Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber mbakunin
    Radio Gnome
    25 Oct '12 12:00
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/sep/25/secret-courts-the-essential-guide

    This seems absurd in a democratic state. How can this be reconciled with the right to a fair trial?
  2. 25 Oct '12 19:14
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/sep/25/secret-courts-the-essential-guide

    This seems absurd in a democratic state. How can this be reconciled with the right to a fair trial?
    It cannot be reconciled. The problem is that western democracies who are at war with terrorist organisations such as Al Quaida send suspects of terrorist acts to their courts instead of regarding them as prisoners of war and treat them as such under the Geneva Convention.
  3. 25 Oct '12 19:45
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    It cannot be reconciled. The problem is that western democracies who are at war with terrorist organisations such as Al Quaida send suspects of terrorist acts to their courts instead of regarding them as prisoners of war and treat them as such under the Geneva Convention.
    The problem with the Prisoer of war solution is that suspected combatants will be judged by a military court and will not get released until the end of the war, this could result in prisoners spending the rest of their lives in prison, or conversely, potential recruits for the groups effected might think they will be out relatively quickly due to an optimistic view of their sides ability to win the war.

    By their nature terrorists are problematic for conventional forces and their judicial systems.
  4. 26 Oct '12 07:06
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    This seems absurd in a democratic state. How can this be reconciled with the right to a fair trial?
    It is absurd and cannot be reconciled. But then the UK is not a particularly democratic state is it? You need a lot more than elections for democracy.
  5. 26 Oct '12 13:02
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/sep/25/secret-courts-the-essential-guide

    This seems absurd in a democratic state. How can this be reconciled with the right to a fair trial?
    Why does Bakunin not like Earl Grey?
  6. 26 Oct '12 14:10
    Because proper tea is theft.

    Baboom!
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Oct '12 16:05
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    The problem with the Prisoer of war solution is that suspected combatants will be judged by a military court and will not get released until the end of the war, this could result in prisoners spending the rest of their lives in prison, or conversely, potential recruits for the groups effected might think they will be out relatively quickly due to an optimis ...[text shortened]...
    By their nature terrorists are problematic for conventional forces and their judicial systems.
    It's not difficult.
    A terrorist is generally a criminal and gets judged as one.
    No problemo.
  8. 26 Oct '12 16:33
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's not difficult.
    A terrorist is generally a criminal and gets judged as one.
    No problemo.
    What was Bobby Sands? What was Nelson Mandela?
  9. 26 Oct '12 16:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is absurd and cannot be reconciled. But then the UK is not a particularly democratic state is it? You need a lot more than elections for democracy.
    Relative to?
  10. 27 Oct '12 07:25
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Relative to?
    Do they lock people up for wearing the shirts expressing distaste for the police in Russia. Yes they probably do, so I'd say on a par with Russia. You can vote, but whoever you vote for you're gonna get the government.
  11. 27 Oct '12 07:35
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    Do they lock people up for wearing the shirts expressing distaste for the police in Russia. Yes they probably do, so I'd say on a par with Russia. You can vote, but whoever you vote for you're gonna get the government.
    A link to that case would be nice.
  12. 28 Oct '12 18:56
    Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.
    Here's a link

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/11/manchester-man-jailed-tshirt-police
  13. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    31 Oct '12 20:56
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's not difficult.
    A terrorist is generally a criminal and gets judged as one.
    No problemo.
    Terrorists became a military problem on September 11.
  14. 31 Oct '12 21:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Terrorists became a military problem on September 11.
    Do you mean september the 11th 1973 when a democratic country and it's government were attacked by terrorists?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thq-WysYcZc
  15. 31 Oct '12 21:42
    Originally posted by Dewi Jones
    Sorry, I've been away for the weekend.
    Here's a link

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/oct/11/manchester-man-jailed-tshirt-police
    Thanks, Ok that is a bit shocking given the guy's history, the judge could have, and should have used some leniency after the Police overreacted but failed miserably.

    But I remain unconvinced about on a par with Russia.