Moves
    18 Mar '16 01:171 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 01:19
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Here again you keep saying you aren't defending it then you turn right around and do.
    You seem to be crazy.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 01:271 edit

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 01:461 edit
    Yeah he is responsible for his actions.
    He should have been fined like 50 dollars or something, not 15 years at hard labor.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 02:301 edit

6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 02:31
    Hmmm, I wonder what the Sudan is like this time of year..........
  7. Germany
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 07:35
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    15 years for stealing a banner worth a maybe a dollar or two?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMSF18gz9KI
    Anyone that goes to North Korea to be cool deserves what they get.
    Another liberal college student that will come back loving the west and capitalism.
    When he's almost 40.
    Would you then say that a Trump supporter who goes to a rally and gets into a brawl with a protester had it coming?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 08:47
    Why do you think Otto Warmbier said what he did in his confession? What would you rate the plausibility of the tale that a fellow American offered him a car to steal a banner?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 08:50
    So stealing a banner worth a few cents and getting 15 years at hard labor doesn't sound reprehensible to you?
    Words fail me. You really do suck at thinking.
    I believe that burning the US flag (despite it only being worth a few cents) is frowned upon in the US.
    I believe you can get up to a year in jail for doing so:
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

The issue is not the monetary value to manufacture the item in question.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 09:11
    15 years for stealing a banner worth a maybe a dollar or two?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMSF18gz9KI
    Anyone that goes to North Korea to be cool deserves what they get.
    Another liberal college student that will come back loving the west and capitalism.
    When he's almost 40.
    no.
    no sympathy. people bloody know it's north korea. north koreans know it's north korea. they behave accordingly. i have sympathy for the north korean who gets sent to prison because a relative of his managed to defect to the south.

this guy was an entitled douche thinking bad things can't happen to him. fuk that guy.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 09:13
    Yeah he is responsible for his actions.
    He should have been fined like 50 dollars or something, not 15 years at hard labor.
    yes, someone jumping in a lion den to poke the lions doesn't "deserve" to be eaten. he deserves to be fined. yet he still is the douche that went in a lion's den, clearly marked "North Koreea". he doesn't deserve any sympathy.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 11:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I believe that burning the US flag (despite it only being worth a few cents) is frowned upon in the US.
    I believe you can get up to a year in jail for doing so:
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/700

The issue is not the monetary value to manufacture the item in question.
    With all the protests, etc. where the American flag has been burned or dragged through the dirt, stomped on and desecrated, when was the last time you ever heard of anyone actually going to jail for doing it?
    Even if you can find one, trying to take a political banner home is hardly the same thing, is it?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 12:09
    With all the protests, etc. where the American flag has been burned or dragged through the dirt, stomped on and desecrated, when was the last time you ever heard of anyone actually going to jail for doing it?
    How is that relevant? There is clearly a law that says you can go to jail for doing it.

Even if you can find one, trying to take a political banner home is hardly the same thing, is it?
    No, its much worse. Clearly the laws in North Korea say that stealing a political banner is a really bad thing to do.

I think the US laws about the flag are really stupid. But I would not be stupid enough to come to the US and start burning flags.
    I think the North Korean laws about stealing political banners are stupid, but I would not go to North Korea and try to steal one.
    I can also list many other stupid US laws for which people have gone to jail.

May I also suggest you try this: go into gangland territory in the US and try holding up a sign that says something insulting to the gangs. It won't even be stealing.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 12:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How is that relevant? There is clearly a law that says you can go to jail for doing it.

it's relevant because it doesn't happen and you were the one that brought it up
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 14:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm a little surprised at the hostility towards Warmbier; after all, he was a tourist on a 5 day trip not a defector. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-student-arrest-idUSKCN0V1063

He also seems to have been singled out for particularly harsh punishment because he was a US citizen and was allegedly forced to confess to US government inv ...[text shortened]... n countries.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/16/asia/north-korea-warmbier-sentenced/index.html
    Of course his sentence was insane and a violation of his rights. And I suppose the government should negotiate for his release. But what's he doing going to NK in the first place? And, sophomoric or not, trying to rip off a souvenir for the folks back home to gawk at was a monumentally stupid thing to do.

Well, anyway, I suppose he'll have learned his lesson even if they do bring him home.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree