Should Parents be Limited to 1 child for the Planets' sake

Should Parents be Limited to 1 child for the Planets' sake

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by Hugh Glass
I'm sorry, you're missing a valuable part of life.
well there we go

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
The planet does not have any interests. The planet doesn't care about the planet.

Therefore, there is no planet's sake.

Therefore, no.
Wow, perhaps that's what G8 has been missing all these years.....and Greenpeace.
It's a revelation!

K

Germany

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by ich binimKopfweg
Wow, perhaps that's what G8 has been missing all these years.....and Greenpeace.
It's a revelation!
Indeed!

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
Indeed!
Most definitely!

🙂

r

Moves
25 Jan 10

i think gay people should be limited to one foo-foo dog and only three cable channels for tv

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by reinfeld
i think gay people should be limited to one foo-foo dog and only three cable channels for tv
ok, I'll check for you and see if people agree!

😀

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
25 Jan 10
1 edit

To the degree that the "planet's sake" is our sake or perhaps better each of our sakes and to the extent that individuals fail to internalize the costs that their behavior imposes on everyone (say by having another kid) then limiting or discouraging additional children could be justified.

Of course, as scarcity increases prices should rise, making the costs of childrearing greater. The question would be if the price under this system would be the correct one in terms of aligning individuals' incentives with those of our society.

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by telerion
To the degree that the "planet's sake" is our sake or perhaps better each of our sakes and to the extent that individuals fail to internalize the costs that their behavior imposes on everyone (say by having another kid) then limiting or discouraging additional children could be justified.

Of course, as scarcity increases prices should rise, making the c ...[text shortened]... d be the correct one in terms of aligning individuals' incentives with those of our society.
The perfect answer.

😀

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
i'm on the boundary between the apartment people and the people in the expensive houses.
Oh, I get it. You're too important to live in the Grand Canyon. But all those other people? They're not as good as you right?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by FMF
Of course it is. As is prosperity. And financial security. Birth rates have been falling rapidly in the developing world. The Malthusian doom stories of the 1970s now seem clearly overblown. The only country that tried to legislate how many children people can have - China - probably didn't need to.
I agree!

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I agree!
How? China was barely feeding itself - of course it needed to!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jan 10

How? China was barely feeding itself - of course it needed to!
And now they have a huge surplus of boys and a tradition of infanticide.

ib

Moves
25 Jan 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
And now they have a huge surplus of boys and a tradition of infanticide.
oh well then I suppose allowing the people to churn out more and more kids, watching them starve is not nearly as bad as having a copious amount of males?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
25 Jan 10

oh well then I suppose allowing the people to churn out more and more kids, watching them starve is not nearly as bad as having a copious amount of males?
Government policies that encourage infanticide are worse than allowing people to breed as they choose.

K

Germany

Moves
26 Jan 10

Originally posted by telerion

Of course, as scarcity increases prices should rise, making the c ...[text shortened]... d be the correct one in terms of aligning individuals' incentives with those of our society.
You're getting to the core of the issue here. When people say things like "save the planet!" they really mean "save the living environment of humans!". But that sounds a lot less important, doesn't it?