Should Parents be Limited to 1 child for the Planets' sake

Should Parents be Limited to 1 child for the Planets' sake

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 Jan 10

Originally posted by ich binimKopfweg
Education has been tried, tested and in this instance failed.
Failed? Not so. Rising levels of education - including vocational skills - have a clear impact on fertility. Birth rates all around the world have been falling without the enactment of laws limiting the number of children. You come across like an ideologue.

SR

Moves
26 Jan 10

Originally posted by FMF
Failed? Not so. Rising levels of education - including vocational skills - have a clear impact on fertility. Birth rates all around the world have been falling without the enactment of laws limiting the number of children. You come across like an ideologue.
Falling in Africa?

K

Germany

Moves
26 Jan 10

Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
Falling in Africa?
In most countries, yes.

F

Moves
26 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
Falling in Africa?
Some relevant factoids. During the 1990s fertility rates decreased throughout much of sub-Saharan Africa, especially in urban areas. There are, broadly speaking, four causes, all linked to urbanization: declining infant and child mortality, higher educational levels, delayed marriage or cohabitation, and increased use of contraceptives. South Africa's birth rate has been halved in the last 40 years. In the 1970s only 24 countries had fertility rates of 2.1 or less, all of them rich. Now there are over 70 such countries, and in every continent, including Africa. Between 1950 and 2000 the average fertility rate in developing countries fell by half from six to three—three fewer children in each family in just 50 years. While Africa is somewhat lagging in terms of these trends, the trends are there nevertheless. What's your take on African fertility rates then?

g

Pepperland

Moves
26 Jan 10

Which a lot of people, as I've already said, don't have.
well, then they'll suffer the consequences, but still, Im totally against the one child policy.

If people want to live in poverty they should be able to.

Knight

h8

Moves
27 Jan 10

I quite like this topic 🙂

I personally think people should be limited, there really just isn't room for more.
No need to impose limits, give them a decent life, a decent life expectancy, a decent quality of life and growth will stop.
Watch this, its 5 mins well spend,
http://www.gapminder.org/videos/what-stops-population-growth/