The second defendant pleads guilty, Chesebro

The second defendant pleads guilty, Chesebro

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
199d

So Cohen is in court with trump…

Oh. Wait. That’s a different court case altogether?

Deary me, if ever there was fire where there is smoke… and there’s so much smoke, I can only guess that trump is an Australian bush fire.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
199d

@ponderable said
Question for the remaining group: At which point will the good deals end? So I would expect others to follow suit to avoid jail time.
You do realise what you're saying there. How reliable is information when you're threatening a person with jail, there's a very big incentive to lie, to do anything, to say anything to avoid jail.

Australia

Moves
199d

@wajoma said
You do realise what you're saying there. How reliable is information when you're threatening a person with jail, there's a very big incentive to lie, to do anything, to say anything to avoid jail.
Just like Trump does. And he's exceedingly good at it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
199d

@wajoma said
Especially if you are guilty. One might think that if one is not guilty, they would be looking forward to the chance to clear their name. A plea deal is generally taken by those who are guilty to avoid being found guilty and doing time.

I find it pretty disgusting that the bigmouth libertarian assumes there's some sort of railroading going on. Not so concerned about justice, are you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
199d

@kewpie said
Just like Trump does. And he's exceedingly good at it.
Unremarkably, he's spent about half his life in court. Either suing someone or being sued. He had a free ride free from the court carousel while president, that's what he wants again.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
199d

@shavixmir said
So Cohen is in court with trump…

Oh. Wait. That’s a different court case altogether?

Deary me, if ever there was fire where there is smoke… and there’s so much smoke, I can only guess that trump is an Australian bush fire.
The big news is that Mark Meadows, Trump's chief of staff, has accepted an immunity deal for his testimony. This is the one I've been hoping for.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
198d

@wajoma said
Hahaha

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
198d

@Wajoma
That testimony gets backed up with emails, corroborating testimony from others in the room when whatever was said was said and memo's written ATT and so forth. Any one testimony can be cross examined and maybe good lawyers can punch holes in said testimony but when there are 17 or so all saying basically the same thing, a jury would have no choice but to pronounce the defendant guilty,.

Über-Nerd

Moves
198d
1 edit

@wajoma said
Yup, like claiming the election was rigged.

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Über-Nerd

Moves
198d

@suzianne said
The big news is that Mark Meadows, Trump's chief of staff, has accepted an immunity deal for his testimony. This is the one I've been hoping for.
Does the name John Dean ring any bells here?

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
198d

@sonhouse said
@Wajoma
That testimony gets backed up with emails, corroborating testimony from others in the room when whatever was said was said and memo's written ATT and so forth. Any one testimony can be cross examined and maybe good lawyers can punch holes in said testimony but when there are 17 or so all saying basically the same thing, a jury would have no choice but to pronounce the defendant guilty,.
Then there's no need for a deal. Do you mean to say things can't be tipped one way or the other by sworn testimony that someone gives to avoid prison? is that what you're saying?

If that's the case then there should be no special favours.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
198d

@suzianne said
A plea deal is generally taken by those who are guilty to avoid being found guilty and doing time.
If they're guilty they should do the time.

There are plenty of situations where people can be 'bought' with the threat of force.

Haha, I like that 'generally' wadda cop out.

Über-Nerd

Moves
198d
1 edit

@wajoma said
Then there's no need for a deal. Do you mean to say things can't be tipped one way or the other by sworn testimony that someone gives to avoid prison? is that what you're saying?

If that's the case then there should be no special favours.
This how you get Mafia bosses -- you offer the lower-downs reduced sentences in exchange for their testimony. If necessary, you also offer them a new identity in another town to prevent the bosses from killing them in retaliation.

Standard procedure.

Die Cheeseburger

Provocation

Moves
198d

@suzianne said
Especially if you are guilty. One might think that if one is not guilty, they would be looking forward to the chance to clear their name. A plea deal is generally taken by those who are guilty to avoid being found guilty and doing time.

I find it pretty disgusting that the bigmouth libertarian assumes there's some sort of railroading going on. Not so concerned about justice, are you?
We should take a moment to really appreciate what screwball suzi said here:

"A plea deal is generally taken by those who are guilty to avoid being found guilty and doing time."

Either way it's a corruption, either an innocent person lies to avoid wrongful punishment, or as screwy suzi says here, a guilty person by some majic becomes not guilty.

The incentive is to lie.

Moves
198d

They're being threatened with prison unless they plead guilty and take a sweetheart deal to testify against Trump.
Yeah nothing fishy going on there.