Tragedies in Two Schools

Tragedies in Two Schools

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houston, Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Today's Score

NRA -- 26
School Children -- 0

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

There are some problems that are insoluble. Perfecting security is one. An old joke is "I carry a gun, because cops are too heavy." It is obviously impractical to expect a personal police bodyguard for everyone, or even a cop for every school. Cops will tell you their job isn't protecting citizens. They respond to criminal complaints.

No societal, legal, governmental, or social action can make like risk-free, entirely safe. May I remind you that as bad as the killings of the school children in Connecticut are, that pales in comparison to the flaming scene at Mt. Carmel, near Waco, TX where near 80 innocents died at the hand of armed agents of our government. Not that long ago, 11 people died when our government fire bombed row houses in Philadelphia, PA belonging to MOVE activists.

These things happened in times when we enjoyed a relative freedom to own firearms, but with government attempting to demonize certain groups and take arms away from them. Dare we allow that to happen?

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

So there is an advantage to having two parents?

I favor the abolishing public education on entirely other grounds.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

That is probably correct, as very few mass shooters end their spree in any other manner than suicide. The theater shooter in Colorado is an exception, and he wore body armour as well.

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by normbenign
I favor the abolishing public education on entirely other grounds.
Fortunately the educated public disagrees.

D

Moves
15 Dec 12

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by kevcvs57
Is it time for people who advocate sensible gun control in the US to accept that the pro gun lobby is made up of retards and psycho's.

How much time do they waste trying to engage with these people that could be spent lobbying within the Democratic Party and or state institutions in order to obtain gun control when and where they can.

Three responses ...[text shortened]... ople to death, school your kids at home, and (yeah you guessed it) get more guns on the street.
What is "sensible gun control"?

I see lots of gun control already, but not much of it effective.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by Soothfast
You're pathetic to see.

What exactly were little kids at school supposed to do to "take responsibility for protecting themselves"? Or is it your idea that the teachers are all supposed to train to become crack shots and keep a rifle under every podium?

You're living in an NRA fantasy land.
Interesting to see moron lefties like you making judgements and creating strawmen. Nobody is suggesting the ideas you are planting, and you have no practical suggestion of your own. The only thing in your childish, inexperienced world is name calling.

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 12
2 edits

Interesting to see moron lefties like you making judgements and creating strawmen. Nobody is suggesting the ideas you are planting, and you have no practical suggestion of your own. The only thing in your childish, inexperienced world is name calling.
Greater gun controls is the practical suggestion. Kind of obvious, though, so I didn't think it needed explicit mention.

EDIT: Imbecile. 😉

2nd EDIT: No straw men here. Eladar did suggest putting guns into schools (i.e. into the hands of the teachers) as a solution.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

It doesn't matter, because they know they're throwing their life away and planning to do something that very likely will get them killed.

So how do you explain away the vast majority of democracies that have no death penalty and strict gun control? Mass shootings are extremely rare in those countries. Let's see your rhetorical gymnastics about all that.
How do you propose to enact this strict gun control? What will it consist of in Soothfast's America?

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 12

How do you propose to enact this strict gun control? What will it consist of in Soothfast's America?
Christ, just look at any other country. Germany. France. The UK. Is this all just, like, totally new to you?

Houston, Texas

Moves
15 Dec 12

Hopefully, one good thing that will come out of this is increased gun control and bans on guns.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
I have just re-read what I posted and I agree, I generalise a bit too much. Looking at the situation (And general asumption) obviously 99.9% of gun owners are not homicidal maniacs intent on slaughtering innocent boys and girls. I can also understand a situation where, if the state and its organs have failed in its primary duty to protect its citizen ...[text shortened]... are not (Reference the restrictions of gun ownership in the UK after Hungerford, Dunblane, etc.)
The trouble with you rationale is that guns are relatively difficult to purchase in some areas, and nearly impossible in others. For a legal product, nothing is harder to buy than a hand gun.

" if the state and its organs have failed in its primary duty to protect its citizens, that gun ownership becomes a sensible proposition."

What if that is not only true, but the state has repeatedly demonstrated a willingness to kill its people?

Far more people have been murdered by their governments than by homicidal maniacs in the past century, and throughout history.

n

The Catbird's Seat

Moves
15 Dec 12

Christ, just look at any other country. Germany. France. The UK. Is this all just, like, totally new to you?
No concrete suggestions? You do realize that there are millions of guns, and gun owners who are going to resist. What do you propose, and how?

Planet Rain

Moves
15 Dec 12

The trouble with you rationale is that guns are relatively difficult to purchase in some areas, and nearly impossible in others. For a legal product, nothing is harder to buy than a hand gun.

" if the state and its organs have failed in its primary duty to protect its citizens, that gun ownership becomes a sensible proposition."

What if that is not ...[text shortened]... ed by their governments than by homicidal maniacs in the past century, and throughout history.
So tell me, Normy, should private citizens be allowed to keep a stash of plutonium handy "just in case"?

How about land mines, bazookas, or a Tomahawk missile? For or against? And if against, where do you draw the line?