Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 02:24
    Yes, Utopian Socialism. The topic of our times. I'd say more about it here, but I'd rather say something about it on the Facebook group I started just today that is dedicated to the topic. So...anyway...if you're the type who likes to prattle on endlessly about the ins and outs of Utopian Socialism (and I know you are), then I encourage you to join my sparkly new Facebook group. I hope to turn it into Facebook's premier group on the topic...which shouldn't be too hard as there aren't any others.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/321668098319257/

    Sorry for the shameless plug.
  2. 07 Jan '18 02:28
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    Yes, Utopian Socialism. The topic of our times. I'd say more about it here, but I'd rather say something about it on the Facebook group I started just today that is dedicated to the topic. So...anyway...if you're the type who likes to prattle on endlessly about the ins and outs of Utopian Socialism (and I know you are), then I encourage you to join my spar ...[text shortened]... ny others.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/321668098319257/

    Sorry for the shameless plug.
    If you really want to go Amish I say just do it.
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 02:38
    Originally posted by @whodey
    If you really want to go Amish I say just do it.
    If you had said "Hutterite", your post might have made sense. But "Amish" is not related in any conceivable way.
  4. 07 Jan '18 03:16
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    If you had said "Hutterite", your post might have made sense. But "Amish" is not related in any conceivable way.
    of course it is related. You must not know the Amish way of life.
  5. 07 Jan '18 09:20
    I think planned communities that strive to fulfill their ideals are very interesting.
  6. 07 Jan '18 10:33
    A utopian society should not contain fvcking Facebook.
  7. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    07 Jan '18 11:34
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    Yes, Utopian Socialism. The topic of our times. I'd say more about it here, but I'd rather say something about it on the Facebook group I started just today that is dedicated to the topic. So...anyway...if you're the type who likes to prattle on endlessly about the ins and outs of Utopian Socialism (and I know you are), then I encourage you to join my spar ...[text shortened]... ny others.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/321668098319257/

    Sorry for the shameless plug.
    What a curious oxymoron you are at times. Rather than put your energy into pointless Facebook pages and generating more income for the corporate giants who feed off of the personal information and advertising, why don’t you resign from your job, sell up your home and go start up one of these committees and show the world how it’s done?
  8. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 12:07
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    of course it is related. You must not know the Amish way of life.
    Unlike the Hutterites, who live communally and hold all goods in common, the Amish do not. The Amish maintain private ownership of property and businesses. There is a difference between having a tight-knit community and living communally.
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 13:26
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What a curious oxymoron you are at times. Rather than put your energy into pointless Facebook pages and generating more income for the corporate giants who feed off of the personal information and advertising, why don’t you resign from your job, sell up your home and go start up one of these committees and show the world how it’s done?
    I'm up to seven members. Join now and you could be amongst my first twelve disciples.
  10. 07 Jan '18 13:56
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    I'm up to seven members. Join now and you could be amongst my first twelve disciples.
    At what point do the corporate giants condemn you to die on a cross?
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 14:48
    Originally posted by @whodey
    At what point do the corporate giants condemn you to die on a cross?
    Because Utopian Socialists do not aim to seize state power, they typically manage to avoid the wrath of the state. Altering the composition of society gradually from the bottom-up gives the state no crisis moment to lash out against.
  12. 07 Jan '18 15:09
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    Because Utopian Socialists do not aim to seize state power, they typically manage to avoid the wrath of the state. Altering the composition of society gradually from the bottom-up gives the state no crisis moment to lash out against.
    Well as long as you don't create a pot of money they should leave you alone.

    However, if you do.......the cancer follows the blood supply and will engulf you.
  13. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 15:37
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Well as long as you don't create a pot of money they should leave you alone.

    However, if you do.......the cancer follows the blood supply and will engulf you.
    To use the Hutterites again as a rough example, there are 45,000 Hutterites, orgainized into 462 colonies, throughout the western US and Canada. That must be worth quite a bit, but their mode of life makes them more or less impervious to all but the most egregious abuses of state or corporate power.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Jan '18 16:34
    Originally posted by @rwingett
    Yes, Utopian Socialism. The topic of our times. I'd say more about it here, but I'd rather say something about it on the Facebook group I started just today that is dedicated to the topic. So...anyway...if you're the type who likes to prattle on endlessly about the ins and outs of Utopian Socialism (and I know you are), then I encourage you to join my spar ...[text shortened]... ny others.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/321668098319257/

    Sorry for the shameless plug.
    Sorry, I'm more of a Libertarian Socialist and regard such a group as schismatics. I bet most of the people in it supported the the Judean People's Front rather than the true revolutionaries of the The People's Front of Judea.
  15. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    07 Jan '18 17:15
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Sorry, I'm more of a Libertarian Socialist and regard such a group as schismatics. I bet most of the people in it supported the the Judean People's Front rather than the true revolutionaries of the The People's Front of Judea.
    Well, at least that's amusing