Taxation without representation

Taxation without representation

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
19 Apr 16

Should those who pay taxes be the only ones who vote?

If not, then it seems to me that those being taxed are being taxed without adequate representation.

It is really no different than people in a distant land being able to vote in order to raise the taxes of those who actually pay taxes.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by whodey
No.

Any more stupid questions?

w

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
No.

How are those being taxed represented?

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

How are those being taxed represented?
By representatives.

w

Moves
19 Apr 16

By representatives.
So long as the so called representatives can oppress a certain segment of society simply because they are a minority. So the minority has no representation.

w

Moves
19 Apr 16

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could elect their own representative?

Just think, everyone would get their own representation.

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
19 Apr 16

People drawing welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote until they get off it, otherwise they'll vote for whoever is promising them more public assistance.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

So long as the so called representatives can oppress a certain segment of society simply because they are a minority. So the minority has no representation.
The "minority" can vote just like the "majority" can. Do you feel "oppressed" by your elected representatives, whodey? If so, in what way precisely?

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by FishHead111
People drawing welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote until they get off it, otherwise they'll vote for whoever is promising them more public assistance.
By that logic, do you think military personnel should not be allowed to vote because they might vote for higher military funding?

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
19 Apr 16

If not, then it seems to me that those being taxed are being taxed without adequate representation.

It is really no different than people in a distant land being able to vote in order to raise the taxes of those who actually pay taxes.
I've floated this one before whodey, your vote should be weighted by how much tax you pay, so beneficiaries and goobermint bureaurats (but I repeat myself, haw haw) don't get to vote, rich folk vote to reduce there taxes but this in effect reduces their voting power, it is a self leveling.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
19 Apr 16

No.

That "stupid question" was a matter of hearty debate by our founders. It wasn't dismissed so easily.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
19 Apr 16

By that logic, do you think military personnel should not be allowed to vote because they might vote for higher military funding?
Seems that a valid conflict of interests exists there.

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by Wajoma
I've floated this one before whodey, your vote should be weighted by how much tax you pay, so beneficiaries and goobermint bureaurats (but I repeat myself, haw haw) don't get to vote, rich folk vote to reduce there taxes but this in effect reduces their voting power, it is a self leveling.
A brilliant idea, Wajoma. How many attoseconds of thought did you put into it?

How would you even measure how much taxes someone pays? How would you handle the incentives this gives government employees to obtain high gross incomes with high taxes? How would you deal with the angry mobs of retirees who just lost their vote because they decided, like the lazy freeloaders they are, to retire after 50 years of working?

K

Germany

Moves
19 Apr 16

Originally posted by normbenign
Seems that a valid conflict of interests exists there.
Good thing there is such a thing as "democracy" that, when working efficiently, balances the various interests and conflicts between them in a society and manages to find a compromise between them.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
19 Apr 16

Good thing there is such a thing as "democracy" that, when working efficiently, balances the various interests and conflicts between them in a society and manages to find a compromise between them.
Unfortunately, democracy encourages building the biggest gang.