1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:17
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Some of us have to pay our own way through school.
    And that's the other Republican whining point. Pell Grants didn't get nixed.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Edit - Saw your edit.
    Your post and my edit crossed in the aether.

If KN's $75k figure was based on an individual, fine.

Most people have families though. And for a family, earning $75k is not a lot of money.

Let's discuss a family of 5. How much money should they be able to make before you'd consider them able to buy all the luxury goods they'd need?
  3. Germany
    Moves
    Originally posted by Ullr
    "$75,000 is still above average and more than enough to buy all the luxury goods one might need."

Not where I live (Massachusetts). If you've got just 1 or 2 sons or daughters planning on going to university $75,000 a year isn't going to cut it. Not even close.
    Obviously financial disincentives should be absent in choosing an education.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:18
    Edit - Saw your edit.
    Yes, sorry for not putting it under the "Edit" heading. It was such a short period of time that I didn't realize anyone would respond so quickly.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I favour tax credits based on the number of children in a family. If the US ever chooses to eradicate poverty birth rates will drop significantly and the population may start to shrink - you need to encourage the population to maintain a stable population.
    LOL. You do realize that most of the population growth in the US comes from people that pay the least amount of taxes and immigration. In other words a tax credit based on number of children will do them little good.

What do you propose? Castration?
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Let's discuss a family of 5. How much money should they be able to make before you'd consider them able to buy all the luxury goods they'd need?
    Still, almost 3/4 of American households make less than that. If that is not enough to get college education for, say, 2 kids then perhaps there's something wrong with the system.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Obviously financial disincentives should be absent in choosing an education.
    Ideally but that is not the case.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:20
    Yes, sorry for not putting it under the "Edit" heading. It was such a short period of time that I didn't realize anyone would respond so quickly.
    No worries.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:21
    Still, almost 3/4 of American households make less than that. If that is not enough to get college education for your kids then perhaps there's something wrong with the system.
    Yeah I would say there is something wrong with the system but taxing people that make $75,000 per year more than they already are won't help.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:21
    Ideally but that is not the case.
    Neither is my taxation proposition!
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:22
    Yeah I would say there is something wrong with the system but taxing people that make $75,000 per year more than they already are won't help.
    Taxation by itself solves nothing, it's what you do with it that MIGHT solve something.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:23
    LOL. You do realize that most of the population growth in the US comes from people that pay the least amount of taxes and immigration. In other words a tax credit based on number of children will do them little good.

What do you propose? Castration?
    No no no. I'm just saying that if you get rid of poverty lower income households will start to get far fewer children and too low birth rates may become an issue.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:23
    Still, almost 3/4 of American households make less than that. If that is not enough to get college education for, say, 2 kids then perhaps there's something wrong with the system.
    Pell grants and Stafford loans allow anyone who wants to to go to university. Sure they can't go to fancy private schools, but there are still plenty of options out there.

College is not the main point. Between mortgages, local taxes, food, utilities, transportation, etc., $75k is not a lot of money to raise a family, even forgetting about tuition.

I'm not saying you can't live on $75k. Obviously, you can. But these are not the people who are so "rich" that we need to increase their taxes.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:25
    Taxation by itself solves nothing, it's what you do with it that MIGHT solve something.
    MIGHT is not good enough. I'm not okay with my taxes being raised so that my government can occupy another foreign country. This is the reality we are dealing with. At this point in time, the way to fix our federal government is not to give them access to more revenue.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:25
    Pell grants and Stafford loans allow anyone who wants to to go to university. Sure they can't go to fancy private schools, but there are still plenty of options out there.

College is not the main point. Between mortgages, local taxes, food, utilities, transportation, etc., $75k is not a lot of money to raise a family, even forgetting about tuition.

I'm no ...[text shortened]... u can. But these are not the people who are so "rich" that we need to increase their taxes.
    I don't disagree.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree