Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    He won't do it again.
    I think you miss the point, as usual.

The mass shooters are prepared to die. Usually they do. Your death penalty proposal would deter none of them.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:09
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Looks like Duchess64 beat me to it!
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:09
    Is it time for people who advocate sensible gun control in the US to accept that the pro gun lobby is made up of retards and psycho's.

How much time do they waste trying to engage with these people that could be spent lobbying within the Democratic Party and or state institutions in order to obtain gun control when and where they can.

Three responses to this tragedy from the pro gun lobby in this thread have been to sentence dead people to death, school your kids at home, and (yeah you guessed it) get more guns on the street.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:11
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    You are honestly saying that the constitutional right to carry guns, essentially with few limitations, does not significantly increase the chances of an event of this horrific barbarity taking place?

The reason that terrible events of this nature continue to happen in the US is the availabilty of guns and acceptability (Both legally and socially) ...[text shortened]... a person to reasonably own a gun.

My prayers to all those touched by this unspeakable tragedy
    The reason why this stuff happens is because people do not take responsibility for protecting themselves and their families. They have bought into the idea that "the government is going to protect you". They have made the government their parents.

It is rather pathetic to see.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:15
    The reason why this stuff happens is because people do not take responsibility for protecting themselves and their families. They have bought into the idea that "the government is going to protect you". They have made the government their parents.

It is rather pathetic to see.
    You're pathetic to see.

What exactly were little kids at school supposed to do to "take responsibility for protecting themselves"? Or is it your idea that the teachers are all supposed to train to become crack shots and keep a rifle under every podium?

You're living in an NRA fantasy land.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:15
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I think you miss the point, as usual.

The mass shooters are prepared to die. Usually they do. Your death penalty proposal would deter none of them.
    Usually killers die?

No, usually they don't. It would be nice if they did.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:17
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    You're pathetic to see.

What exactly were little kids at school supposed to do to "take responsibility for protecting themselves"? Or is it your idea that the teachers are all supposed to train to become crack shots and keep a rifle under every podium?

You're living in an NRA fantasy land.
    The parents were supposed to protect their kids.

If you want the teachers to be parents, then give the teachers guns.

If you want the parents to be parents, then raise your kids yourself and teach your kids at home.
  9. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:18
    Usually killers die?

No, usually they don't. It would be nice if they did.
    It doesn't matter, because they know they're throwing their life away and planning to do something that very likely will get them killed.

So how do you explain away the vast majority of democracies that have no death penalty and strict gun control? Mass shootings are extremely rare in those countries. Let's see your rhetorical gymnastics about all that.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:19
    The parents were supposed to protect their kids.

If you want the teachers to be parents, then give the teachers guns.

If you want the parents to be parents, then raise your kids yourself and teach your kids at home.
    That's the answer, put guns into school!! 🙄
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:20

This post is unavailable.

12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:201 edit
    Jesus Christ what an effing moron you are. So everyone is supposed to live life huddled in isolation in their log cabins, firearms hanging on every wall, self-teaching their kids history, chemistry and calculus by candlelight all day long?

You cannot be effing serious.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:271 edit

This post is unavailable.

14. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:31
    I would love to know if Eladar practices what he preaches. Or, if he doesn't have kids, maybe he should just shut up.
  15. Standard memberInlandRevenueUK
    Cause I'm the taxman
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 23:352 edits
    I have just re-read what I posted and I agree, I generalise a bit too much. Looking at the situation (And general asumption) obviously 99.9% of gun owners are not homicidal maniacs intent on slaughtering innocent boys and girls. I can also understand a situation where, if the state and its organs have failed in its primary duty to protect its citizens, that gun ownership becomes a sensible proposition.

However a general policy of tighter control of arms in the US is at least 20 years overdue. A situation where unstable people are legally permited to own several guns and carry them in public is frankly unacceptable in a civilised society. Like I say even if the vast majority of gun owners are responsible members of society, the state must plan for the minority that are not (Reference the restrictions of gun ownership in the UK after Hungerford, Dunblane, etc.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree