1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 00:07
    I've spent some thought on trying to figure out what's drawn people to a charlatan like Trump and what may propel him to the oval office if the economy goes in the toilet, which is looking more possible (though not probable). I'll admit that I haven't quite been able to wrap my mind around it yet. I see Trump as a loudmouthed fool who doesn't have the temperament to be Ambassador to Luxembourg, let alone President of the United States.

I also don't buy trite cliches such as that Trump is simply riding a wave of racism. I find it almost implausible that a country that just elected Barack Obama twice would come close to electing a Trump strictly out of racism.

I did see a viral Facebook post last night originated by a San Francisco professor about how white supremacism is driving the Trump movement. I don't but it, but it got me thinking and so I'll just throw out an idea and see if the cat licks it up.

While a smaller group is actually racist, a much larger group of conservatives and moderate conservatives are sick of being called racist every time they criticize the welfare system or called sexist every time they oppose government enforced paid maternity leave or called homophobic for believing that a baker should not be forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple or accused of launching a war on women for being pro-life or racist for daring to express fear of radical Islam, etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps when a loudmouth like Trump gets up there and says "I'll say any stupid politically incorrect thing I damn well want and I don't give a damn what the Ivory tower elitists think of my attitudes and screw the PC police" these people just have a visceral reaction that sympathizes with the guy who is standing up to the PC "man."
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 00:26
    Trump is not hard to figure out and he is by no means a racist.

Trump only cares about one thing, money. Trump also knows how to sell himself, it's his life's blood.

Trump says outrageous things periodically to get free press. Poor Hillary would never get any if it were not for Bernie and her list of scandals.

Here is an example, Trump says global warming is a hoax in one breath while talking to the media but then builds a flood wall for his golf course in Ireland. Trump says what he things voters want to hear or to get free publicity. Trump also knows how to speak in a very simplistic way that a first grader can understand, and he knows how to invoke emotion.

Trump correctly pushed the emotional buttons on Americans to achieve his ends. I doubt he believes much of what he says or does. Trump can turn on you on a dime as he does time and again, depending on what he wants from you or fails to get from you.

In the end, nothing ever sticks to Trump. People are convinced that he is the "deal maker", which means the ends justify the means, which means no one will ever hold him to standard, just so long as they wind up with more money in their pocket in the end. This hope is what propels Trump to the White House.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 00:50
    A big factor is that the GOP registered voters feel betrayed by the GOP itself. Trump is very clearly not under the control of Big Money.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 01:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    A big factor is that the GOP registered voters feel betrayed by the GOP itself. Trump is very clearly not under the control of Big Money.
    People are simply sick of being lied to while they watch their standard of living go down the tubes.

Add to that the open door policy to immigration and what you wind up with is Trump.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 03:001 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I've spent some thought on trying to figure out what's drawn people to a charlatan like Trump and what may propel him to the oval office if the economy goes in the toilet, which is looking more possible (though not probable). I'll admit that I haven't quite been able to wrap my mind around it yet. I see Trump as a loudmouthed fool who doesn't have the temperame ...[text shortened]... just have a visceral reaction that sympathizes with the guy who is standing up to the PC "man."
    The thing that makes Donald Trump such a phenomenon is behind all his racist and sexist rantings are always a few grains of truth, not enough to make his statements truthful, but just enough to make one pause and think. Donald Trump is much like "The Force" in the original Star Wars. As Obi Wan Kenobi once said: "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded"

YouTube
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 04:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Germany
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 06:31
    I've spent some thought on trying to figure out what's drawn people to a charlatan like Trump and what may propel him to the oval office if the economy goes in the toilet, which is looking more possible (though not probable). I'll admit that I haven't quite been able to wrap my mind around it yet. I see Trump as a loudmouthed fool who doesn't have the temperame ...[text shortened]... just have a visceral reaction that sympathizes with the guy who is standing up to the PC "man."
    Trump won the primaries mainly because of winning a huge percentage of the racist vote. The field was fragmented, and he needed only overwhelming support from racists to win. Remember that turnout at primaries is always very low, so mobilizing a small but significant part of the electorate is enough.

In the general, Trump's primary voters (almost exclusively filthy racists and scumbags) will be joined by people who simply don't like Clinton. American politics is tribal and many people will vote for Trump simply because he is running on the Republican ticket.

Judging by the contributions on this forum, the people who are the most tired of being called "racist" are racists and few have the honesty to come out and admit it.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 07:251 edit
    Oddly enough, Trump lost the recent Republican primary in Puerto Rico to Marco Rubio (who dropped out over two months ago) by a margin of 74 to 14 percent.

EDIT: My bad; while the Democratic caucus in Puerto Rico was held over the weekend, the Republican primary there was held on March 6 when Rubio was still actively campaigning. Sorry for the error.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 07:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Trump won the primaries mainly because of winning a huge percentage of the racist vote. The field was fragmented, and he needed only overwhelming support from racists to win. Remember that turnout at primaries is always very low, so mobilizing a small but significant part of the electorate is enough.

In the general, Trump's primary voters (almost exc ...[text shortened]... st tired of being called "racist" are racists and few have the honesty to come out and admit it.
    Its quite interesting I was wondering the other day how much so called 'white' America has absorbed and made room for so called 'black' culture and wondered if it was reciprocal.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 10:091 edit

In the general, Trump's primary voters (almost exc ...[text shortened]... st tired of being called "racist" are racists and few have the honesty to come out and admit it.
    I can't speak for the racists, but I know for myself it gets tiresome to hear the r-word bandied about as though it's the unstampable double-stamp, no quitsies, argument settled.

To be sure, racism is still around.
    Likely always will be, given its track record in human history.
    But it's existence does not guarantee everyone so labeled is thus infected.
    Really, most people brandishing the various hate-based labels are doing so without discretion or even the slightest nod to the characteristics required of such a descriptor.
    In other words, it's a power struggle.
    If I can call you a [fill in the blank] before you can lob it at me, well, you're it!
    The uninformed use this tactic in the vacuum of any substance otherwise.
    The informed use the tactic as well, hoping to incite or sway others from honest evaluation or consideration.
    It's been used toward all candidates in some form or another.
    From what I've seen up to this point, the term racist cannot accurately be used to describe Trump.
    Whatever his idiosyncrasies otherwise, racism is def not a part of his character.
    Those wishing to paint him with that brush either fall silent or charge off to the next baseless smear when asked for examples to support the effort.
    But, hey: makes a good sound bite, right?
    Makes it sound like we're rolling our eyes with the rest of the 'better informed' people of the world, right?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 10:181 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I can't speak for the racists, but I know for myself it gets tiresome to hear the r-word bandied about as though it's the unstampable double-stamp, no quitsies, argument settled.

To be sure, racism is still around.
    Likely always will be, given its track record in human history.
    But it's existence does not guarantee everyone so labeled is thus infec ...[text shortened]... d like we're rolling our eyes with the rest of the 'better informed' people of the world, right?
    What is funny is that the "R" word never sticks to Trump.

Ben Carson, who is black, was leading the GOP for a short time, So why was that? It was because he was an "outsider" like Trump.

So run along dims and continue to scream racism like you always do. People just don't care about PC anymore.

And it was bound to happen really. It was only a matter of time before people grew weary of PC politicians who continue to lie to them.

What is sad, for me thou0gh, is that Trump is really a dim in sheep's clothing. He probably won't be any different than Obama in many respects.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 12:46
    I believe that Trump has support for two main reasons:
    (1) People are tired of being called a racist and their actual policy views completely ignored every time they oppose a policy supported by liberals (against racial preference in college admission) or sexist (for protection of those accused of rape)
    (2) People want a non-attorney/ non-politician/ outsider who will do things differently. It is no different than supporting Sanders who runs as an outsider, or Bill Clinton who wanted change.
    While Trump is relatively crude who talks the way people would talk to someone in a bar. He calls people out when he believes they are wrong, he does not worry that someone might be offended, he does not care blindly accept the status quo. While this does not appeal to me, I believe it appeals to many, especially those who feel that the government harps on issues that have no meaning to them.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 13:33

Well, I'm certainly not sexist and I'm not even necessarily pro-life, but I am sick and tired of hearing the phrase "war on women" applied to anyone who is.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 13:371 edit
    Well, I'm certainly not sexist and I'm not even necessarily pro-life, but I am sick and tired of hearing the phrase "war on women" applied to anyone who is.
    Yes, but why do you hate women?

Vote Hillary of feel the shame for your sexist bigoted views. 😛
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '16 13:41
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I believe that Trump has support for two main reasons:
    (1) People are tired of being called a racist and their actual policy views completely ignored every time they oppose a policy supported by liberals (against racial preference in college admission) or sexist (for protection of those accused of rape)
    (2) People want a non-attorney/ non-politician/ ou ...[text shortened]... any, especially those who feel that the government harps on issues that have no meaning to them.
    People see the decline of the country and want change.

It's just that simple.

That is what Hillary is up against. She only offers more of the same.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree