1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:26
    Originally posted by Ullr
    MIGHT is not good enough. I'm not okay with my taxes being raised so that my government can occupy another foreign country. This is the reality we are dealing with. At this point in time, the way to fix our federal government is not to give them access to more revenue.
    That fixes nothing. Why isn't the solution making them spend it on things that people care about?
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:27
    Responsibility is a burden.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:34
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That fixes nothing. Why isn't the solution making them spend it on things that people care about?
    I only wish it were that simple.
  4. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:36
    When I made an inquiry regarding a vasectomy, I found out the County Health Department will do free vasectomies for the poor, but well off folks have to pay for it...problem is not too many of the poor take advantage of this. They would rather get women pregnant and abandon them.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:39
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I only wish it were that simple.
    I didn't say it was simple at all...
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    Pell grants and Stafford loans allow anyone who wants to to go to university. Sure they can't go to fancy private schools, but there are still plenty of options out there.

College is not the main point. Between mortgages, local taxes, food, utilities, transportation, etc., $75k is not a lot of money to raise a family, even forgetting about tuition.

I'm no ...[text shortened]... u can. But these are not the people who are so "rich" that we need to increase their taxes.
    Sure, only the poor need to make sacrifices. Can't have the upper middle class have their taxes raised to Clintonian levels, can we?
  7. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Because about 10 percent of the country doesn't want government spending on anything except the military and freeways. And right now that 10 percent runs the country.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sure, only the poor need to make sacrifices. Can't have the upper middle class have their taxes raised to Clintonian levels, can we?
    Or to Reagan levels? Apparently he's too liberal now.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:47
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Because about 10 percent of the country doesn't want government spending on anything except the military and freeways. And right now that 10 percent runs the country.
    I'm not sure the TP would approve of freeway spending .........................
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:48
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Or to Reagan levels? Apparently he's too liberal now.
    I didn't want to get TOO radical ..................................
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    First of all, who said anything about the poor making sacrifices? If you mean the spending cuts under the current budget compromise, that is separate from this particular issue of the tax cuts.

Second, I'm perfectly happy to see the entire Bush tax cut be repealed. Obviously, Obama is not as "progressive" as I am in this regard.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:021 edit
    First of all, who said anything about the poor making sacrifices? If you mean the spending cuts under the current budget compromise, that is separate from this particular issue of the tax cuts.

Second, I'm perfectly happy to see the entire Bush tax cut be repealed. Obviously, Obama is not as "progressive" as I am in this regard.
    Progressives voted against the Bush tax cuts in the first place. If conservatives had done so and voted as the progressives did regarding starting the Iraq war, the deficit would be far more manageable now (there'd be no "crisis" at all).

A good first step would be correcting both mistakes.

We both know that Obama hasn't governed as a "progressive" at all.
  13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:06
    I'm with Ullr on this one, you don't stop people from over spending by giving them more money. Until they actually come out with a budget, there shouldn't be anyone asking for more revenue.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:07
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I'm with Ullr on this one, you don't stop people from over spending by giving them more money. Until they actually come out with a budget, there shouldn't be anyone asking for more revenue.
    The US government doesn't spend that much compared to other rich Western nations. The problem is they spend their revenues poorly and they collect too little revenue.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:342 edits
    [b]I think that, though the Tea Party no doubt wanted greater spending cuts, this "compromise" is a clear win for the GOP.
    Well lets see. From my understanding they will cut about $7 billion in the first year, but when you consider they deficit spend about $4 billion per day that is only two days of savings.

They just raised the debt ceiling $2.5 trillion with no immediate of substantial cuts. You call this a win for the GOP? I call it time for a new party.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree