life begin)
    without the Bible punchers intruding into the debate and adding the idiot element to it.
    Leave that to the philosophers and scientists to debate the issue.
    Or the elite, as you so fondly like to call them.
    I reckon we will let the philosophers and scientists continue to make us believe in the birth fairy. For it only when the fetus passes out of the womb that they magically become human once the birth fairy waves her magic secular humanist wand over them to make them human! 😵
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    139033
    14 Mar '18 18:44
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I reckon we will let the philosophers and scientists continue to make us believe in the birth fairy. For it only when the fetus passes out of the womb that they magically become human once the birth fairy waves her magic secular humanist wand over them to make them human! 😵
    I have already granted that this is the object of the debate.
    And there is no clear answer.

    The fault line is as usual in the middle but the fiercest battles are being fought at the extremes.
    Those of religious faith vs the feminists.

    There is a no thought to the logistics in the middle.
    How do we define when life actually begins ?
    What should the date on my birth certificate be ?
    Amongst many other questions out there.
    This is a topic for science and philosophy.
    The motivation for taking one position or the other have nothing to do with answering the question.

    If I push the extreme sides of the debate, I can flush out the emotional reasons for any position taken.
    For the anti-abortion, it will be morality.
    Someone will wave a Bible in my face.
    Sex is for procreation only.
    Women's place is in the kitchen.
    Etc, etc, etc ...

    On the other side, the arguments will be.
    Keep your hands off women's bodies, etc, etc ...

    The argument will always be about morality and religion pitted against personal freedoms.

    If I ask you when you think life begins, I would bet you couldn't give me an intelligent answer.

    I know I couldn't answer the question.
    Or at least I won't.
    And I know dinosaurs didn't walk the earth 4000 years ago.
    And someone didn't manage to load every species of mammals onto a boat less than half the size of the Titanic.
    And that every species of mammal just happened to be within 10 miles of that boat. 😀
    Ok, I'm just being facetious and funny.

    But I know that you are not debating.
    You are preaching.
    We are evolving and that frightens a lot of you.

    And I will continue to maintain that humanity should not be led by people who are frightened of humanity.
    Just my opinion.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10111
    14 Mar '18 19:00
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    I have already granted that this is the object of the debate.
    And there is no clear answer.

    The fault line is as usual in the middle but the fiercest battles are being fought at the extremes.
    Those of religious faith vs the feminists.

    There is a no thought to the logistics in the middle.
    How do we define when life actually begins ?
    What should the ...[text shortened]... tain that humanity should not be led by people who are frightened of humanity.
    Just my opinion.
    No, I never once mentioned the word God or Bible, did I?

    I'm merely questioning the humanity of abortionists. It's about life and death and the value we place on life.

    Naturally, you choose to move the debate to the realm of religion so that you can glibly dismiss it, while being a condescending jerk in the process.

    Kudos! Well done.
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22657
    14 Mar '18 19:05
    So much hypocrisy! It seems almost deliberately overwhelming in order to obfuscate itself. 😠
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10111
    14 Mar '18 19:141 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    So much hypocrisy! It seems almost deliberately overwhelming in order to obfuscate itself. 😠
    It will all be OK.

    Jesus loves you. 😵
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    8848
    14 Mar '18 19:19
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Using derogatory nicknames for countries demonstrates all the intellectual maturity of an Onion article.

    https://www.theonion.com/man-has-derogatory-nickname-for-every-neighboring-town-1819566758
    I guess he doesn't understand the irony that as a Dutchman, his country could have all sorts of odd nicknames, most worse than "Fatland". Hashland and Hoeland come to mind.
  7. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    22657
    14 Mar '18 19:30
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Jesus loves you. 😵
    Thank you.

    So does Mithra
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    139033
    14 Mar '18 19:36
    Originally posted by @whodey
    No, I never once mentioned the word God or Bible, did I?

    I'm merely questioning the humanity of abortionists. It's about life and death and the value we place on life.

    Naturally, you choose to move the debate to the realm of religion so that you can glibly dismiss it, while being a condescending jerk in the process.

    Kudos! Well done.
    When you question the humanity of abortionists, it means you have already decided on the start point of life.

    So .... How did you arrive at that point ?
    Did you have a logical thought process ?
    Or did something else drive you ?
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    14 Mar '18 19:37
    Originally posted by @whodey
    No, I never once mentioned the word God or Bible, did I?

    I'm merely questioning the humanity of abortionists. It's about life and death and the value we place on life.

    Naturally, you choose to move the debate to the realm of religion so that you can glibly dismiss it, while being a condescending jerk in the process.

    Kudos! Well done.
    No, it isn't "about life...", you dirty liar.

    You're against abortion because your dumb bible tells you so. Once the baby has been born your only concerns are "I won't have to pay for it, right?" and "It had better not grow up to become a politician and take muh guns away!"
  10. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    139033
    14 Mar '18 20:38
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    No, it isn't "about life...", you dirty liar.

    You're against abortion because your dumb bible tells you so. Once the baby has been born your only concerns are "I won't have to pay for it, right?" and "It had better not grow up to become a politician and take muh guns away!"
    Or even worse, that baby could grow up to be a liberal. 😲
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14639
    14 Mar '18 21:00
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    I guess he doesn't understand the irony that as a Dutchman, his country could have all sorts of odd nicknames, most worse than "Fatland". Hashland and Hoeland come to mind.
    Neither Hashland nor Hoeland sound like particularly bad nicknames to me. I like them.

    We prefer to call ourselves Cheeseheads.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7429
    14 Mar '18 21:27
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    I guess he doesn't understand the irony that as a Dutchman, his country could have all sorts of odd nicknames, most worse than "Fatland". Hashland and Hoeland come to mind.
    To an English tourist, maybe. Perhaps if you dumbf*&^s bothered to look beyond the stupidest parts of Amsterdam, you wouldn't look so foolish.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7429
    14 Mar '18 21:29
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    You're against abortion because your dumb bible tells you so.
    Wrong. He's against abortion because both of you are dumb enough to believe that the Bible, a lot wiser than either of you, tells him so. Both of you are wrong in this belief.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10111
    14 Mar '18 22:24
    Originally posted by @mghrn55
    When you question the humanity of abortionists, it means you have already decided on the start point of life.

    So .... How did you arrive at that point ?
    Did you have a logical thought process ?
    Or did something else drive you ?
    An unborn infant is human.

    At least, they seem to come out that way 99.9% of the time.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10111
    14 Mar '18 22:301 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    No, it isn't "about life...", you dirty liar.

    You're against abortion because your dumb bible tells you so. Once the baby has been born your only concerns are "I won't have to pay for it, right?" and "It had better not grow up to become a politician and take muh guns away!"
    I know of atheists who oppose abortion, so you are wrong, it is not just an issue about religion.

    I don't know too many people who desire an abortion. Usually it is because they feel as though they can't afford the child or care for the child. Abortion is not ideal, it is a surgical procedure unlike a face lift to make yourself feel better about yourself.

    Then again, I never met your mama.

    As for my dumb Bible, it would seem that it has a tad fewer adherents than your mindless hate filled rants.
Back to Top