1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 16:311 edit
    Only 39,000 jobs added in the whole country in November. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40489052/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/?Gt1=43001

Enough already. It's reached the point where wasting time talking about how much or whether to cut the rich's taxes and what measures are needed to cut the deficit is a luxury we can't afford. The Obama administration needs to propose a major jobs creation plan, something it has refused to do while the situation has spiraled out of control. Specifically:

A public works program of huge proportion to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure.

A real crackdown on those hiring illegals instead of American workers.

Policies severely punishing US firms which take American jobs overseas.

Some kind of big business tax cut conditional on the firm hiring workers. 0% Corporate profit rate if you increase your US payroll of your firm 5% with jobs paying above median wages and providing health care, for example. Expense all purchases of US equipment for investment purposes. Something. Anything.

ANY ideas that aren't typical laissez faire rubbish should be on the table. The "unemployment lags behind recovery" shibboleth is played out; the nation has 30 million un- and under-employed. Do something about it. If the Republicans vote it down, so be it; let it be on their heads.

BUT DO SOMETHING, MR. PRESIDENT.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 16:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BUT DO SOMETHING, MR. PRESIDENT.
    But isn't Obama a "liar, warlord and corporate shill"?
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 16:59
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    But isn't Obama a "liar, warlord and corporate shill"?
    Kinda. Yes. Yes.

But he'd still like a second term presumably and he certainly won't get that if the unemployment rate is near 9.8% in November 2012.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:00
    A public works program of huge proportion to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure.

A real crackdown on those hiring illegals instead of American workers.

Policies severely punishing US firms which take American jobs overseas.

I totally agree.

Instead of simply giving someone money, let the person earn it. Works programs instead of welfare. Sounds great to me.

Make the illegals want to go home because they can't find work here! Couldn't agree more!
  5. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:01
    So you want to cut taxes and start a huge public works program?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:05
    Originally posted by dryhump
    They can raise them on the unproductive rich if they feel the need to raise more revenue. But the deficit isn't our biggest problem and besides we'll never get that under control unless we put America to work again.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:101 edit
    They can raise them on the unproductive rich if they feel the need to raise more revenue. But the deficit isn't our biggest problem and besides we'll never get that under control unless we put America to work again.
    I suppose some shift away from decorticated consumerism is called for.

Crowd-sourcing has proved helpful in ameliorating disasters around the world (Ushahidi) -- it might be useful in finding solutions to meeting basic needs (food, shelter) as well as building communities that are, well, communal.

Another solution would be to round up the unemployed and force them to build compounds for the rich, the way it's done (effectively) in Burma. Technology has rendered many occupations redundant -- do such people really deserve to live?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:11
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I suppose some shift away from decorticated consumerism is called for.

Crowd-sourcing has proved helpful in ameliorating disasters around the world (Ushahidi) -- it might be useful in finding solutions to meeting basic needs (food, shelter) as well as building communities that are, well, communal.

Another solution would be to round up the unemployed and force them to build compounds for the rich, the way it's done (effectively) in Burma.
    I would rather they built scaffolds.
  9. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:11
    What about getting the people on unemployment and other entitlement programs onto some public works programs? A frequent criticism of these programs is that people don't do anything for the money.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:12
    I see nothing wrong with increasing tax rates on those who make more than 250K.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:14
    What about getting the people on unemployment and other entitlement programs onto some public works programs? A frequent criticism of these programs is that people don't do anything for the money.
    I just proposed that. Of course, they'd have to be paid a fair wage.
  12. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:20
    I just proposed that. Of course, they'd have to be paid a fair wage.
    I should have been more clear. If there are public works programs to be done, people collecting unemployment should be working on them while they are collecting unemployment. Kind of like community service. When you sign up for unemployment you are committing to x number of hours a week. This would help with skill training also.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:25
    I should have been more clear. If there are public works programs to be done, people collecting unemployment should be working on them while they are collecting unemployment. Kind of like community service. When you sign up for unemployment you are committing to x number of hours a week. This would help with skill training also.
    And that would help the economy how? America needs to get people working at decent wages not subject those unemployed through not fault of their own to essentially punishment by making them labor at sub minimum wages.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:26
    I would rather they built scaffolds.
    The parallels with '89 are there but this time Leroy's military's in better shape.

The rejuvenated workforce could always hang evildoers from the scaffolding of their new building projects.
  15. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    03 Dec '10 17:35
    And that would help the economy how? America needs to get people working at decent wages not subject those unemployed through not fault of their own to essentially punishment by making them labor at sub minimum wages.
    Skill training is very important in getting people back to work. The unskilled workers are the ones hit hardest by high unemployment. Put them to work 20 hrs a week learning to do a job that's in demand. It could be sort of an unpayed internship, if you don't like the term community service. They would still be drawing unemployment, though, so it would be better for them and good for the company who gets to train and preview a potential employee.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree