UK leaving Germany

UK leaving Germany

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 Oct 10

Interesting. Apparently the UK owns half of an Irish province and Ireland the other half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
You're wrong about virtually every thing you claim in this post; are all people educated in the UK so ignorant?
Enlighten me.
Exactly what did I get wrong?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 Oct 10
3 edits

Removed post because I actually don't know that much about this.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Some facts for you.

Northern Ireland (which you erroneously call Ulster) was not split from Ireland.
The Republic of Ireland split from the United Kingdom.
(I agree this was - in retrospect - not a good decision.)
It would be ridiculous now to force a decision on the people of Northern Ireland regardless of what Scots, Welsh or English want.

Hong ...[text shortened]... negotiate a new lease but China was having none of it. A totally different scenario to Ireland.
Starting from the bottom:

Of the treaties listed below, only the 1898 and 1899 agreements affect the modern
boundary between Hong Kong and China. The treaties of 1842 and 1860 provide the legal
basis for Britain's claims to sovereignty in perpetuity over certain areas of the colony.

A. Treaty between Great Britain and China - signed at Nanking, August 29, 1842.
Ratifications exchanged at Hong Kong, June 26, 1843.
According to Article III of the Nanking Treaty, "…the Island of Hong Kong, to be possessed
in perpetuity…
" was ceded by China to Great Britain. The declaration of June 26, 1843,
creating the colony of Hong Kong, however, mentions the island of Hong Kong and its
dependencies. According to early maps, the "dependencies" included a limited number of
small islands located very close to the main island of Hong Kong.
B. Convention of Friendship between Great Britain and China - signed at Pekin(g),
October 24, 1860
Article VI of the Convention states:
"With a view to the maintenance of law and order in and about the harbour of Hong
Kong, His Imperial Majesty the Emperor of China agrees to cede to Her Majesty the
Queen of Great Britain and Ireland…, to have and to hold as a dependency of Her
Britannic Majesty's colony of Hong Kong, that portion of the township of Cowloon, in the
province of Kwang-tung, of which a lease was granted in perpetuity to Harry Smith
Parkes,…on behalf of Her Britannic Majesty's Government…"
"It is further declared that the lease in question is hereby cancelled;…"

http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/limitsinseas/ibs013.pdf

There were some territories on the mainland near Hong Kong which were leased for a 99 year period by a treaty in 1898 but the city itself, along with the city of Kowloon, were leased in "perpetuity" and the UK was under no legal obligation to return these areas to China. And the people living there overwhelmingly opposed reunification with China. Nonetheless, that's exactly what happened.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Interesting. Apparently the UK owns half of an Irish province and Ireland the other half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster
I'm sure there are other examples. Macedonia springs to mind. Half was in Yugoslavia and half in Greece.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Oct 10

Starting from the bottom:

Of the treaties listed below, only the 1898 and 1899 agreements affect the modern
boundary between Hong Kong and China. [b]The treaties of 1842 and 1860 provide the legal
basis for Britain's claims to sovereignty in perpetuity over certain areas of the colony.

A. Treaty between Great Britain and China ...[text shortened]... ingly opposed reunification with China. Nonetheless, that's exactly what happened.[/b]
you omit the 1984 Agreement

but at least you agree with the Irish information I gave you which was what we were talking about

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Oct 10
2 edits

Technically, I should have said part of Ulster was split from Ireland as the Brits kept 6 counties of the province which overall had a Royalist majority and excluded three other counties since if they had been included there would have been a Republican majority overall even in the enclave (again this just shows how arbitrary the division was).

And the Brits split this part of Ulster from Ireland even before the 1921 Treaty establishing the Free State:

In the course of the war, the British Parliament enacted, in December 1920, a Home Rule Bill, providing separate parliaments for six counties of Ulster Province and for the remainder of Ireland.

http://www.iol.ie/~dluby/history.htm

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
you omit the 1984 Agreement

but at least you agree with the Irish information I gave you which was what we were talking about
No, I don't you pompous fool; I was rebutting one piece of your misinformation at a time. The 1984 Agreements were the mechanism for giving back Hong Kong, but contrary to your assertion this was not required because "the lease had run out".

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 Oct 10

Technically, I should have said part of Ulster was split from Ireland as the Brits kept 6 counties of the province which overall had a Royalist majority and excluded three other counties since if they had been included there would have been a Republican majority overall (again this just shows how arbitrary the division was).
Sounds like gerrymandering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
21 Oct 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Sounds like gerrymandering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering
Gerrymandering made possible by ethnic cleansing starting in the 1600's.

T

Moves
21 Oct 10

Why exactly? The enclave cited was created by invasion, occupation, ethnic cleansing and hundreds of years of repression.

Like almost every nation state and territory, then?

What makes a small group favored by its status override the wishes of majorities in both nations to right this historical wrong?

That they constitute the majority in the specific contested territory.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by Teinosuke
[b]Why exactly? The enclave cited was created by invasion, occupation, ethnic cleansing and hundreds of years of repression.

Like almost every nation state and territory, then?

What makes a small group favored by its status override the wishes of majorities in both nations to right this historical wrong?

That they constitute the majority in the specific contested territory.[/b]
Absolutely not. The creation of "Northern Ireland" as an entity was of recent vintage as nation states go (and it isn't even a nation state).

Surely you are not suggesting that every tiny borough any place in the world should be able to join whatever country they please. There is no historic basis for an "Northern Ireland" which, mind you, doesn't even want independence but insists on staying part of a country where a large majority don't want it. Surely allowing such an absurd situation is unprecedented in human history.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
22 Oct 10

No, I don't you pompous fool; I was rebutting one piece of your misinformation at a time. The 1984 Agreements were the mechanism for giving back Hong Kong, but contrary to your assertion this was not required because "the lease had run out".
Was Hong Kong Island in the original lease? Or was it part of the conquered territory?