Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 19:05
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Well, gramps 😉 , I just don't know.

The first details (maybe still inaccurate) are a kid who was bright, a goth, a loner, maybe with a personality disorder. Plenty smart enough to work out another way to kill a lot of people if that was his exit strategy.

The question is, why?
    You can't. You can't apply rational thought to an irrational act. I think that kids who start off a little "off" become isolated and get even more "off", to the point where they're just not part of reality anymore. That kind of anger is incomprehensible. Isolation and anger are the common traits between this, Columbine, and Virginia Tech. Where does one cross the line and decide to become evil? Just once I wish one of these sons of bitches would live, so they could be studied, and yes, this is unChristian, suffer. I guess that idiot that shot Gabby Giffords lived; he should be pried apart with every tool in the toolbox. The Federal building - I don't use their names because it's what they would have wanted - that guy killed kids too, and was in possession of his faculties.

I guess my point is you can't always just put it down to insanity. There is evil in the world, it is palpable, and God save us from it.

A few people shined through. The principal, Dawn Hochsprung, was shot and killed as she lunged at the gunman. She died a hero. Someone else in the principal's office keyed the intercom, allowing the rest of the school to hear the scene unfolding in the office. Another teacher took a bullet by shielding an eight-year-old. Still another kept her cool, and kept her kids as calm and quiet as they could be under the circumstances.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 19:06

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 19:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Aha. The light came on. This is the beginning.
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 22:32
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How many more times does this scenario have to get played out before people like you accept the undeniable fact that having high capacity mags legal contributes to the lethality of such incidents? He may have been all of those things, but he doesn't seem to have used anything but what was readily available to him; maybe we should make these people "work" ...[text shortened]... n magazines here: http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=137101&page=&page=7
    Sure, but I doubt that banning a type of clip will solve anything. It's the capacity of the humans we need to worry about.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 22:38
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Sure, but I doubt that banning a type of clip will solve anything. It's the capacity of the humans we need to worry about.
    It wouldn't "solve" the problem. It would, in all likelihood, reduce the carnage and do so without any loss to the fundamental natural right of self-defense. That is something.
  9. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 22:481 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It wouldn't "solve" the problem. It would, in all likelihood, reduce the carnage and do so without any loss to the fundamental natural right of self-defense. That is something.
    Your argument is valid. I'd counter with, well, just buy more 10-round clips.

If you're emptying a 30-round clip in a combat situation, you're in deep kimchee. If you're emptying a 30-round clip in a government overthrow, well, ok, you would do that. The beauty of our system is it's designed so we never get there.

Yeah, ok. No more 30-round clips.

EDIT: the reason that gun advocates defend 30-round clips is the same reason that union advocates defend employment for unqualified individuals. That's today's battle line. If one gives ground today, then what will the opposition come after next? I think, on a lot of issues, if either side had the confidence that the other was negotiating in good faith to settle the issue once and for all, people would feel more comfortable giving ground.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 23:09
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Your argument is valid. I'd counter with, well, just buy more 10-round clips.

If you're emptying a 30-round clip in a combat situation, you're in deep kimchee. If you're emptying a 30-round clip in a government overthrow, well, ok, you would do that. The beauty of our system is it's designed so we never get there.

Yeah, ok. No more 30-roun ...[text shortened]... h to settle the issue once and for all, people would feel more comfortable giving ground.
    I have plenty of 30 round magazines, for either of my magazine fed guns. For most purposes, I also have 5 and 10 round magazines that make the guns far easier to tote, aim, and fire.

Unless you are shooting a full auto assault rifle, I conclude that in most cases the 30 rounders are superfluous. They guy in Aurora, CO had a 100 round drum which jammed (predictably). The larger the magazine capacity, the greater the problem with spring tension loss, metal fatigue. Bad spring tension leads to failure to feed, or in gun jammed in liberal speak. Even large capacity hand gun mags, need to be rotated frequently to avoid spring fatigue. When I carried daily, I never trusted a magazine that was loaded for more than a day or two.

In the end, I don't want some weenie telling me what to do, who has absolutely no concept of the why or wherefore of what equipment I am using.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 23:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I have plenty of 30 round magazines, for either of my magazine fed guns. For most purposes, I also have 5 and 10 round magazines that make the guns far easier to tote, aim, and fire.

Unless you are shooting a full auto assault rifle, I conclude that in most cases the 30 rounders are superfluous. They guy in Aurora, CO had a 100 round drum which jammed ...[text shortened]... what to do, who has absolutely no concept of the why or wherefore of what equipment I am using.
    "Liberal speak"?

So when your gun jams, you don't say "Damn! Gun jammed!" but instead say "Damn! Bad spring tension led to failure to feed!"
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 23:26
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    "Liberal speak"?

So when your gun jams, you don't say "Damn! Gun jammed!" but instead say "Damn! Bad spring tension led to failure to feed!"
    I don't say anything. I just clear the jam, and make a mental note.
  13. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 03:25

Unless you are shooting a full auto assault rifle, I conclude that in most cases the 30 rounders are superfluous. They guy in Aurora, CO had a 100 round drum which jammed ...[text shortened]... what to do, who has absolutely no concept of the why or wherefore of what equipment I am using.
    I get you man. And I don't want it either. We're going to get beaten about the head over this.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 07:101 edit
    edit: belongs on a thread of its own I think
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 08:18

Regular cleaning of feed mechanism and magazine will for the most part solve that issue.

"In the end, I don't want some weenie telling me what to do,"

I think a lot of Americans are waking up to the danger of a 'weenie' with a gun.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree