1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 21:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Americans are too lazy to work hard is a lie. You saying it over and over and over again doesn't make it less so.
    I'm not saying. Very smart people are. I don't state my opinions. I state facts. Unlike most of you yahoo's. Oh, and laziness has NOTHING to do with it. It has to do with compensation for labour. I'm sure most americans would work 16 hour days if they made one million dollars a day.

Think before you speak.

I suggest you read the rest of my post.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 21:44
    Originally posted by uzless
    I'm not saying. Very smart people are. I don't state my opinions. I state facts. Unlike most of you yahoo's. Oh, and laziness has NOTHING to do with it. It has to do with compensation for labour. I'm sure most americans would work 16 hour days if they made one million dollars a day.

Think before you speak.

I suggest you read the rest of my post.
    I've read your posts. If the legal supply of labor won't work at the wages offered, then the employers will have to offer higher ones according to the laws of supply and demand. As already mentioned, agriculture in particular and businesses in general are currently awash in profits; they should not be rewarded by artificially depressing wage rates by illegal means.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 21:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I've read your posts. If the legal supply of labor won't work at the wages offered, then the employers will have to offer higher ones according to the laws of supply and demand. As already mentioned, agriculture in particular and businesses in general are currently awash in profits; they should not be rewarded by artificially depressing wage rates by illegal means.
    You obviously DIDN'T read my post because what you just said is BS as outlined in the facts i stated about the lettuce industry in 2004 following the immigration crackdown.

Rather than increase wages and hire americans to harvest the produce, they let the food rot because they would have lost MORE money harvesting and paying higher wages than letting it rot. They took a BILLION dollar loss, rather than hire Americans at hire wages.

Your OPINIONS are a waste of time. Facts speak for themselves.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 22:071 edit
    You obviously DIDN'T read my post because what you just said is BS as outlined in the facts i stated about the lettuce industry in 2004 following the immigration crackdown.

Rather than increase wages and hire americans to harvest the produce, they let the food rot because they would have lost MORE money harvesting and paying higher wages than letting it ro ...[text shortened]... ire Americans at hire wages.

Your OPINIONS are a waste of time. Facts speak for themselves.
    You edited that in AFTER I posted. How dishonest can you get?

The article you posted is from 2006 when employment was almost at "full" levels. Figure out what the effect on wages would be now with massive amounts of un- and underemployment.

And if their businesses really can't be run by paying legal wages, then they should go out of business but I seriously doubt that would happen. As the FACTS I already cited make clear, profits in agriculture are at 30 year highs.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 14:451 edit
    I agree -- impose extremely strict laws to make sure no one employs illegals. If the wages are high enough, enough citizens and legal residents can be found to do the work.

Then we figure out how to help Mexico create a first-world economy that can employ all of its own people at reasonable wages. Is there any reason why living standards have to drop precipitously just because you cross a river?
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 19:29
    The state is still stuck with a stubbornly high unemployment rate and few job openings, but things may be looking up for California in the year ahead.

That's the conclusion of two forecasts released this week by UCLA and Chapman University in Orange. Both predict that California's economy will expand at a faster pace than the nation's, thanks in part to improvement in global trade and the technology sector.

"The growth sectors in manufacturing are computers and electronics, medical devices and aerospace components," said Jerry Nickelsburg, senior economist of the UCLA Anderson Forecast. "Those are proportionally California export items."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1207-econ-forecast-20101207,0,226435.story?track=rss

Los Angeles will benefit from its coastal location and recover from the recession more quickly than the state, forecasters said, as international trade and consumer spending in other parts of the country rebound.

"With its natural, deep-water harbor, large-scale logistics industry and export-oriented manufacturing, L.A. is well positioned to benefit from an export-driven expansion," economist Julia Thornton Snider wrote.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/15/business/la-fi-ucla-forecast-20100615

You can breathe easy, folks. Your liberal crutch is getting back on it's feet. Soon it can start funding your welfare states again like it used to so you can bite the hand that feeds you, you ungrateful punks 😠
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 19:31
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I agree -- impose extremely strict laws to make sure no one employs illegals. If the wages are high enough, enough citizens and legal residents can be found to do the work.

Then we figure out how to help Mexico create a first-world economy that can employ all of its own people at reasonable wages. Is there any reason why living standards have to drop precipitously just because you cross a river?
    The US military, FBI and police are not permitted to secure the area across the river. Thus, it's much less safe and business cannot operate properly.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 20:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The US military, FBI and police are not permitted to secure the area across the river. Thus, it's much less safe and business cannot operate properly.
    So why can't Mexico put together its own FBI, police, and troops? Perhaps the US could help it do this?
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 20:09
    So why can't Mexico put together its own FBI, police, and troops? Perhaps the US could help it do this?
    One of the complicating factors is that the insurgents are American trained (i.e. specialized counterinsurgency training for Mexican Special Forces who turned on Mexico - the Zetas - and by bleeding alongside other Americans in infantry units in Iraq and Afghanistan - for example, Florencia 13 apparently has people in the Armed Forces - and their military grade weaponry is being smuggled from the United States through their contacts in the Marines, Army, SEALs etc. They are also being funded from the US illegal drug market. This is their safe haven (for the citizens anyway). We're like Pakistan that way.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 21:14
    Mexico has the means, it's just that their government is corrupt and officials are easily bribed by drug cartels. In addition to that the current president is a "hardliner" and thus benefits from keeping the drug problems.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 22:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Mexico has the means, it's just that their government is corrupt and officials are easily bribed by drug cartels. In addition to that the current president is a "hardliner" and thus benefits from keeping the drug problems.
    but is the US really that much different in this regard?
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 23:13

Again, scroll back to the previous page to my post at the bottom about the article i posted.

it explains why your point isn't valid.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 23:48
    Again, scroll back to the previous page to my post at the bottom about the article i posted.

it explains why your point isn't valid.
    That article is out of date; it was written when the US was at near full employment, not having a prolonged period of high unemployment with record numbers of people being unemployed for long periods. The "logic" in it if ever valid is certainly not valid anymore.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree