1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 20:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is because nuns are even more oppressed than Muslim women and are not allowed to go to the beach.
    I really do think that if this law is to be allowed it must be applied to nuns in equal measure and not just at the beach but in all public locations.
    How can nuns be oppressed when becoming a nun is a voluntary choice? Last time I checked a woman also has the choice to not be a nun. And if a nun feels oppressed by the rules she's agreed to abide by she can simply walk away from it. Do Muslim women have (without consequences) those same choices?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    They have not banned it on the premise that some find it offensive, they have banned it because, 'Beaches, like all public areas, must be protected from religious claims. The burkini is not a new range of swimwear, a fashion. It is the expression of a political project, a counter-society, based notably on the enslavement of women.'

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/806945/ban-on-islam-inspired-burkini-spreads-in-france
    That's an even worse rationale. Banning something because of the idea it expresses is reprehensible.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    It must be good going to the seaside wrapped up like it was winter .
    Logic in that ?
    What possible business is it of yours or anyone else's how other people want to dress?

If I want to wear my parka in July in Phoenix, then I can. Not because it makes sense, but because it's my right to dress however I like whether you think it's a good idea or not.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:12
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    How can nuns be oppressed when becoming a nun is a voluntary choice? Last time I checked a woman also has the choice to not be a nun. And if a nun feels oppressed by the rules she's agreed to abide by she can simply walk away from it. Do Muslim women have (without consequences) those same choices?
    They used to in France, but now they don't.
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    What possible business is it of yours or anyone else's how other people want to dress?

If I want to wear my parka in July in Phoenix, then I can. Not because it makes sense, but because it's my right to dress however I like whether you think it's a good idea or not.
    Wear your Parka in July in Phoenix , do you have have the saying " village idiot " in America ?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:291 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is because nuns are even more oppressed than Muslim women and are not allowed to go to the beach.
    I really do think that if this law is to be allowed it must be applied to nuns in equal measure and not just at the beach but in all public locations.
    Interesting I was doing only last week some work for two nuns who manage a rather extensive property, they did not seem the least bit oppressed to me but were rather cheery. Perhaps your experience has been different.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:341 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    That's an even worse rationale. Banning something because of the idea it expresses is reprehensible.
    Even if that idea is the oppression of women. What seems to me to be happening is that Muslims are expressing a religiosity in wearing this garb, a religiosity that is offensive because it means a women is not free to feel the warm sunshine and waves on her skin without fear of reproach. Even on a level of equality clearly there is a disparity for Muslim men are not required to attire themselves in the same fashion. These are simply values that are incompatible with French secularism. To reduce the argument to preventing someone from wearing what they want is to miss the point, its not about clothes, its about values.
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Interesting I was doing some work for two nuns who manage a rather extensive property, they did not seem the least bit oppressed to me but were rather cheery. Perhaps your experience has been different.
    Twit head ,must be thinking of the nun in the "blue's brother "film when Jake and Elroy come a " cropper " with the angry nun .
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I have not stated that they do feel oppressed by wearing a hijab, you are slobbering copious amounts of slobbery drool
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:501 edit
    Thankfully FIDE have banned cups that have a tendency to overflow! No man could subject his variations to falsification while such delectable delights of curvature were spilling out onto the chessboard! There would be more drool than one of your slobbery posts!

Now are you going to reduce the thread to your usual predictable and utterly banal caustic diatribe or can we expect that you might have an idea to express?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:52

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:55
    Again I have not stated that women who wear a hijab feel oppressed, repeating the same slobbery drool wont make it so.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 21:571 edit
    and I see that you have nothing but the usual caustic diatribe, how predictable, how unimaginative, how dull! why are you such a tiresome, tedious, crashing bore?
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 22:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    They used to in France, but now they don't.
    So what iyo may have changed between then and now that might account for such a draconian change in policy? Anything to come to mind, such as let's say, perhaps a dramatic increase in terrorist attacks? I know it's quite a stretch to connect these two totally unrelated things, i.e. policy changes in response to a rise in terrorism. But seeing as how you are skilled at disconnecting such dots what iyo are the real underlying reasons the French have resorted to such dastardly draconian measures?

The next thing you know those goofy French will start eyeballing (with unfounded suspicion and completely without cause) men entering jewelry stores wearing ski masks.
    Oh my goodness gracious! Whatever is this world coming to?!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree