Spanish Minister Calls for Diplomatic Relations with Israel to be Severed

Spanish Minister Calls for Diplomatic Relations with Israel to be Severed

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
181d
2 edits

@kevcvs57 said
You do that ATY and in future check with me first, it’ll save a lot of typing

“Crimea?
The first settled occupation of Crimea was perhaps by the Cimmerians about 1000 bce. In the 7th century bce the Scythians conquered the steppe area, but the Bosporan kingdom survived in the Kerch Peninsula, where it came under strong Greek influence.”
13 Sept 2023”

Got this by simp ...[text shortened]... pre Greek settlement for hundreds and probably thousands of years prior to the arrival of the Greeks
Possibly? That’s persuasive.

Next time cite your source.

What evidence is the Encyclopedia Britannica using to determine that the Cimmerians were “possibly” in Crimea?

What evidence do you have that the Cimmerians were not Greek ancestors? I already pointed out that the Indo European ancestors (also known as Scythians*) of the Greeks were in the area since 5000 BC.

*From the Scottish Declaration of Arbroath:

…because among the other great nations of course, our nation of Scots has been described in many publications -- that crossing from Greater Scythia

What settlements did the nomadic, non-settled Cimmerians “possibly” build?

The Encyclopedia Brittanica entry on Cimmerians does not mention any Cimmerian settlements in Crimea which makes the article you quoted highly suspect.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Cimmerian

Your quoted article is vague and inconsistent and I cannot find any evidence for the claim you quoted.

I’m not impressed.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
181d

https://www.britannica.com/place/Kerch

From the Enciclopedia Britannica:

Kerch, city and seaport, Crimea republic, southern Ukraine, on the western shore of the Strait of Kerch at the head of a small bay. Founded in the 6th century BC by Miletan Greeks, it flourished as a trading centre, and in the 5th century it became the capital of the kingdom of the Cimmerian Bosporus.

Considering that your chosen Encyclopedia states that the Greeks founded the capitol city of the Cimmerian Bosporus I cannot see where you got the idea that Cimmerians were distinct from the Greeks’ Indo European ancestors.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
181d
3 edits

https://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsEurope/BarbarianCimmerians.htm

Although the Cimmerians cannot specifically be located anywhere prior to their appearance in Anatolia, it is generally agreed that they originated on Europe's Pontic-Caspian steppe (to the north of the Black Sea and Caspian Sea). This region had long been a breeding ground for pastoral horse-borne warrior groups, ever since the Yamnaya horizon of the mid-fourth millennium BC saw the sudden expansion and migration of Indo-European tribes (specifically West Indo-Europeans

West Indo Europeans go back to the fourth Millenium BC according to this source and the Cimmerians were just one of many Indo European groups in the area who evolved into the Greek people.

Your argument is equivalent to saying the Danish people are not indigenous to Denmark because the Germanic people were there first, or that the Welsh Britons are not indigenous to Britain because the Celts were there first.

w

Moves
181d

@athousandyoung said
[quote] https://www.historyfiles.co.uk/KingListsEurope/BarbarianCimmerians.htm

Although the Cimmerians cannot specifically be located anywhere prior to their appearance in Anatolia, it is generally agreed that they originated on Europe's Pontic-Caspian steppe (to the north of the Black Sea and Caspian Sea). This region had long been a breeding ground for past ...[text shortened]... e first, or that the Welsh Britons are not indigenous to Britain because the Celts were there first.
The invertebrates were there first.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
181d

@wildgrass said
The invertebrates were there first.
Greeks descended from invertebrates