The Trump Phenomenon

The Trump Phenomenon

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by whodey
What is funny is that the "R" word never sticks to Trump.

Ben Carson, who is black, was leading the GOP for a short time, So why was that? It was because he was an "outsider" like Trump.

So run along dims and continue to scream racism like you always do. People just don't care about PC anymore.

And it was bound to happen really. It was only a m ...[text shortened]... ally a dim in sheep's clothing. He probably won't be any different than Obama in many respects.
Unless he wins big--- as in YUGE--- his presidency will suffer the same fate as Jimmy Carter: a moral victory for those supporting anti-Washington but ultimately a set back owing to the intransigence of the insiders who refused to work with him.
If Trump is able to sweep a few dozen or more parrots into office on his coattails, he'll have a small chance of enacting the changes promised.
Otherwise, he'd have to resort to referendum on everything.
Were the second scenario played out, he'd have a much more impacting second term: the Congress would be bounced in favor of the new Republican party.
Either you're with him, or you're against freedom... or something along those lines.

w

Moves
07 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Unless he wins big--- as in YUGE--- his presidency will suffer the same fate as Jimmy Carter: a moral victory for those supporting anti-Washington but ultimately a set back owing to the intransigence of the insiders who refused to work with him.
If Trump is able to sweep a few dozen or more parrots into office on his coattails, he'll have a small chance ...[text shortened]... an party.
Either you're with him, or you're against freedom... or something along those lines.
I see Trump just doing as he pleases and daring anyone to stop him.

Those before him have paved the way.

F

Cobra Command HQ

Moves
07 Jun 16
1 edit

Trump got the nomination because as bad as he is, the other Republican candidates were worse.
Look at Hillary for God's sake, she's awful, but she's the best the Dems have got.
This presidential election is a sad commentary on American politics, all of the candidates put up by both parties sucked.
Like choosing which toilet you want to drink out of.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
07 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by sh76
I've spent some thought on trying to figure out what's drawn people to a charlatan like Trump and what may propel him to the oval office if the economy goes in the toilet, which is looking more possible (though not probable). I'll admit that I haven't quite been able to wrap my mind around it yet. I see Trump as a loudmouthed fool who doesn't have the temperame ...[text shortened]... just have a visceral reaction that sympathizes with the guy who is standing up to the PC "man."
Here's a good read. It's not a direct answer to your question, but it places the Trump phenomenon within the wider context of a rise in nationalism (not racism, not fascism) here and in Europe. I daresay you'll find it more interesting than KN calling everyone a racist.

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/nationalism-is-rising-not-fascism/

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by FishHead111
Trump got the nomination because as bad as he is, the other Republican candidates were worse.
Look at Hillary for God's sake, she's awful, but she's the best the Dems have got.
This presidential election is a sad commentary on American politics, all of the candidates put up by both parties sucked.
Like choosing which toilet you want to drink out of.
Agreed on a few of those points.
However, the system is so laden with entrenched corruption it would take a revolution to get close to anything remotely like it's original stated purpose.
When someone outside the system makes a stand, the powers-that-be will do everything possible to marginalize and/or intimidate them from continuing the windmill operation, ala Ross Perot and etc.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by Sleepyguy
Here's a good read. It's not a direct answer to your question, but it places the Trump phenomenon within the wider context of a rise in nationalism (not racism, not fascism) here and in Europe. I daresay you'll find it more interesting than KN calling everyone a racist.

https://geopoliticalfutures.com/nationalism-is-rising-not-fascism/
It's interesting that today, many equate nationalism with fascism, or at least with something sinister.

I don't remember it always being that way.

I remember in middle school history class, one chapter in the textbook was called "The Rise of Nationalism" (1820s and 30s or so) and the next was "The Rise of Sectionalism." The former was the "good era" (alas, not for the Native Americans) and the latter was the "bad era" that led to the Civil War.

K

Germany

Moves
07 Jun 16

It's interesting that today, many equate nationalism with fascism, or at least with something sinister.
Not nearly many enough.

rain

Moves
07 Jun 16

I've spent some thought on trying to figure out what's drawn people to a charlatan like Trump and what may propel him to the oval office if the economy goes in the toilet, which is looking more possible (though not probable). I'll admit that I haven't quite been able to wrap my mind around it yet. I see Trump as a loudmouthed fool who doesn't have the temperame ...[text shortened]... hat just elected Barack Obama twice would come close to electing a Trump strictly out of racism.
Liberals elected Obama, not "the country". If you look at the popular vote in both of his elections, isn't wasn't by wide margins. If conservatives had their way, Obama would not have been elected; and If conservatives have their way again, Trump will be in office.

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by vivify
Liberals elected Obama, not "the country". If you look at the popular vote in both of his elections, isn't wasn't by wide margins. If conservatives had their way, Obama would not have been elected; and If conservatives have their way again, Trump will be in office.
I disagree. If conservatives had their way Cruz would be in office. Conservatives have been railing against Trump.

rain

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
A big factor is that the GOP registered voters feel betrayed by the GOP itself. Trump is very clearly not under the control of Big Money.
All of this seems like nonsense in order to make excuses for why the Republicans would make such a profoundly stupid choice in Trump.

Why didn't they feel "betrayed" after the Bush administration? Ron Paul was also an "anti-establishment" candidate; yet, Republicans ignored him, and he ended up being far more popular with liberals. This is why I don't buy the whole "Trump is a radical change" excuse. Republicans had a FAR better and more intelligent candidate in Ron Paul, and look what happened.

Republicans need to stop inventing theories about why the GOP picked Trump (by wide margins), and just admit they do indeed have a culture of bigotry and anti-intelligence. After all...which party do you think Fishhead supports?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
07 Jun 16

If indeed "liberals" elected Obama, would not those same liberals reject Trump?

rain

Moves
07 Jun 16

Originally posted by Sleepyguy
I disagree. If conservatives had their way Cruz would be in office. Conservatives have been railing against Trump.
Are you trying to pull a whodey and claim liberals are responsible for Trump?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
07 Jun 16

All of this seems like nonsense in order to make excuses for why the Republicans would make such a profoundly stupid choice in Trump.

Why didn't they feel "betrayed" after the Bush administration? Ron Paul was also an "anti-establishment" candidate; yet, Republicans ignored him, and he ended up being far more popular with liberals. This is why I don't ...[text shortened]... lture of bigotry and anti-intelligence. After all...which party do you think Fishhead supports?
I smile about self congratulatory remarks. It is OK to believe you are right, and that other intelligent people believe otherwise. Those who think that all those disagreeing with them are fools are truly the fools.

rain

Moves
07 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by normbenign
I smile about self congratulatory remarks. It is OK to believe you are right, and that other intelligent people believe otherwise. Those who think that all those disagreeing with them are fools are truly the fools.
This isn't the case at all. I'm beyond dismayed that the liberal party didn't choose Sanders. Hillary is a horrible choice. All she has going for herself is that she's not as bad as Trump.

I'm simply pointing out that Republicans need to stop making excuses and just be honest about their party's mindset. The "anti-establishment" thing is BS., as evidenced by Ron Paul. Your party made a horrible choice, for horrible reasons. Deal with it.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
07 Jun 16

This isn't the case at all. I'm beyond dismayed that the liberal party didn't choose Sanders. Hillary is a horrible choice. All she has going for herself is that she's not as bad as Trump.

I'm simply pointing out that Republicans need to stop making excuses and just be honest about their party's mindset. The "anti-establishment" thing is BS., as evidenced by Ron Paul. Your party made a horrible choice, for horrible reasons. Deal with it.
I'm certain that there are millions on either side of the party divide who aren't going to see their guy on the ticket. I agree that Hillary is a horrible choice. I can't see how she is preferable to anyone. And I say that not being a big fan of the Donald.

I seriously believe that voters will be mostly voting against the opposition, not for their candidate. That's why campaigns are so completely negative.